mandalay: Muslim-Buddhist Riots

With the recent events in Mandalay, I find myself in an awkward position
against both the Buddhist Monks, and the Muslims leaders.  What exactly are
the leaders of these communities doing?

If the allegations are true that a few Muslims raped a buddhist girl, then
the Muslim leaders should be condoning these rapists and their horrific
act.  Rape is punishible by death in strict Islamic Law, and likewise, any
reason to justify those rapists' actions would be pathetic.  The Muslim
communities, lead by their leaders, should have been quick at finding these
rapists and condoning them.

However, I also find it sad that the Buddhist Monks have, in retaliation,
lead protests that have resulted in the vandalizing of two mosques.  It
would only seem proper that if they are angry about the rape, that they
protest demanding the capture of these rapists, but to vandalize two
religious sanctuaries to Muslims only makes matters worse.  I don't think
it was really correct to label the rape as an attack on Buddhism just
becuase the rapists were Muslim.  Likewise, if the rapists had been
Buddhists and the victim a Muslim girl, vandalizing a Buddhist monastery
would be ubsurd.

Religious wars are easy to get caught up into, especially with the history
Burma has had with its religous minorities.  Sadly enough, it seems our
religious leaders from all ends of each religion are not making matters
better.  Perhaps our monks, imams, ministers, and priests should redirect
their hostile battles to the government and not on silly religious battles.