The BurmaNet News, March 10, 1997

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: March 10, 1997
Issue #662

HEADLINES:
==========
NCUB: PRESS RELEASE NO [14]
WASHINGTON POST: IT'S PAST TIME FOR U.S. SANCTIONS
WASHINGTON POST:CAMPAIGN HAS BUSINESS FIGHTING
THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR:NEWS BRIEFS
SAMPLE LETTER TO US REPRESENTATIVES RE UNOCAL
ANNOUNCEMENT: HOMEPAGE-MUSLIMS OF BURMA

NCUB: PRESS RELEASE NO [14]
March 9, 1997

N A T I O N A L   C O U N C I L   OF THE   U N I O N   OF  B U R M A

		Diarrhoea outbreak in Refugee camps abating

	Border sources reported today that a medical NGO staff had received full
cooperation from the Thai authorities to gain access to refugees in the
Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi areas who are suffering from severe Diarrhoea.
"Access has not been easy and the NGOs have had to tightly follow the
bureaucratic procedures to gain access, but access is no longer being
denied," the other report said.
	Though the outbreak has been severe, and there have been more than 10
deaths, aid workers still characterise the illness as "serious watery
Diarrhoea" until laboratory test have been completed. Since access has been
gained  sources yesterday said that the  outbreak seems to be coming under
control and that it is now possible to deliver medicine.
	"Finally, NGOs and journalists are allowed access to the refugees in these
areas and we really appreciate the Royal Thai Army's assistance," said a
spokesperson of the NCUB.
	"Historically, Royal Thai government has taken care of the people fleeing
brutal oppression in its neighboring countries, including refugees from
Burma who seek safety from the SLORC military's escalating atrocities." a
senior person from the NCUB said.
	NCUB hopes that Royal Thai government will continue to offer refuge for
fleeing Karen refuges.

Information Committee
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB)

***************************

WASHINGTON POST: IT'S PAST TIME FOR U.S. SANCTIONS
March 2 1997
By Sumana Chatterjee

A LOOK AT . . . The Legacy of Two Nobel Prizes: In Burma, It's Past Time For
the U.S. to Impose Sanctions

When the State Department released its annual Human Rights report card in
January, there was much anticipation about how tough it would be on China.
But I anxiously awaited word on that other repressive Asian regime -- the
one that also massacred its students during mass demonstrations, imprisons
dissidents, relies on forced labor and stifles pro-democracy movements while
encouraging investors to reap the benefits of its
vast natural resources. I looked for information on Burma, China's neighbor
and protege.

I wanted to see if the report mentioned any of the students I met in
Rangoon during the demonstrations there in December. In the three months
since my deportation, I have wondered what happened to
them. Most likely they are among the nameless hundreds whom Burma's ruling
State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) announced in January that it
had detained, arrested, tried and imprisoned for seven years. They will
spend their twenties building the roads for "Visit Myanmar Year" (Burma was
renamed Myanmar by the military government when it took control eight years
ago).

The report didn't elaborate much on the students, but it made clear that
large-scale repression is growing. It said: "the Government's severe
repression of human rights increased during 1996, even as increased economic
activity fostered the appearance of greater normalcy. Out of sight of most
visitors, citizens continued to live subject at any time and without appeal
to the arbitrary and sometimes brutal dictates of the military
dictatorship . . . There continue to be credible reports . . . that soldiers
committed serious human rights abuses including extra-judicial
killing and rape. Disappearances continued, and members of the
security forces  beat and otherwise abused detainees."

Surely to the relief of the generals who run the country, that scathing
report card seems to have faded into the background. They must feel they
have skated past the law that President Clinton signed in September saying
that the United States would cut off new investment if "the Government of
Burma has physically harmed, rearrested for political acts, or exiled
[pro-democracy leader] Aung San Suu Kyi or has committed large-scale
repression or violence against the democratic opposition." In the wake of
the State Department report, several congressmen have urged the White House
to impose those sanctions and Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has scheduled
hearings for April.

That's too late. What I and a few others have seen, and what State
Department reported, makes me certain that sanctions must be imposed on
Burma now. U.S. companies must be discouraged, or prevented, from doing
business there.

True, Aung San, who was awarded the Nobel Peace prize in 1991, has not been
harmed, rearrested or exiled yet. Her international stature has afforded her
a certain amount of protection, though she lives under virtual house arrest.
While she is a potent symbol, she is not the whole story.

