The BurmaNet News, March 13, 1997

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: March 13, 1997
Issue #665

HEADLINES:
==========
SUU KYI INTERVIEW:DIALOGUE FIRST, IF NOT, SANCTIONS!
THE NATION: REFUGEES TO BE 'PUSHED BACK'
NCUB: PRESS RELEASE NO (16)
NCUB: PRESS RELEASE NO. [15]
NLD(LA) AND DPNS: JOINT STATEMENT
ABSDF: NEWS FROM INDO-BURMA BORDER
REUTER:BURMA SAYS KAREN REBEL WAR TO END SOON
FBC:US GOV'T IDENTIFIES TOP BURMESE HEROIN TRAFFICKER
AP: THAILAND'S CHIEF JUSTICE TO INVESTIGATE JUDGE
LETTERS:CONGRESSMEN CALL FOR SANCTIONS
FBC: LETTER TO MANDELA
PD BURMA:  MEDIA RELEASE

SUU KYI INTERVIEW:DIALOGUE FIRST, IF NOT, WE SUPPORT SANCTIONS!
March 12, 1997
by Leslie Kean and Dennis Bernstein

The Progressive Interview:  March 1997, Excerpt only.

Question:  :Does your support for sanctions impede your chances that
           the Slorc will enter into dialogue with the NLD?

DASSK:     :The government has hinted at this possibility. However, we
cannot accept this explanation for the lack of dialogue, because they did
not do anything toward entering into dialogue even in the days when we
were very careful not to call for sanctions. And we were very restrained
for a long time, because we wanted to keep the door open. So I think that
for the authorities to say now that calling for sanctions will prevent
dialogue is a ploy to stop us from supporting sanctions. It has to be the
other way around: DIALOGUE FIRST, then we stop our call for sanctions,
because sanctions make people understand that you cannot exercise
repression and at the same time expect international support.

	We have been making constant efforts, all the time, to start a
dialogue with the Slorc, but you know it takes two. We don't want a
MONOLOGUE. We would like a substantive political dialogue among the SLORC,
political leaders including myself, and leaders of ethnic groups_exactly as
stipulated in the UN General Assembly resolution on Burma.

QUESTION:  :How would sanctions impact the people of Burma?

DASSK:     :I can say with absolute confidence that the general public of
Burma would be very little affected, if at all, by sanctions. So far, the
kind of investments that have come in have benefited the public very
little indeed. If you have been in Burma long enough, you will be aware of
the fact that a small elite has developed that is extremely wealthy.
Perhaps they would be affected, but my concern is not with them but with
the general public. Because of rampant inflation, living standards have
been dropping for the great majority of the population. The people are
poorer because standards of health and education have fallen. And
conditions in the rural areas are worse off than they have ever been. So,
you cannot equate the so-called open-market economy adopted by the Slorc
with any real development that benefits people.

	Of course, there is a trickle-down effect but the trickle is a
very, very small trickle. And its dissipated very easily.

	It is essential to institute a legal framework that would ensure
justice and improve the quality of life in Burma immediately, because the
greatest suffering among the people at the moment is caused by lack of
justice and lack of rule of law.

