US conservatives for Free Burma???

Anyone out there want to follow these names up for their position on
Burma, drugs, Clinton's appeasement constructive engagement policy,
threat of sanctions with no muscle to back it up. It may be the extreme
right fringe, but if its hellfire, use it to burn slorc, and get Clinton
off the fence. Anyway, with Jesse Helms on the side of Free Burma, how
more conservative can  you get? Conservatives tend have a lot more money
than liberals too, so you may wish to ask for free burma contributions.
after all, we are not fighting the right wing here, we are fighting
slorc its backers against the nld and suu kyi and the democratic
opposition.

dawn star
paris

U.S. conservatives launch campaign to deny China MFN (Reuter)
WASHINGTON, March 18, 1997 (Reuter) - Amid a growing controversy over
alleged attempts by China to funnel money into U.S. election campaigns,
coalition of American conservatives launched an effort Tuesday to deny
Beijing normal trading privileges.

"This Republican Congress should not extend Most Favord Nation (MFN)
status
to China for yet another year," Terence Jeffrey, editor of the
conservative
national weekly Human Events, said at a news conference.

"Instead, it should focus on the unavoidable business of investigating
whether President Clinton kowtowed for cash before Chinese Communists
and
compromised the security of our country," he said.

Allegations of possible Chinese efforts to funnel money illegally into
1996
congressional election campaigns has focused national attention on the
financing scandal dogging the White House and provided fuel for groups
opposed to normal U.S. trade relations with China.

"Clearly the persecution of Christians and abuse of pregnant women and
Tibetans have given us the high moral ground, and what the campaign
finance
scandals have given us is the high political ground," said conservative
columnist Pat Buchanan, who is helping to lead the charge against
China's
MFN status.

Clinton must decide by early June whether to renew the coveted MFN trade
status, which allows goods to enter the country with low tariffs, for
China
for another year. Congress then has to decide whether to accept or
reject
that decision.

During last year's debate, a group of lawmakers expressed concern about
the
effect the annual ritual was having on U.S. business relations with
China
and began a move to make Beijing's MFN status permanent.

But a number of lawmakers are concerned by Beijing's human rights
record,
nuclear technology and missile sales and the $40 billion U.S. trade
deficit
with China, as well as the campaign finance scandal. Buchanan said he
believes anti-MFN forces are building momentum to convince the
Republican-controlled Congress to revoke China's MFN.

"I didn't have that feeling last year," he said. "I get a real sense of
passion and fire."

Joining Buchanan and Jeffrey to launch the anti-MFN effort were Gary
Bauer,
president of the Family Research Council, a conservative religious
group;
Fred Barnes, a columnist with the conservative Weekly Standard magazine
and
Rep. Jerry Solomon, a New York Republican who heads the House Rules
Committee.
end WTN 97/03/19 20:00 GMT