The real measure of a democracy comes from the people who struggle every day
to abide by their principles. We should judge the health of the Burmese
democracy movement by the freedom of all its people to assemble, organize
and express themselves as they wish.

Having spoken to many Burmese and witnessed some of the demonstrations
during a three-week visit, it's clear to me that "large-scale repression" is
the way of life in Burma.

In May, the SLORC detained more than 260 members of Aung San's National
League for Democracy (NLD). Seven remain in custody. In August, the
government arrested 26 NLD activists for "spreading disinformation and
threatening the stability of the State." September -- the same month Clinton
signed the sanctions threat-- 560 more NLD members were detained and
prevented from holding the first All-Burma Congress. In December, SLORC
detained over 200 people "whom they accuse of
aiding and abetting the student protests." Another 100 NLD
members were arrested since December.

It was the student protests I was most familiar with. In December,
Rangoon witnessed the first large demonstrations since 1988 -- when the
military massacred thousands of students.

No one could have predicted that the desire for a student union would
galvanize the dormant political will of the Rangoon Institute of Technology
and Rangoon University student bodies.

These students were children when some of their brothers and sisters were
gunned down by the SLORC in 1988. Without personal run-ins with the
government, the students described themselves as apolitical. But their
seemingly simple demand to form a student union was seen as promoting a
dangerous democratic institution. It threatened the stability of the
military regime so much so that riot police equipped with water cannons and
machine guns eventually arrived.

Two thousand earnest voices chanted through the night for the right to
assemble. They chanted the Burmese equivalent of "What do we want? Student
Union! When do we want it? Now!"

One of the bold students, without regard to possibly treasonous
consequences, said to me, "First we establish our human rights, then all
people, all the nation."

That's exactly what the government fears. First the students, the
apolitical, the naive, then who knows what the experienced opposition will
attempt? The SLORC carted away those young people, closed down the
universities and has yet to reconvene classes. The students I spoke with
told me they had been beaten while in custody. (Shortly afterward, I was
made toleave the country with no explanation -- though I'm certain it was
because I had been seen talking with students.)

I recall my many conversations with Burmese of all kinds who told me that
their Buddhist patience will one day give way to direct confrontation. When,
how, where? At the proper time, I was told.

Meanwhile, Burma remains a lucrative market for 50 U.S. companies. Our
government's current policy -- which amounts to the same "constructive
engagement" we extend to China -- does nothing to promote the "proper time"
for a pro-democracy movement to flourish. Instead, continued investment
fortifies the SLORC military dictatorship. Kickbacks and a
trickle-down economy solidify the rule of the few over the many.

Money made from American firms like Texaco and Unocal -- not to mention the
hundreds of non-American companies like German munitions maker Fritz-Werner
and Total, the French natural gas conglomerate -- funnels directly into the
military hardware and the         surveillance apparatus of the
authoritarian state. After years of this commercial engagement, even the
State Department recognizes that the SLORC has given no sign of willingness
to cede its hold on absolute power. The generals have continued to refuse to
allow a return to the rule of law and respect for basic human rights."

At least some companies are getting the message that Burma is a bad place to
be associated with. Since November, according to the Investor Responsibility
Research Center, these companies have pulled out: Hewlett-Packard, Carlsberg
Brewery Ltd., Black & Veatch, J.C. Penney, J. Crew, Bradlees and PepsiCo.

In PepsiCo.'s case, it responded to a two-year boycott of its products on
some college campuses. The Free Burma Coalition, through a grass-roots
campaign, persuaded campuses like Harvard to ban Pepsi and Stanford to kill
plans for a Taco Bell. Now the campaign has set its sights on Texaco and
Unocal, whose billion-dollar investments in Burma's oil and gas
industry greatly overshadow any other American firms.

 Those investments should be the last in Burma until it changes its ways.
Although the sanctions law would not affect present investments (much to the
chagrin of its supporters), all future investments would be blocked. The
administration may be reluctant to act on its own, but no one else will take
the lead -- not Singapore, not Thailand, not the United Kingdom, not France
and certainly not China.

Recently, Aung San implored an audience at American University here: "Please
use your liberty to promote ours." She could not say so in person and still
be allowed to return to her homeland. So her husband, Michael Aris,
delivered the Nobel laureate's convocation speech, as he has done in the past.

As President Clinton has said, "Through our size, our strength, our relative
wealth and also through the power of our example, America has a unique
ability to shape a world of greater security and prosperity, peace and
freedom." In Burma, the president has the opportunity to do just that.

