AUST MUST FOLLOWS U.S.: DEMOCRATS

[Follwing is MEDIA RELEASE BY AUSTRALIAN DEMOCRATS ON 23 APRIL 1997].

Senator Meg Lees
Australian Democrats
Deputy Leader

April 23, 1997			MEDIA RELEASE			97/270

AUSTRALIA MUST FOLLOW US LEAD ON TRADE SANCTIONS AGAINST BURMA:
DEMOCRATS

The Australian Democrats have welcomed the imposition of United States
trade sanctions against Burma.

?At last!? Democrat Deputy Leader Senator Meg Lees said.

?For years the Democrats have been calling on our successive governments
to impose these sanctions.

?The Federal Government must act now to follow the US example and to
impose immediate Australian trade and investment sanctions against
Burma.

?There can be no doubt that SLORC, the military junta which controls
Burma, is one of the most repressive, brutal and vicious regimes on
earth.

?It is morally wrong to do business with these murderous thugs who so
blatantly deprive the Burmese people of the basic human rights, rights
which we enjoy and take for granted.

?The Democrats believe that the international community, including the
Australian Government, has a responsibility to do everything in its
power to help the victims of SLORC.

?For that reason we commend the US Government for its initiative and
urge the Australian Government to immediately follow their example.

?Trade sanctions work.  As in the case of South Africa and apartheid, a
coordinated international effort which includes sanctions, is the most
effective way of achieving democracy in Burma.

?Nobel Laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has called on Australia and other
countries to stop doing business with these people.

?We call on the Coalition to heed her voice and impose sanctions now.?

AUSTRALIAN DEMOCRATS