Democracy's Front Line Looks Thinne

Subject: Democracy's Front Line Looks Thinner in Burma

                         The Christian Science Publishing Society
                         The Christian Science Monitor

                           April  16, 1997, Wednesday

HEADLINE: Democracy's Front Line Looks Thinner in  Burma

BYLINE: Yvan Cohen, Special to The Christian Science Monitor

DATELINE: MEA KLONG MAI, THAILAND

Wearing an olive-green combat jacket, with the letters ABSDF marked in black
capitals on his shoulder, Moe Thee Zun, vice chairman of the All  Burma
Students Democratic Front, looks worried.

"We're trying to eavesdrop on enemy communications," explains the student leader
as he listens to a radio scanner. In the half light of the operations room,
Mr. Moe's tousled mop of black hair and his dark moustache conjure up echoes of
a Burmese-style Che Guevara.

A few miles from here, on the other side of the Thai border, thousands of
Burmese troops are massed against ethnic Karen rebels and their Burmese student
allies - the ABSDF. "We're still fighting and have had to take up defensive
positions. But it's not over yet," explains the guerrilla commander.

For Moe, and some 2,000 or so members of the ABSDF, it has been a long and
bitter war. For almost a decade, the guerrilla army has pitted itself against
the Goliath of  Burma's  war machine, comprising an estimated force of up to
300,000 men. The roots of the conflict go back to 1988, when frustration at
decades of political repression and economic hardship in  Burma  spilled over in
the form of pro-democracy protests against military rule.

At the time the trouble started, Moe was a physics student at Rangoon
University. A prominent activist campaigning alongside  Burma's  most famous
dissident, Aung San Suu Kyi, he witnessed the slaughter of unarmed protesters
gunned down in the street by government troops.

Less than a year later, he joined a growing number of rebel students in the
jungles along the Thai-Burmese border. A young urban intellectual, he was

unprepared for the rigors of life in the forest and unversed in the techniques
of war. "When we arrived, we faced a lot of personal difficulties," he
remembers. "But we did feel that we were free.

"We felt we had a future. In Rangoon there was no hope. Here, there is hope," he
adds.

Over time, however, the ABSDF has slid from the public eye. "In 1990-1992 we had
all we needed. Now food is not so good. We've been isolated for a long time,"
explains Win Htein, a former student who gleans news from a shortwave radio.

Despite international condemnation of  Burma's  junta, the ABSDF has been
virtually abandoned. The students and their families survive on two meals a day.
There is no electricity or running water, and essentials, like mosquito nets,
are scarce.

For many, the hardship and isolation of life in the jungle proved too much. Of
the 10,000 or so students who originally fled to the border, around 8,000 have
since traveled overseas to become refugees in the West.

"Most of the students overseas are supporting us in some way," says Myo Min, a
bespectacled ASBDF official, who returned to the jungle after completing a

master's degree in human rights at New York's Columbia University. Even so, the
loss of many members has weakened the ABSDF, which has seen new arrivals from
inside  Burma  slow to a trickle.

Early on, the movement was wracked by internal tensions. After one witch hunt
for informers and spies, about 50 people were executed, recounts a human rights
observer with in-depth knowledge of the ABSDF. "It's certainly a lot more mature
as a movement," adds a Western aid worker. "In the early 1990s they were
hopeless as soldiers. But now they can hold their own alongside the Karen
fighters. In the beginning, they couldn't even cook their own food. They were
just middle-class kids."

For all its bravado and courage, the ABSDF is up against desperate odds. Last
February, some 5,000 Burmese troops swept down along the Thai border, destroying
student and Karen camps in their wake.

Unable to match the government's firepower, the ABSDF is using a new, and
perhaps more powerful weapon: ideology. Political defiance is the new watchword
of these plucky rebels. The junta's "greatest weakness is its politics,"
explains Moe, who advocates combining guerrilla warfare with
political-information campaigns.
As the battlefield shifts from the jungle trails to the hearts and minds of
ordinary Burmese, men like Yeni, a writer and singer, will likely constitute the
ABSDF's front-line fighters. Each month, Yeni produces tape-recorded
pro-democracy "radio shows" that are distributed through an underground network
in  Burma.  "I can see that the world is changing. So  Burma  should change,
too," says Yeni, expressing an optimism that is a hallmark of ABSDF fighters.

GRAPHIC: PHOTO: DEMOCRACY'S WARRIORS: Moe Thee Zun (center), vice chairman of
the All  Burma  Students Democratic Front, maps strategy with fellow
ex-intellectuals, who have fought in the jungle against the military government
for nearly a decade, despite dwindling numbers. YVAN COHEN. MAP: Showing
 Burma.  DAVE HERRING - STAFF