*****************************

THE NATION: REFUGEES TO BE 'PUSHED BACK'
March 12, 1997

THAILAND will push back more than 100,000 ethnic minority refugees to Burma
as soon as fighting in the country subsides, according to a resolution made
yesterday at a National Security Council (NSC) meeting.
	The NSC meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and
attended by top government and military leaders including Supreme Commander
Gen Mongkol Amphornphisit, Army Chief Gen Chettha Thanajaro, Foreign
Minister Prachuab Chaiyasarn and Interior Minister Snoh Thienthong.
	Chettha and Snoh, whose ministry oversees refugee affairs, confirmed the
NSC's drastic decision to repatriate the refugees, mainly Karen and Karenni
groups.
	''The meeting reached a final decision that it is necessary to push all
these people [refugees] out", Snoh said.
	''But before the process of pushing them back, it is necessary to find them
a place to stay, for humanitarian reasons. However, establishing a new camp
about 10 kilometres deeper into Thailand is not possible because it would
create problems for Thai people," he added.
	Chettha said the repatriation is part of international law and all refugees
must return to Burma when the situation there is safe.
	''When the situation in Burma is peaceful and safe, [Thailand] then has to
send all the refugees back. This [repatriation] is an international law
which all parties concerned are well aware of. So nobody can accuse us of
lacking humanitarian principles," the Army chief said.
	Snoh said a proposal to consolidate three Karen camps in Umphang district
into one new camp would not be possible as the new shelter site would
encroach on a river and the process would violate the Natural Resources Act.
	He said the proposed location in Umphang is not appropriate to accommodate
the refugees, who have increased from about 5,500 to 17,500 during the major
offensive by the Burmese army against Karen rebels. The interior minister
will visit the area next week.
	The Thai decision surprisingly corresponded with the attempt by the UN High
Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to obtain the Burmese junta's permission
to expand its presence in Burma to cover the border with Thailand ''when
conditions are peaceful".
	The request was made during a meeting on March 7 in Rangoon between
Francois Fouinat, the UNHCR director for Asia and the Pacific, and Lt Gen
Khin Nyunt, who is first secretary of the ruling Burmese State Law and Order
Restoration Council (Slorc).
	Speaking after yesterday's meeting both Mongkol and Chettha said
participants had discussed the refugee problem and the large number of
illegal immigrants who are working in Thailand.
	Chettha said he has already resolved nearly all the problems that Thailand
shares with Burma, most probably referring to the resumption of construction
on the Thai-Burmese bridge across the Moei River. Slorc had put the project
on hold in mid-1995 after encroachment on the river from the Thai side.
 	He added that he and Slorc leaders Gen Maung Aye and Lt Gen Khin Nyunt
will visit the bridge today, which was about 90 per cent complete when work
was suspended. The Army chief said construction will be completed in about
three months.
	Chettha said he informed the meeting that if the relocation of Karen
refugees was not possible, they should be allowed to stay at their current
site and the Army would resolve any problems to the satisfaction of all
parties concerned.
	According to a press statement released yesterday, Fouinat told Khin Nyunt
of ''some advantages" for Burma if the UNHCR's request is met, including,
among others, ''the stabilising factor for an international presence and the
consolidation of the welfare of the people there". (TN)

NCUB: PRESS RELEASE NO (16)
March 12, 1997

National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB)

SLORC's Human Rights Violations In the Areas of Fighting

1. SLORC troops have destroyed mosques belonging to Muslims living in the
villages of Kyaik Don, Kyauk Phya, Pha Kalawni and Mae Kathihta. These
villages from the KNU 6th Brigade of Duplaya District fell to the SLORC
during the current offensive against the Karen.

2. On 3/3/97, SLORC troops forcibly took away corrugated iron roofings from
the mosque in Kyaik Don. Two soldiers fell off from the roof and sustained
injuries while taking them off. They had to be transported to the base in a
helicopter. At the same time, soldiers strew religious books on the ground,
ripping them to pieces and burning them.

The SLORC is threatening Muslims who are caught in the battle zones to
convert to Buddhism. They are also forcing them to move to Kyar Enn Seik Gyi
and Than Pura towns.

3. Two women aged between 28 and 38 from Phosimu village, who do
not want to be identified, were repeatedly raped by Burmese soldiers.
According to these women, they were forced to do various odd jobs for the
soldiers in the day time and had to sleep with at least five and sometimes
as many as 15 soldiers at night.

4. SLORC troops have been confiscating rice belonging to villagers in Azin
village area and selling it back at 1,000 Kyat per 100lb.

5. The NCUB Information Committee will continue to look into violations of
human rights by SLORC soldiers in villages within Duplaya District.

Information Committee
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB)

*****************************

NCUB: PRESS RELEASE NO. [15]
March 11, 1997

                       NCUB PRESS RELEASE NO [15]
                       ===========================

SITUATION OF THE REFUGEES WHO FLED FROM THE SLORC OFFENSIVE IN "KNLA BRIGADE
6 AREA"

No Pho refugee camp in Umpang District, Tak Province was officially
opened on March 7, 1997.  Thai officials from Tak District attended
the opening ceremony and have been monitoring the situation and
ensuring that the basic necessities of the refugees are being met.
The refugees have been fleeing from the SLORC's massive offensive
against the Karen National Union (KNU) in Karen National Liberation
Army (KNLA) Brigade 6 area.