Sumana Chatterjee is a freelance journalist who traveled to Burma
late last year.

                         THE PRIZE

SUU KYI AUNG SAN (Burma): Lives in Burma; at age 51, she is the leader of
the National League for Democracy there. Her father was Gen. Aung San,
Burma's first post-colonial leader. In 1990 she would have been
overwhelmingly elected prime minister if her party had been allowed to
govern. But the election was invalidated by military leaders and she was
placed under house arrest. She was awarded the Nobel the next year.

NOBEL CITATION: Her desire "to show support for the many people throughout
the world who are striving to attain democracy, human rights and ethnic
conciliation by peaceful means."

*************************

WASHINGTON POST:BURMA CAMPAIGN HAS BUSINESS FIGHTING TREND TOWARD SANCTIONS
March 4 1997
By Paul Blustein

As a place to do business, there are few countries lousier than Burma. The
average Burmese earns less than $300 a year, and the military regime keeps
its heavy bureaucratic hand on an economy so poor its entire output is
roughly equal to that of Eastman Kodak Co.

But despite Burma's lack of appeal as an overseas market, the U.S. corporate
community is up in arms over a potent drive to sever U.S.-Burma economic
ties on human rights grounds.

Burma's junta (which calls the country Myanmar) is the latest of several
regimes to be targeted for U.S. economic sanctions - Cuba, Iran and Libya
were hit last year -- and corporate lobbyists are fuming that such penalties
are getting out of hand. Restricting U.S. trade and investment with Burma,
they fear, will make it much more difficult to stop similar measures from
being imposed on other countries with human rights problems -- and much
greater economic significance as markets for U.S. goods.

"It's not just Burma; people are talking now about sanctions on Indonesia,"
said Howard Lewis, vice president for trade and technology at the National
Association of Manufacturers. "They're talking about Nigeria, Pakistan,
Turkey. So companies view this not just as a matter of Burma, but a
continuation of a really unfortunate trend that has mushroomed over the last
couple of years."

In a report to be issued by the NAM today, the business community is
launching a campaign aimed at convincing Congress, the Clinton
administration and the public that the United States is wielding sanctions
far too often against objectionable regimes such as Burma's and that the
main victims are usually U.S. companies and workers.

The campaign is being led by the National Foreign Trade Council, an industry
group that has retained two top lobbyists with ties to both major parties:
former Reagan administration trade representative Clayton Yeutter and former
Carter administration official Anne Wexler.

The report lists 35 countries that have, in one way or another, been hit by
U.S. sanctions over the past four years, reversing a previous approach of
"relative restraint" in the use of such measures.  Although the report
acknowledges that embargoes can work when many countries join in isolating a
rogue nation --the multilateral sanctions against South Africa's apartheid
regime being a prime example -- it argues that Washington is
increasingly resorting to futile gestures by acting unilaterally.

Burma is shaping up as a particularly troubling test case for the
corporate community. The nation's ruling clique, the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC), is among the most widely reviled in the world;
it refused to accept the democratic opposition's overwhelming victory in a
1990 election and continues to crush dissent. The Nobel Prize-winning
opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, recently called on other nations to
block investment in her country.

Senior administration officials met last month to consider invoking an
investment ban on Burma under a law passed last year. Meanwhile, a number of
local U.S. jurisdictions, including Massachusetts and San Francisco, have
enacted legislation to penalize multinational companies doing business in
Burma by making them ineligible for state and city contracts.

The laws are starting to exert an effect; Apple Computer Inc., for
example, withdrew from Burma last October in order to maintain its business
supplying Massachusetts with educational computers. PepsiCo Inc. announced
in January that it would pull all of its business out of Burma in
recognition of toughened U.S. policy toward the country and in deference to
the wishes of many shareholders and customers.

All this is disturbing for business -- and awkward for the administration --
because it raises serious questions of double standards: Can Burma be
sanctioned for human rights violations without the same being done to richer
countries?

Especially ticklish is the issue of China, because President Clinton bases
much of his case for "engagement" there on the contention that the best way
to promote democracy is through economic growth and the development of a
middle class.

The administration, one U.S. official said, may have to resort to the
argument that applying sanctions to Burma makes sense because,        unlike
China, "it doesn't have the world's fastest-growing economy,
doesn't have a billion people, and doesn't have a military that can
destabilize the whole Pacific Rim." Drawing a distinction between Burma and
Indonesia -- a country with a thriving economy and the world's
fourth-largest population, though not as big or important as China's -- will
be even trickier, administration officials admit.

