BBC Burmese advert for producers

PRODUCERS , BBC WORLD SERVICE (BASED IN LONDON, UK)

The BBC Burmese Service broadcasts in Burmese to Burma twice a day, seven
days a week. More than half of our output is made up of news and
current-affairs, but we also cover the arts, culture, business,
environment, sports, and science. We  broadcast educational programmes -
focusing on topics such as family health, drugs awareness and forest
conservation - and English-language teaching programmes. Our  two daily
shows (morning and evening in Burma) total over ten hours of output every
week. The BBC is widely respected in Burma, and has a large audience:
last year alone, the Burmese Service received over one hundred thousand
letters from listeners. But we do not  stand still: we're changing to
meet a more competitive international broadcasting environment in Burma.

We are looking for two people to join the service as Producers (Broadcast
Journalists). Initially, we offer one- or two-year contracts. The salary
is c. 23,000 pound sterling per annum, inclusive of allowances.

Working at the World ServiceUs headquarters in Bush House, in the heart
of London, you will be part of a busy team reporting, and preparing and
presenting at the microphone the full range of programmes. As we
broadcast seven days a week, and because of the time difference between
London and Burma, there will be some night-shift and week-end work.

Essential:

 . complete fluency in written and spoken Burmese as first and best
language, and good English;

 . ability to translate fast and accurately from English into Burmese, in
both its              literary and colloquial styles;

 . keen interest in journalism, and in international current-affairs;

>. up-to-date knowledge of political, economic, social and cultural
conditions and developments in Burma;

 . good general knowledge;

 . suitable microphone voice;

 . an enthusiasm for radio, and the ability to generate innovative and
creative ideas for making lively programmes;

 . technical and computer skills or the ability to develop them;

 . education   to degree-level or equivalent;

 . interest in contributing to the  independent and objective news
coverage that we  broadcast to Burma.

Please send a  CV to BBC World Service  Recruitment by 14th April 1997,
quoting reference 97641.( E-mail address: wsrecruit@xxxxxxxxx) It should
include a covering letter explaining your interest in the post and the
skills and experience you feel you may bring to it.

Short-listed candidates will be invited to sit a  test covering
translation, journalistic aptitude and general knowledge. We intend to
interview candidates who pass the test in June. WeUre hoping that
successful candidates will be available to move to London and take up
their position in July or August.

For further details, please contact
Daw Kyi Kyi May (kyikyi.may@xxxxxxxxx)
or Marcia Poole (marcia.poole@xxxxxxxxx)
telephone + 44 171 257 2545		fax + 44 171 836 9466