New refugees are continuing to arrive at the camp every day.
There are already over 12,000 refugees in the camp including
refugees from other camps in Umpang District which were located
close to the border and in danger of attack.  The refugees from
other camps such as Lay Pho Hta, No Pa Law Wah, and No Pado have
been moved to No Pho during the past week.  Each family has been
allocated 25 feet x 30 feet lots for the construction of their
homes.

Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have been allowed access to
provide humanitarian assistance including basic foods and necessary
medicines. They have also supplied roofing materials and installed
water pipes and taps throughout the camp.  Thai officials have been
establishing security measures as it is expected that the DKBA may
attempt to attack this camp in the next few months.

"We believe that the refugees will enjoy internationally accepted
refugee rights under the care of the Royal Thai Government. Their
understanding and assistance at this difficult time is greatly
appreciated," said a spokesperson from the NCUB.

Many people are still hiding in the jungle on the Burma side of the
border and are expected to arrive in the next few weeks.  According
to recent arrivals in the camp, many other villagers in Karen State
are also planning to flee to the border, because the SLORC troops
who have arrived in their villages have taken their rice,
valuables, and livestock, and forced them to construct bunkers and
work as porters. There have also been reports of gang rapes,
disappearances, and killings committed by the SLORC.

Information Committee
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB)

***************************

NLD(LA) AND DPNS: JOINT STATEMENT
Date: March 11, 1997

Joint Statement of the NLD (L.A) and DPNS

1. Central Committee members from the National League for
Democracy (NLD) Liberated Area and the Democratic Party for New
Society (DPNS) held a meeting at a clandestine location on the Thai-Burma
border on March 10, 1997. The following was agreed upon:

2. Since the birth of both parties during the 1988 uprising we have been
close allies, working through difficulties and facing hardship together
throughout the political struggle in Burma and in the liberated area along
the border.

3. In analyzing the recent and current situation in the country, it has
become clear to us that the people of Burma are fed up with the political
stalemate and are in dire want of a change. At this time, we are also aware
of the desire of the people to return peace to the country through national
reconciliation.

4. We are however sad to conclude that the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC) has resorted to violence rather than
solving Burma's problems by peaceful means. Recent examples of this being
the violent crackdown on the student demonstrations in December and the
brutal offensive against the Karen. The fact that the influx of Karen
refugees into Thailand has reached an all time high clearly shows that the
SLORC's claim of working towards 'national unity' has no substance.

5. We would like to reaffirm the facts that we were, and have been in
support of resolutions taken during the Mae Thayaw Hta meeting (ethnic
nationalities seminar) held during December and January and that we stand
with policies made by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in her Union Day speech.

We realize that these are in line with the policies of ethnic nationalities,
of various political parties and organizations and the desire of the people.
We are adopting these as the working directives for organizations both
aboveground and underground.

6. We hereby reaffirm our unwavering support for the Karen National Union
(KNU). We also agreed to work closely between our parties, working out in
more detail what we hope to accomplish in the future.

In closing, we remain committed to the work of the alliance with various
ethnic and pro-democracy groups through unity, and to work for better
cooperation among the members of the alliance organization.

National League for Democracy
(Liberated Area)

Democratic Party for a New Society (DPNS)

*****************************

ABSDF: NEWS FROM INDO-BURMA BORDER

TO: BBC, DVB

         SLORCs border development has reached the Chin State. There are
eight townships in Chin State. They are Tunzam, Teddim, Falam, Hakha,
Thangtlang, Matupi, Mindat and Palatwa. SLORC will construct  roads in Chin
State.
There are
1. Hakha to Gangaw road 70 miles
2. Hakha to Kalaymyo via Falam road 115 miles
3. Hakha to Matupi road 173 miles and
4. Matupi to Palatwa via Mindat road 137 miles.

        And then in December 1997, SLORC will hold the students sport
festival in Hakha, the capital of Chin State. Therefore the authorities of
Chin State Law and Order Restoration Council has been collecting funds from
the students by force for the sport festival Kyats 20 per month each since
1996 January. Then TLORC ordered each villager forcibly to come to Hakha and
to clean the bushes and level the ground for the road construction. But some
villagers cannot go to do the work because their villages are very far away
from Hakha. Those villages are situated near the Indo-Burma border.