The corporate community was upset last year when Congress enacted laws
penalizing foreign companies doing business in Cuba, Iran and Libya because
the actions raised the prospect that other governments would retaliate. But
those laws were aimed at countries that were perceived as having taken some
hostile action toward the United States. Now, the threat of sanctions is
spreading to all sorts of regimes viewed as odious for one
reason or another.

Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy (D-R.I.) has introduced a bill that would
restrict investment in Indonesia as punishment for the Jakarta regime's
repression in East Timor. Other lawmakers are pressing the State Department
to invoke sanctions against Turkey for expanding its economic ties with Iran.

In Massachusetts, the legislature is considering a bill that would bar the
state from dealing with companies that do business in Indonesia; state
officials already maintain a long list of U.S. and foreign firms that are
barred because of their Burma ties. In neighboring Connecticut and in New
York City, anti-Burma bills are under consideration.

Human rights advocates assert that U.S. sanctions against Burma, even if not
followed by other countries, would at least encourage other countries into
taking a harder line with the Rangoon regime.

And Burma can be singled out for punishment without affecting the
argument about China, contended Mike Jendrzejczyk, the Washington director
of Human Rights Watch/Asia.

"In China, at least there's some possibility that over the long term, if
economic engagement is accompanied by sustained political pressure, then
economic reform could lead to political reform," Jendrzejczyk said. "In
Burma, I don't think you can make that case with any credibility. You have a
military government that controls the economy and uses economic investment
to keep itself in power."

But Unocal Corp., a Los Angeles-based oil company that is one of the few
U.S. firms with a sizable stake in Burma, argues that a dangerous precedent
may be set. Officials of the company deride suggestions that a prohibition
on U.S. business dealings would help the cause of human rights there; they
point out that the United States accounts for just 3 percent of Burma's
trade and 8 percent of its foreign investments.

Imposing sanctions on Burma, said Jack Rafuse, manager of Unocal's
Washington office, would be no more effective than "stamping your foot and
turning your back."

*********

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR:NEWS BRIEFS (3.4.97)
March 4, 1997

DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER RECEIVES PRESIDENT OF EAST ASIA GOLD CORP OF CANADA

     YANGON, 3 March- Member of the State Law and Order Restoration Council
Deputy Prime Minister Chairman of Myanmar Investment Commission Vice-Admiral
Maung Maung Khin received president of East Asia Gold Corp, Canada, Mr John
B Hite at his office this Afternoon. They discussed exploration for gold and
copper deposits in Myanmar, survey work and investment opportunities.
Minister at the Deputy Prime Ministers' Office Secretary of MIC Brig-Gen
Maung Maung and officials were also present.

MINISTER FOR HOTELS AND TOURISM RECEIVES PRESIDENT OF MYANMAR MCG CORPORATION

     YANGON, 3 March - Member of the State Law and Order Restoration Council
Minister for Hotels and Tourism Lt-Gen Kyaw Ba received President of Myanmar
MCG Corporation Ltd Mr Kokiono Dera and party at his office this afternoon.
They discussed measures for opening Yangon International Hotel early this
year and opening of an information branch office in Tokyo, Japan.
     ___________________________________

MYANMAR DELEGATION LEAVES FOR CHINA

     YANGON, 3 March -Myanmar delegation led by Minister for Livestock and
Fisheries U Aung Thaung left here by air for People's Republic of China this
morning to study livestock and fisheries sector there at the invitation from
PRC. The delegation includes Director-General of Fisheries
Department U Soe Win, Manaing Director of Livestock, Foodstuff
and Milk Products Enterprise U Maung Maung Nyunt, Minister's
PSO Lieu-tenant Myo Aung, Secretary, of Taungtha Township USDA U Thaung
Sein, Secretary of Kachin State USDA U Soe Thein and Director of Fisheries
Department U Hla Win.
     ____________________________________

MINISTER RECEIVES DEPUTY PRESIDENT OF GUANGDONG NEW TECHNOLOGY IMPORT &
EXPORT ZHUHAI CORP

     YANGON, 3 March-Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation Lt-Gen Myint
Aung received Deputy President Mr.Sze Siu Wa and  party of Guangdong New
Technology Import & Export Zhuhai  Corporation of the People's Republic of
China at his office at 3 pm today. They discussed matters relating to
building of a sugar mill. It is to be jointly built by GNTIEZC and Myanmar
Sugarcane Enterprise in accord with policy and guide lines laid down by the
State.

