Karen's problem is Burmese's proble

Subject: Karen's problem is Burmese's problem

Suu Kyi urges compassion, help for Karen refugees
    By Deborah Charles
    BANGKOK, March 10 (Reuter) - Burmese opposition leader Aung
San Suu Kyi on Monday urged compassion and help for ethnic Karen
refugees who have fled to Thailand in face of attacks by Burmese
troops.
    "The plight of our Karen refugees should appeal to the
compassion of all right-thinking people all over the world," Suu
Kyi said in a videotaped message smuggled out of Burma and
obtained by Reuters on Monday.
    Thousands of Karen refugees fled to Thailand last month
after Burmese troops destroyed bases of the Karen National Union
(KNU) guerrilla organisation. which is fighting for autonomy
from Rangoon.
    The United States and refugee organisations have accused the
Thais of forcing some Karen refugees back into Burma.
    Thai military officials have denied the charges. They said
they have disarmed fighters and asked them to return voluntarily
to Burma, but have allowed family members into Thailand and
ensured they were housed away from fighting at the border.
    Dressed in a traditional multi-coloured Karen outfit and
seated in front of a large Karen flag, Suu Kyi called on all
Burma's ethnic groups to work together to end divisiveness.
    "We would like to appeal to all the nations and all the
ethnic nationalities of Burma to join us in our endeavours to
bring an end to the hatred and animosity that is decimating our
nation."
    More than 70,000 Karen refugees have been living in camps
inside Thailand since the 1980s.
    "It is not simply that they have been forced to flee from
their homes to escape the ravages of armed conflict," Suu Kyi
said.
    "Many of our refugees will never be able to go back to their
homes... because these homes have been destroyed. We cannot tell
how long our Karen brothers and sisters will be forced to remain
in a state of uncertainty and impotence."
    The KNU, formed in 1948, has rejected several peace
overtures from Burma's military government. It is one of a
handful of guerrilla groups still fighting the Rangoon central
government.
    Suu Kyi has said she would join forces with ethnic groups to
bring democracy back to Burma, but she told reporters last week
she has not spoken with anyone from the KNU.
    "Their troubles will not come to an end until a political
solution has been found that will heal the deep wounds that are
lacerating Burma," she said.
    "The aim of all of us working for democracy and human rights
is to make Burma a safe and happy home for all the children of
its soil."
 REUTER