We heard that the chairmen of Teddim and Tunzan township ordered the
villagers who cannot come to contribute work to pay 1200 Kyats each to TLORC
through the Village LORC. This season is time to prepare for the hill-side
cultivation. If the villager cannot  do the hill-side cultivation, they will
lose their work for the whole year. The villagers do not want to go, they
have to pay the taxes to TLORC. Therefore some villagers had to sell their
paddies and their belongings to pay the taxes to TLORC.

* TLORC= Township Law and Order Restoration Council

News And Information Unit
ABSDF (WB)
Date 12.3.1997

***********************************

REUTER:BURMA SAYS KAREN REBEL WAR TO END SOON
March 12, 1997
By Sutin Wannabovorn

    MYAWADI, Burma, March 12 (Reuter) - Senior Burmese military
officials said on Wednesday the Karen rebel insurgency along the border with
Thailand was drawing to a close, but a rebel spokesman said they would fight on.
    "There is no problem at all. The border problem is over, it is
finished," said Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt, the powerful Secretary One of
Burma's ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC).
    Khin Nyunt spoke to Reuters while acompanying SLORC vice-chairman
General Maung Aye on an inspection of the Thai-Burma bridge being built
across the Moei River, which forms the border between the two countries in
that area.
    The Burmese regional commander who accompanied the generals
predicted the Karen insurgency would end soon. "The situation on the border
is quiet and we are set to sweep the KNU rebels sooner or later," said
Major-General Khet Sein.
    But a Karen National Union (KNU) spokesman said the rebels
would continue fighting the SLORC despite recent setbacks,
although it would be hard for them to regain their former strength.
    "We are facing pressure from both sides, but I am still confident that
we will survive and overcome them," Ner Dah, son of KNU hardline leader
General Bo Mya, said by telephone.
    He said the KNU have a strong ally in Burmese opposition leader Aung San
Suu Kyi, who this week appealed to the world to sympathise with the plight
of the Karen refugees.
    "When we first started our revolution, we had so many problems and we
have come through it one after another. We don't think this problem cannot
be solved. So no problem, we will continue fighting." Ner Dah added.
    Ethnic KNU rebels have been fighting Rangoon since Burma gained
independence in 1948 for greater autonomy for eastern Karen state. They
suffered setbacks recently when thousands of soldiers overran their mobile
camps inside Burma.
    The offensive, launched after the KNU rejected several peace offers from
Rangoon, sparked an exodus of Karen civilians into Thailand.
    Thailand allowed fleeing Karen women, children and unarmed men to seek
refuge but turned away suspected KNU guerrillas, drawing sharp protests from
the United States and various rights groups and refugee organisations.
    Meanwhile, a senior Thai official who met the Burmese generals at the
border said the SLORC was determined to end the insurgency before Burma
joins ASEAN, possibly later this year, and that Thailand would cooperate in
this effort.
    The seven-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations has said Burma
will be allowed to join the regional grouping, but has set no date for its
admission.
    "They really need to clear up the border problem before joining ASEAN
and we (the Thai army) have agreed to co-operate with them in exchange for
the opening of the bridge," the Thai official told Reuters.
    Thailand for years turned a blind eye to KNU movements along its western
border but recently has applied strict measures against the rebels.
    More than 70,000 Karen live in sprawling camps in Thailand near the
border, and the Thai army has tried to separate KNU guerrillas from the
genuine refugees.

******************************

FBC PRESS RELEASE:US GOVERNMENT IDENTIFIES TOP BURMESE HEROIN TRAFFICKER
March 11, 1997

Seattle Campaign for a Free Burma
2319 N. 45th St., Suite 115  Seattle, WA 98103
Ph: (206) 784-5742  Fax:(206) 784-8150
P a r t   o f   t h e   F r e e   B u r m a   C o a l i t i o n