**********************

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS BRIEFS (3.3.97)
March 3, 1997

SENIOR GENERAL THAN SHWE SENDS FELICITATIONS TO KING HASSAN II OF MOROCCO

     YANGON, 3 March-Senior General Than Shwe, Chairman of the State Law and
Order Restoration Council of the Union of Myanmar, has sent a message of
felicitations to His Majesty King Hassan II, Kingdom of Morocco, on the
occasion of the National Day of the Kingdom of Morocco which falls on 3
March 1997.

SENIOR GENERAL THAN SHWE SENDS FELICITATIONS TO PRESIDENT OF REPUBLIC OF
BULGARIA

     YANGON, 3 March-Senior General Than Shwe, Chairman of the State Law and
Order Restoration Council of the Union of Myanmar, has sent a message of
felicitations to His Excellency Mr Petar Stoyanov, President of the Republic
of Bulgaria, on the occasion of the Anniversary of the Nation Day of the
Republic of  Bulgaria which falls on 3 March,1997.
     ______________________________________

MYANMAR FULLY PREPARED TO IMPROVE LINKAGES IN ALL MODES TRANSPORT WITH ALL
COUNTRIES IN AND OUTSIDE THE REGION

     YANGON, 2 March - Minister for Transport Lt-Gen Thein Win attended the
Second ASEAN Transport Ministers (ATM) Meeting in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, at 9
am on 28 February and delivered a statement.
The minister was accompanied by Managing Director of  Myanma Port Authority
U Tin Oo and Minister's Personal Staff Officer Maj Maung Maung Htwe. The
meeting at Western Chiang Mai Hotel was attended by
transport ministers of seven ASEAN member countries-Brunei, Indonesia,
Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and  Vietnam-and those of
Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar (CLM). After an inaugural speech by Minister of
Transport and Communications Mr Suwat Liptapanlop of Thailand, his ASEAN and
CLM counterparts delivered statements.

DEPUTY MINISTER FOR HEALTH RETURNS FROM INDONESIA

     YANGON, 2 March-Deputy Minister for Health Col Than Zin
arrived back here from Indonesia after attending the Health Secretaries
Meeting of South-East Asia Region held on Bali Island, Indonesia from 24 to
27 February. He also acted as Adviser to the Regional Director.
Director-General of Planning and Statistics Department Dr Kyi Soe of the
Ministry also arrived back here with the Deputy Minister.

************************

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS BRIEFS (3.5.97)
March 5, 1997

CHAIRMAN OF CHIEFS OF STAFF COMMITTEE OF INDIA AND CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF ARRIVES

     YANGON, 4 March-At the invitation of Vice-Chairman of the State Law and
Order Restoration Council Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services
Commander-in-Chief (Army) General Maung Aye, Chairman of Chiefs of Staff
Committee of India and Chief of Army Staff General S Roychowdhury and party
arrived!here by the special aircraft this afternoon.
     ____________________________________

VICE-CHAIRMAN OF THE STATE LAW AND ORDER RESTORATION COUNCIL RECEIVES
CHAIRMAN OF CHIEFS OF STAFF COMMITTEE OF INDIA

     YANGON, 4 March-Vice-Chairman of the State Law and Order
Restoration Council Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services
Commander-in-Chief (Army) General Maung Aye received General S Roychowdhury,
Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee of India and Chief of Army Staff and
party at the Tatmadaw Hall of Zeya Thiri Beikman at Konmyint-tha this evening.
     ____________________________________

SECRETARY-1 RECEIVES VICE-CHAIRMAN OF RELIGIOUS BUREAU OF PRC

     YANGON, 4 March-Secretary- 1 of the State Law and Order Restoration
Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt received Vice-Chairman of Religious Bureau of the
People's Republic of China Mr Yang Tongxiang at Dagon Yeiktha of the
Ministry of Defence this afternoon.

******************

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR : NEWS BRIEFS (3.6.97)
March 6, 1997

BUDDHA'S TOOTH RELIC CONVEYED BACK TO PRC SECRETARY-1, SECRETARY-2,
MINISTERS AND BUDDHIST LAITY PAY REVERENCE

     YANGON, 5 March-Buddha's Tooth Relic conveyed to Myanmar under the
programme for promoting friendly relations and cooperation between the Union
of Myanmar and the People's Republic of China and placed together with the
Tooth Relics (Yangon) and (Mandalay) in the two cities for 90 days was
conveyed back to PRC this afternoon.

