The Progressive Interview: Aung San

Subject: The Progressive Interview: Aung San Suu Kyi

Title "Aung San Suu Kyi"
Written by Leslie Kean and Dennis Bernstein

Head Line
=========

The Burmes Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi talked to us over a noisy
phone line from her Rangoon headquarters in mid-January. She informed us
that the repression against her had escalated to violent physical attacks.
Suu Kyi, who was under house arrest for six years until July 1995, was
tongue-and-cheek about the intrusive buzz on her telephone line. She said
the noisy line was due to the presence of military-intelligence tape
recorders, then laughed. "We couldn't survive without our sense of humor."
she explained.

Quote of the day!
================
"IN SOME WAYS, IT'S BETTER TO HAVE THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD
ON YOUR SIDE THAN THE GOVERNMENTS OF THE WORLD."
					[AUNG SAN SUU KYI]

Q:	:What do you tell people when they get discouraged?
ASSK:	:We are confident that our cause will prevail, because that is
what the great majority of the people in Burma want. We all want justice
and human rights. Since what we want will benefit all the people in Burma,
our cause is bound to win.

And for those who get discouraged, I would say they should search their
own hearts. I have a strong belief that those working for the truth will
never lose. We will be successful whether we have lost or won, since we
are working for the truth. Sacrificing for the truth means victory. The
National League for Democracy has promised the people that we will
continue working for their benefit, knowing that we will have to sacrific
and there will be many difficulties. Our promise to them will never be
broken. And we will not use any methods that require the people to take
risks. If there is something to sacrifice for, we will take the risks.
That is why our League has been formed. We will sacrifies ourselves at the
forefront, but we will also need the goodwill, trust, and strong
determination of the people.