NORTHWEST AIRLINES CONTINUES TO PROMOTE HIS HOTEL

MINNEAPOLIS--MARCH 11, 1997--Three months after being notified of the heroin
connection, Northwest Airlines continues to offer its frequent
fliers bonus miles for staying at the Traders Hotel of Rangoon,Burma. The
Traders Hotel is co-owned by narco-traffickers Steven Law and his father Lo
Hsing Han, according to the August 15, 1996 Far Eastern Economic Review.
Steven Law is prohibited from traveling to the US by the
State Department due to his involvement in the narcotics trade.
 	Robert Gelbard, US Assistant Secretary of State for International
Narcotics Affairs said on February 28, 1997 that, "Drug money is so
pervasive in the Burmese economy that it taints legitimate investment.
Some 15 percent of foreign investment in Burma has been tied to the family
of narco-trafficker Lo Hsing Han." That day, Burma was denied US drug
certification for the ninth year in a row.
	Burma produces more opium and heroin than the rest of the world combined,
and State Dept. sources say at least 60% of the heroin on US streets comes
from Burma.
	"It's simple.  US companies shouldn't be promoting a hotel owned by drug
lords who ship heroin to the US." says Jane Jerome of the US-based Free
Burma Coalition.
	Northwest doesn't deny that Law and Lo are co-owners of Traders Hotel
Rangoon.  It acknowledges US government narco-trafficking accusations
against Lo and family, but it has not ended the promotion, according to a
company spokesman.
	Alfred Checchi owns about 20% of Northwest's shares.  Checchi has been
mentioned as a candidate for governor of California.  Another influential
shareholder is millionaire Richard Blum, who owns about 5% of Northwest.
Blum is the husband of anti-drug crusader Senator Diane Feinstein of California.
	"That the Burmese economy is based on narco-dollars is quite obvious" says
Dr. Sein Win, head of the NCGUB, Burma's democratic government in exile. "It
is incredible that a US company would promote a business owned by known drug
dealers."
	One US company with connections to Steven Law, Wente Vineyards of
California, was successfully targeted by boycotters.  Numerous
othercompanies, including PepsiCo, Motorola, Amoco, Hewlett-Packard, Apple,
Eddie Bauer, Heineken and Carlsberg have withdrawn from Burma under consumer
pressure, citing corruption, human rights concerns and "business reasons,"
such as the selective purchasing laws passed in the State of Massachusetts
and twelve cities across the US.
	"US interests are clear" says Jerome.  "How can Northwest, Checchi and Blum
justify this?  When the US spends billions to fight drugs, when heroin use
is on the rise, when our communities are affected, Northwest should not
promote the 'Heroin Hotel.'"

Contact:  Jane Jerome, Free Burma Coalition, 408-467-2721
Rick Dow, Northwest Airlines, 612-727-6465
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma  202-393-7342
Larry Dohrs, Free Burma Coalition, 206-784-5742         END

*************

 AP: THAILAND'S CHIEF JUSTICE TO INVESTIGATE JUDGE WHO FREED DRUG SMUGGLER
March 12, 1997
Robert Horn

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ The chief justice of Thailand's criminal court
pledged Wednesday to investigate and transfer his deputy for granting bail
to an accused major heroin trafficker wanted by the United States and who
has since disappeared.
   ``I won't hush this up. I am investigating this and will continue to do
so,'' said Chief Justice Pradit Ekmanee, adding the deputy would be transferred.
   Deputy Chief Justice Somchai Udomwong sparked an international
incident by releasing suspected heroin trafficker Li Yun-chung on 5
million baht (dlrs 200,000) bail on Feb. 7 for a period of 30 days.
   Li was facing extradition to the U.S. for suspected involvement in
smuggling the largest amount of heroin ever seized by American drug officials.
   Now, he's nowhere to be found.
   Li, who also goes by the Thai name Phongsak Rojjanasakul, has been
indicted by a Federal court in New York for allegedly masterminding a
shipment of 486 kilos of heroin to the United States in May 1991.
   The heroin was uncovered by customs officials in Hayward, California, but
law enforcement agents said its ultimate destination was New York.
   Li is also suspected of trafficking 72 kilograms of heroin to
Singapore in 1996, that nation's largest drug bust.
   Local police, court officials and the U.S. Embassy only became aware of
Somchai's action when Li did not show up for a court appearance on March 7.
   The U.S. government has urged Thai police to again apprehend Li
as soon as possible. But Thai police and other narcotics officials said they
had information that Li had already fled to Burma.
   ``He's in Rangoon now with his friends Khun Sa and Lo Hsing-han,'' said
Gen. Viraj Jutimitta, referring to two other heroin traffickers living in
Rangoon under the protection of Burma's military government.
   Khun Sa has also been indicted in a New York court on drug
trafficking charges, but Burma refuses to extradite him.
   Nearly 60 percent of the heroin sold on the streets of America
originates in Burma.
   Pradit said the court's policy is not to grant bail to drug
smugglers, and his deputy was aware of that.
   He said that Somchai's reasons for releasing Li were that he was a Thai
citizen, whether Thai citizens can be extradited to the U.S. is still in
dispute, and that the prosecutor did not include the amount of heroin seized
in the complaint.
   Pradit said that while the prosecutor failed to state the amount of
heroin, he did not agree with Somchai's decision as it violated court policy.
   Thailand has extradited drug smugglers to the United States in
the past, including one member of Parliament.
   Police also doubt Li is a Thai citizen, although he carries a Thai
identification card. They believe he is a Sino-Burmese of the Kokang ethnic
group, which is heavily involved in heroin trafficking.
   Although little heroin is produced in Thailand, the country is one of the
main smuggling routes for the drug. Thai police have been criticized for
frequently catching low-level traffickers, while the kingpins, who
international law enforcement officials say are among the upper echelons of
Thai society, remain free.
   Li, however, was considered a high-level trafficker.
   ``Damn right he was,'' said Gen. Viraj. ``If he wasn't, they wouldn't
have let him go.''
   Pradit refused to comment on whether he suspected corruption or bribery
was involved in Li's release, or what penalties Somchai might face.