     Chairman of the Committee for Conveying Buddha's Tooth
Relic from PRC Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order
Restoration Council Secretary-l Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, Secretary-2
Lt-Gen Tin Oo, the ministers, senior Tatmadaw officers, deputy
ministers, heads of department and officials, members of the Union
Solidarity and Development Association, those of Red Cross and
Auxiliary Fire Brigades, those of religious associations and
Buddhist laity paid homage to the Tooth Relic at the Yangon
International Air-port.

     The ceremony to convey the Tooth Relic back to PRC began at
Gandakuti Taik of the Tooth Relic Pagoda (Yangon) at 12.45 pm.
Present on the occasion were Sayadaws led by Nayaka chok
Sayadaw of the State Pariyatti Sasana Tekkatho (Yangon) and
Sayadaws from PRC as well as Chairman of the Work Committee
for Conveying Buddha's Tooth Relic from PRC Minister for
Religious Affairs Lt-Gen Myo Nyunt, Secretary of the Work
Committee Deputy Minister U Aung Khin, officials, nuns, members
of the Wut Association of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and
those of the Wut Association of the Defence Services General
Hospital.
     ____________________________________

MIC CHAIRMAN RECEIVES CHAIRMAN OF HASEBE ASIAN SCHOLARSHIP  FOUNDATION

     YANGON, 5 March-Member of the State Law and Order Restoration Council
Deputy Prime Minister Chairman of Myanmar Investment Commission Vice-Admiral
Maung Maung Khin received Chairman of Hasebe Asian Scholarship Foundation
President of Hasebe Group and Highest Adviserof the Indochina Venture Forum
Mr Heikichi Hasebe at his office at 3.30 pm today. They discussed
construction works and investment
opportunities. Present also were Minister at the Deputy Prime Ministers'
Office and Secretary of Myanmar Investment Commission Brig-
Gen Maung Maung and officials concerned.
     _______________________________________

MINISTER FOR COOPERATIVES RECEIVES MD OF HISHAMUDDIN OON AND TANG CO, MALAYSIA

     YANGON, 5 March-Minister for Cooperatives U Than Aung received Managing
Director Mr Hishamuddin Koh of Hishamuddin Oon and Tang Co, Malaysia, at his
office at 7.45 am today.  They discussed prospects to cooperate in
cooperative sector of Myanmar.

MEMBERS OF DIPLOMATIC CORPS VIEW GEMS DISPLAYS

     YANGON, 5 March - Diplomats and officials of UN agencies reviewed the
34th Myanmar Gems Emporium at Myanmar Gems Emporium Hall from 9 am to noon
today.  It will be held under the aegis of Myanmar Gems Emporium Central
Committee.
     _______________________________________

MINISTER MEETS OFFICIALS OF SAHAVIRIYA STEEL

     YANGON, 5 March-Minister for Transport Lt-Gen Thein Win
received President Mr Adisak Lowjun and party of Sahaviriya Steel
Industries Public Co Ltd at his office at 8 am yesterday. They discussed
measures for constructing deep-water port of Bokpyin and cooperation in
transport sector.  Managing Director U Tin Oo of Myanmar Port Authority and
officials under the ministry were also present.
     _______________________________________

MINISTER RECEIVES AMBASSADOR OF PRC

     YANGON, 5 March-Minister for Sports Col Sein Win received
Ambassador of People's Republic of China Ms Chen Baoliu at his
office at 3 pm yesterday.  They discussed measures concerning bilateral
cooperation in sports sector.  Also present were Director-General Col Hla
Myint Kyaw of Sports and Physical Education Department, Deputy Director
General Lt-Col Thein Aung and officials of the Department and the embassy of
PRC.

