Information Sheet No.A-0027 (r)

My name is Bertil Lintner and I am foreign correspondent based in
Bangkok. I am also a former president of the Foreign Correspondents
Club of Thailand. Okkar, whoever he is, represents a government which
publishes the New Light of Myanmar - probably the worst newspaper in
the world - and he has no right to criticise any other newsagency or
publication as long as his own paper runs articles which are not only
full of lies but also libellous and slanderous to the extent that any
person in a free and democratic country could sue the paper for
damages. Many members of the FCCT have tried to sue the so-called New
Light of Myanmar for libel, but since the paper is published in Burma
- a totally lawless country - this has not been possible until now.
But if "Okkar" and others distribute its lies and slander
internationally, the whole issue of a lawsuit agaist the New Light of
Myanmar comes into a different light, and I am certain legal action
will follow. Journalistic ethics and international law applies to
everyone, including the New Light of Myanmar.

Bertil Lintner
PO Box 277
Phrakhanong Post Office
Bangkok 10110