**************************

LETTERS:CONGRESSMEN CALL FOR SANCTIONS
March 12, 1997 (rec'd)

1) Sen. Mitch McConnell's letter to Secretary of State Albright

United States Senate
Committe on Appropriations
Washington, DC 20510-6025

March 7, 1997

The Honorable Madeleine Albright
Secretary
Department of State
Washington, D.C.

Dear Secretary Albright:

I had planned to attend the Commerce, State, Justice Subcommittee hearing
last Thursday but was unavoidably detained in a Rules Committee mark-up.  I
had hoped to use the occassion to discuss the current crisis on the Thai
border and inside Burma, and American efforts to assist both refugees and
democratic activists.  Instead, I am hopeful that you will have time to
respond quickly to this letter, given the urgency of the situation.

A number of times, you and I had discussed Burma.  You have been the only
senior Adminstration official to condemn SLORC's barbaric record and to
publicly express support for the National League for Democracy (NLD), led by
Aung San Suu Kyi.  I have agreed with your judgments, but now want to
determine where you and the Administration stand, particularly in light of
the horror stories whihave come out of Karen camps this past week.

Last year the foreign operations bill included language I drafted imposing
immediate sanctions on Burma.  That language was modified giving the
President the discretion to ban investment if SLORC "physically harmed,
rearrested for political acts or exiled Aung San Suu Kyi or has committed
large scale repression or violence against the democratic opposition."  The
Administration publicly endorsed this language, and it was included in the
Omnibus Appropriations into law.

Let's review the record since then.  A recent Amnesty International report
on Burma called "1996 the worst year for human rights in this decade."  They
documented their views by pointing to more than 2,000 arrests of democratic
activists, the severe restrictions imposed on Suu Kyi's freedom of movement
and speech, and the fact that members of theNLD were attacked by organized
mobs encouraged by the government.

In fact, Suu Kyi has been unable to deliver any public speeches to her
supporters since October; she is, in effect, under undeclared house arrest.
As you know, in November, when she attempted to leave her compound to meet
with NLD members, her car was stoned and smashed with sticks by government
supported demonstrators.  Senior SLORC officials have also publicly called
for her assassination.

Two weeks ago, SLORC began a major military operation against karen camps on
the Thai border.  Thousands of women and children fled into Thailand.
Unfortunately, at least nine hundred innocent civilians were pushed back
into Burma by the Thai military.  Last weekend, the press carried gruesome
stories of SLORC troops raping Karen women while children were tied to
nearby trees.

Sadly, I think the Thai military may have collaborated with SLORC, as
evidenced by the Army Commander in Chief meeting with senior SLORC officers
on the border the day before the offensive was launched.  I understand U.S.
concerns have been raised at senior levels in Bangkok, an effort I strongly
support and hope to continues until the forced repatriations and abuse of
the Karen people cease.