**********************

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS BRIEFS (3.8.97)
March 8, 1997

SENIOR GENERAL THAN SHWE RECEIVES CHAIRMAN OF CHIEFS OF STAFF COMMITTEE OF
INDIA

     YANGON, 7 March-Chairman of the State Law and Order Restoration Council
Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Senior General Than Shwe received
Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee of India and Chief of Army Staff
General S Roychowdhury and party in the Credentials Hall of Pyithu Hluttaw
building at 3 pm today. Present together with Senior General Than Shwe were
Vice-Chairman of the State Law and Order Restoration Council Deputy
Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Commander-in-Chief (Army) General
Maung Aye, Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order Restoration Council Chief
of the Office of Strategic Studies
Director of Defence Services Intelligence Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,
Secretary-2 Chief of Bureau of Special Operations Chief of Staff (Army)
Lt-Gen Tin Oo, Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Vice-Admiral  Tin Aye,
Commander-in-Chief (Air) Lt-Gen Tin Ngwe and Minister Foreign Affairs U Ohn
Gyaw. General S Roychowdhury was accompanied by Charge
d'Affaires ai of Embassy of India Mr A K BhattacharJee Defence
Attache Col P C Bhardwaj.
     _______________________________________

DEPUTY C-IN-C OF DEFENCE SERVICES RECEIVES MILITARY ATTACHES OF CHINESE EMBASSY

     YANGON, 7 March-Vice-Chairman of the State Law and Order Restoration
Council Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence  Services General Maung Aye
received Military Attache of Chinese Embassy Senior Col Wu Huachang who is
leaving Myanmar at the conclusion of his tour of duty and his successor
Senior Col He Yaokui at Dagon Yeiktha of the Ministry of Defence at 9 am
today.  Present together with General Maung Aye were Secretary-1 of the
State Law and Order Restoration Council Chief of the Office of Strategic
Studies Director of Defence Services Intelligence Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt
Secretary-2 Chief of Bureau of Special Operations of Staff (Army) Lt-Gen Tin
Oo, Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Vice-Admiral Tin Aye, Commander-in-Chief(Air)
Lt-Gen Tin Ngwe
Deputy Chief of the Office of Strategic Studies Deputy Director of
Defence Services Intelligence Col Kyaw Win.

SECRETARY-L RECEIVES ASIA PACIFIC DIRECTOR OF UNHCR

     YANGON, 7 March - Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order Restoration
Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt received Asia Pacific
Director of UNHCR Office Mr Francois Fouinat at Dagon Yeiktha
of the Ministry of Defence at 5 pm today.
______________________________________

TASAKI SHINJU PRESIDENT CALLS ON MIC CHAIRMAN

     YANGON, 7 March-President Mr Shusaku Tasaki of Tasaki Shinju Co Ltd of
Japan and party called on Member of the State Law and Order Restoration
Council Chairman of Myanmar Investment Commission Deputy  Prime Minister
Vice-Admiral Maung Maung Khin at the latter's office this morning. They
discussed programmes for conducting pearl culture. Also present were
officials of the Myanmar Investment
Commission. Tasaki Shinju will establish Myanmar Tasaki Co Ltd under the
permission of MIC and will operate pearl culture.
     ______________________________________

PRESIDENT OF TERRACE GOLD NL (AUSTRALIA) CALLS ON MINISTER FOR MINES

     YANGON, 7 March - Minister for Mines Lt-Gen Kyaw Min
receives President of Terrace Gold NL (Australia) Mr Zlad Sas and
two members at the ministry this morning. They discussed exploration of gold
and conducting survey in Kalaw region and cooperation in mining sector.
Present were Deputy Ministers U Hlaing Win and U Myint
Thein and officials concerned.

MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT RECEIVES VICE-GOVERNOR OF YUNNAN PROVINCE

     YANGON, 7 March-Minister for Transport Lt-Gen Thein Win
received Vice-Govenor Mr Li Jia Ting and party of Yunnan Province, the
People's Republic of China, accompanied by Ambassador of the People's
Republic of China Ms Chen Baoliu, at his office on Merchant Street at 9 am
today. They discussed matters pertaining to aviation, water-ways,
ports, shipyards, friendly relationship and economic cooperation
between the two countries. It was attended by officials of the Ministry of
Transport.
     ____________________________________

MINISTER RECEIVES SAI MD

     YANGON, 7 March-Minister for Hotels and Tourism Lt-Gen
Kyaw Ba received Managing Director Mr Hideaki Nakajima of SAI
Travel at his office this afternoon. They discussed jointly performing of
Myanmar and Japanese cultural troupes here in November 1997 as a cultural
exchange programme and tourism promotion programmes for the cultural show.
Managing Director of Restaurant and Beverage Enterprise U Myo Min and
Managing Director of Myanma Hotels and Tourism
Services U Soe Thein were also present.
     ______________________________________

YUNNAN DELEGATION CALLS ON MINISTER FOR RAIL TRANSPORTATION

     YANGON, 7 March-A nine-member delegation led by Vice-
Governor Mr Li Jia Ting of Yunnan Province of the People's
Republic of China called  on Minister for Rail Transportation U
Win Sein at the latter's office yesterday. The delegation was accompanied by
Ambassador of the People's Republic of China Ms Chen Baoliu. They discussed
bilateral economic cooperation, especially promotion of economic cooperation
between the Ministry of Rail Transportation and Yunnan companies. The
vice-governor and delegation will attend a foundation laying ceremony of a
concrete sleeper factory to be established under BOT system of China
National Complete Plant Import & Export
(Group) Yunnan Corporation (Complant) and a contract-signing
ceremony on US $ 50 million interest-free loan for purchasing rail
tracks,  locomotives, coaches and others from Yunnan Machinery
and Equipment Import & Export Corporation (YMEC).
     ___________________________________

AUSTRALIAN COMPANY TO EXPLORE FOR GOLD IN KALAW AREA

     YANGON, 7 March -Department of Geological Survey and
Mineral Exploration and Terrace Gold NL Company of Australia
today signed a contract for mineral prospecting, exploration and
feasibility study for developing gold in Kalaw area, southern Shan
State. Director-General of DGSME U Soe Myint and Managing
Director of the company Mr Darry L Harris signed the contract.
_______________________________________

http://www.myanmar.com/nlm/

************************

SAMPLE LETTER TO US REPRESENTATIVES RE UNOCAL
March 5, 1997
Reaproy@xxxxxxx or steele@xxxxxxxx

Washington Burma Report, Vol. 1, Number 2 (excerpts)

US senators and representatives are being asked to write President Clinton,
urging him to implement economic sanctions on Burma.  (A sample letter is
below.)  Letters, either mailed or faxed, have much more impact
than phone calls, emails or postcards. Letters can be followed up by calling
the senator or representative's office and asking to speak to his/her
"foreign policy aide." Call toll-free using (800) 972-3524 or (800) 962-3524.

2. Sample Letter to Senator

U.S. Senator ____________
U.S. Senate
Washington, D.C.  20510

Dear Senator __________,

As your constituent from __________, I am writing to contact you about an
urgent foreign policy issue that I feel strongly about.   This issue is the
deteriorating human rights situation in Burma, where the Burmese democracy
movement led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi is under greater pressure
than ever before.  Amnesty International recently announced that 1996 was
the worst year in a decade for human rights in Burma, Suu Kyi remains under
de facto house arrest by the military junta, SLORC, and thousands of
political prisoners languish in the jails.

[Feel free to add a paragraph here describing yourself, your long history in
the local community and your interest in Burma.]

I believe that the conditions of the Cohen-Feinstein Amendment passed into
law last year, which would ban new investment in Burma by U.S. companies,
have been met.  Accordingly, I strongly urge you to support the immediate
implementation of this Amendment by President Clinton.   Aung San Suu Kyi
and the National League for Democracy Party (NLD) that she leads have
repeatedly and publicly called for such sanctions to be imposed by the U.S.
and the international community.  Unlike other countries in the region ruled
by dictatorial regimes, Burma held a free and fair election in 1990 in which
the NLD won 392 out of 485 Parliamentary seats and then were prevented by
the SLORC from taking power.   That electoral legitimacy makes the situation
in Burma unique and particularly compelling.   Since the NLD is composed of
the legitimate leaders of Burma, I believe that we should their call should
be heeded by America, the world's most influential democracy.

As you may know, the matter of implementing Cohen-Feinstein is under
consideration by top levels in the Administration.   Time is of the essence
to weigh in on this issue.  I strongly urge you to write to the President and
the Secretary of State to urge them to follow the letter of this US law, and
immediately implement the Cohen-Feinstein sanctions against Burma.   In the
past two weeks, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and the
Washington Post has all publicly called on the Clinton Administration to
implement Cohen- Feinstein.  Please support this call of the grass-roots,
and write to the President now!

As your constitutent, I look forward to hearing from you on this matter very
soon.

Sincerely yours,

http://www.clark.net/pub/burmaus/

*********************************

ANNOUNCEMENT: HOMEPAGE-MUSLIMS OF BURMA
March 5, 1997
aliburma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  I have a homepage I'm working on about the Muslims of Burma.
 http://www.nayzak.com/~aliburma/muslims.htm

It has general information about Muslims in Burma and also the oppression of
Burmese people.

http://FreeBurma.org is the Burma information starting point.
http://sunsite.unc.edu/freeburma/whatsnew.html  <--See what's new