As you know, the Karen National Union is a part of the National Council of
the Union of Burma, an organization which has united Burma's ethnic groups
in support of the restoration of democracy and Aung San Suu Kyi to
office.Nonethless, when asked whether the past week's events contributed to
meeting the bill's standard of "wide scale repression", State Department
lawyers said that the Karen do not qualify as democratic opposition to SLORC
and support for democracy and freedom.

The Department's lawyers seem intent on splitting legal hairs, while
thousands of Burmese suffer and die hoping we will support their effort.
Again just last week Aung San Suu Kyi called upon the international
community to impose sanctions because SLORC was intensifying its campaign to
eliminate her supporters.  Apparently, her call was driven by the attack on
the Karen and by  the recent kidnapping of twelve NLD officials, one of whom
turned up dead by a road-side.

I now understand there there three camps of opinion within the
Administration--those who do not think sanctions should be imposed under any
circumstances, those who support immediate sanctions, and those who suggest
we announce sanctsions will be imposed in 60 days if specific steps are not
taken.  Frankly, as you know well, this last option is the worst.  On four
occasions, including your own visit, tough American ultimatums were issued
only to be tested by SLORC.  Our ultimatums were immediately followed by
arrests, torture and deaths of democracy supporters.  I do not want to risk
more lives with empty threats.

Had I been at the Subcommittee hearing, I would have asked one, simple
question: after 2,000 arrests, this vicious attack on ethnic civilian
communities, Aung San Suu Kyi's virtual house arrest, threats against her
life, the torture and murder of her supporters, what precisely is the
threshold for the conditions of the bill being met and the President
imposing sanctions?

I recognize your personal interest in this urgent matter and look forward
to your earliest reply.

Sincerely,

signed

Mitch McConnell
Chairman
Subcommittee on Foreign Operations

2) Pro-sanctions Letter from Senators (to Bill Clinton):

Daniel P. Moynihan
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510-3201

The President
The White House

Dear Mr. President:

	We are increasingly concerned about the worsening situation in Burma.  As
the Burma section of the State Department's recently released "Country
Reports on Human Rights" indicates, the State Law and Order Restoration
Council's (SLORC's) "severe repression of human rights (in Burma) increased
during 1996."

	On September 30, 1996 when the omnibus appropriations bill was signed into
law, a clear line was drawn defining a new course in United States policy
toward Burma.  It requires that sanctions be invoked if conditions in Burma
deteriorate and SLORC has "physically harmed, rearrested for political acts,
or exiled Daw Aung San Suu Kyi or has committed large scale repression of or
violence against the democratic opposition."

	Since the bill was signed into the situation has gone from bad to worse.
Aung San Suu Kyi has not been allowed to made her weekly public address to
supporters outside her home.  On November 9, 1996 she was attacked on the
streets of Rangoon by members of a government-sponsored union.  Aung San Suu
Kyi has gone through periods of undeclared house arrest, while hundreds of
National League for Democracy (NLD) party members, including several of its
leaders, have been arrested without cause.

	As the State Department report indicates:

(I)n December, in the wake of student demonstrations, the SLORC detained
more than 200 (NLD) activists, supporters, and others, in addition to at
least 263 students whom they had detained and released, and whom they
accused of aiding and abetting the student protests.

Authorities confined Aung San Suu Kyi to her compound from December 6 to
December 29.  Since mid-December, she had been severely restricted in her
ability to receive visitors.

The number of NLD members and activists arrested since May 19, and still in
detention at the end of the year totaled at least 147, including at least 17
M.P.'s elect.  None of those arrested can reasonably be considered to have
engaged in activities violently threatening to the State.

	We understand that the White House Counsel is currently conducting a review
to establish whether the conditions of the legislation have been met.
Allowing these abuses to continue without imposing the required investment
sanctions will only embolden SLORC.  Aung San Suu Kyi has repeatedly called
for sanctions and recently expressed her opinion that SLORC's actions amount
to "large scale repression."  We would appreciate the Administration's
prompt assessment of the law and plans to implements sanctions.

Sincerely,

signed

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Mitch McConnell
Patrick J. Leahy
Jesse Helms
Edward M. Kennedy
Alfonse M. D'Amato
Carol Moseley-Braun

FBC: LETTER TO MANDELA
March 11, 1997
Email:  kiru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FBC (South Africa) has started a campaign to send President Mandela a
barrage of letters protesting his position on Burma.  A number of letters
have in addition been sent to the editors of a variety of South African
newspapers.  Letters from fraternal organisations and individuals around the
globe will emphasize how appalled we are at his stance.

Kiru Naidoo
Free Burma Campaign (South Africa)
P.O. Box 138
Pavilion
3611  South Africa
Tel: 27 82 4166585 / 27 31 8202124
Fax: 27 31 8202340
Email:  kiru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

President Nelson R. Mandela
Office of the State President
Cape Town
South Africa
Email:  president@xxxxxxxxxx

Sir

We note with great concern your comments on the human rights situation in
Burma.  The Free Burma Campaign has consistently drawn your office's
attention to the deplorable record of the military authorities in
Rangoon.  These have included long term imprisonment of political
opponents, widespread torture, arbitrary detention, murder, forced
labour, rape, forced removals and forced exile.  In recent weeks the
camps of the Karen Nation Union on the Thai-Burma border have been
attacked and razed to the ground by the State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC) leaving thousands, mainly women and children homeless and
vulnerable to murder, rape and forced prostitution among other indignities.
This deplorable situation is a stark reminder of our own tortured
history, the full extent of which is being revealed to Archbishop Desmond
Tutu's Truth and Reconciliation Commission.  Every day, our nation ,
receives with renewed shock news of atrocities committed by apartheid era
generals.  If for no other reason, then our own history , must dictate
that we dare not let the generals in Rangoon get away with denying the
people of Burma basic human rights.
You are quoted by Reuters and Associated Press as saying that Burma's
internal policies should not be a factor in its imminent admission to
ASEAN.  ASEAN countries adopt a 'constructive engagement' policy towards
SLORC.  Is this not an echo of the Reagan-Thatcher alliance's position on
the apartheid regime when we and our allies in the international community
were campaigning for the isolation of the apartheid regime and  the release
from prison of our leadership.
The international reaction to your comments have been scathing
and unless your office is able to offer a clear position on human rights
violations in Burma, the international condemnation will mount and bring
shame to our nation.  This is perhaps the defining moment in our
post-liberation foreign policy which holds human rights as one of its key
pillars.  It is incumbent on us to grasp the cause against injustice for
it might be one of the few ways in which we can show our gratitude for
the solidarity that the international community unselfishly offered us in
the dark days of our struggle against apartheid. We urge you offer the
nation's solidarity with the pro-democracy forces led by your fellow
Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi at time time when they are facing a
renewed onslaught by SLORC.

Sincerely yours

Kiru Naidoo
Convenor:  Free Burma Campaign

*******************************

PD BURMA:  MEDIA RELEASE
March 12, 1997

The International Network of Political Leaders Promoting Democracy in
Burma (PD Burma) was launched in Geneva in April 1996 and has held its
inaugural annual meeting in Tokyo 10-11th March 1997.
	Bringing together the most distinguished and active political leaders in
the world, PD Burma has held two days of talks for the purpose of
implementing a strategy which will encourage the military of Burma,
State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) to engage in meaningful
political dialogue with the National League for Democracy, led by Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi and leaders of the non-Burman ethnic nationalities.  A policy
document has been approved by consensus.
	Members of PD Burma have unanimously agreed to encourage the ASEAN to
impose some pre-conditions before admitting Burma as a member.  PD Burma
believes that if certain pre-conditions are met by the SLORC before they
become a member of the ASEAN this would add further to ASEAN's good efforts
to increase the political stability and the economic development of the region.
	PD Burma calls on the Secretary General of the United Nations to take all
possible steps to implement the terms of successive UNGA resolutions and
embark on a massive international awareness campaign intended to encourage
more grass roots concern for the people of Burma.
	PD Burma has also called on the EU and the US to implement legislation
which would restrict investment in Burma.
	Members of PD Burma are grateful to its Japanese members for hosting the
meeting in Tokyo.  PD Burma expresses appreciation for the important work
being undertaken by the parliamentary group in the Diet to promote the
democratization process in Burma.  We believe Japan has a special
opportunity and responsibility to influence the SLORC to move forward in the
democratization process.

Contact  Thomas Olsen 32621151 (RM529)
E-mail:  PDBURMA@xxxxxxxxxxx