INVESTMENT SANCTIONS IN BURMA

[The following is Statement by President Bill Clinton and Secretary of
State Madeleine K. Albright concerning Investment Sanctions Against
Burma.]

 THE WHITE HOUSE

                          Office of the Press Secretary
 For Immediate Release

 April 22, 1997

 STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

 Investment Sanctions in Burma

        Today I am announcing my decision to impose a ban on
        new
 U.S. investment in Burma.

        I have taken this step in response to a constant and
 continuing pattern of severe repression by the State Law and
 Order Restoration Council (SLORC) in Burma. During the past
 seven months, the SLORC has arrested and detained large
 numbers of students and opposition supporters, sentenced
 dozens to long- term imprisonment, and prevented the
 expression of political views by the democratic opposition,
 including Aung San Suu Kyi and the National League for
 Democracy (NLD).

        I have therefore imposed sanctions under the terms of
        the
 "Cohen-Feinstein" Amendment, a bipartisan measure that I
 fully support. As contained in the Burma policy provision of
 the Consolidated Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 1997
 (Public Law 104-208), this amendment calls for investment
 sanctions if the Government of Burma has physically harmed,
 rearrested for political acts, or exiled Aung San Suu Kyi,
 or has committed large-scale repression of or violence
 against the democratic opposition. It is my judgement that
 recent actions by the regime in Rangoon constitute such
 repression.

        Beyond its pattern of' repressive human rights
        practices, the
 Burmese authorities also have committed serious abuses in
 their recent military campaign against Burma's Karen
 minority, forcibly conscripting civilians and compelling
 thousands to flee into Thailand. The SLORC regime has
 overturned the Burmese people's democratically elected
 leadership. Under this brutal military regime, Burma remains
 the world's leading producer of opium and heroin, and
 tolerates drug trafficking and traffickers in defiance the
 views of the international community. The regime has shown
 little political will to stop the narcotics exports from
 Burma and prevent illicit drug money from enriching those
 who would flaunt International rules and profit by
 destroying the lives of millions.

       The United States and other members of the
       international
 community have firmly and repeatedly taken steps to
 encourage democratization and human rights in Burma. Through
 our action

 today, we seek to keep faith with  the people of Burma, who
 made clear their support  for human rights and democracy in
 1990 elections which the regime chose to disregard. We join
 with many others in the international community calling for
 reform in Burma, and we emphasize that the U.S.-Burma
 relationship will improve only as there is progress on
 democratization and respect for human rights.

        In particular, we once again urge the authorities in
        Burma
 to lift restrictions on Aung San Suu Kyi and the political
 Opposition, respect the rights of free expression, assembly
 and association, and undertake a dialogue on Burma's
 political future that includes leaders of the NLD and the
 ethic minorities.

 ###

 (as prepared for delivery)

 Statement of Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
 Concerning Investment Sanctions Against Burma
                April 22, 1997

  I am announcing today that President Clinton has decided to
 impose a ban on new investment by Americans in Burma. This
 action is being taken under provisions of law authorised
 senator Dianne Feinstein and former Senator and now
 Secretary of Defense William Cohen:

 The decision is based on the President's judgement that the
 repression by the military authorities of the democratic
 opposition in Burma has deepened since enactment of the
 Cohen-Feinstein provisions this past September 30, and that
 a state of large-scale repression exists.

 As the sponsors intended, we have used the prospect of new
 investment sanctions as a tool to encourage change.
 Specifically. we have urged the military authorities in
 Burma to begin a serious political dialogue with the
 National League for Democracy, led by Aung San Suu Kyi, and
 with representatives of Burma's many ethnic minorities. In
 addition to our own discussions, we have worked with friends
 in Asia and Europe to make clear to Burma the potential
 international benefits of a more democratic approach.

 Unfortunately, the military leaders in Rangoon have chosen
 not to listen. Instead, they have clamped down further on
 democratic political activity. They have severely restricted
 Aung San Suu Kyi's ability to address her supporters
 publicly, closed political party offices, arrested peaceful
 demonstrators and harassed and intimidated those espousing
 democratic principles. The military has also continued a
 range of other repressive policies, including violence
 against civilians and forcible conscription.

 Regrettably, the Burmese Government shows no signs of
 moderating its insecure and we believe -- ultimately
 doomed -- authoritarian policies. It remains embarked upon a
 course that can lead only to greater isolation, reduced
 economic vibrancy and steadily increased pressure for
 political change. This is a dangerous and disappointing
 direction.

 The ban on now U.S. investment in Burma is the latest in a
 series of sanctions the United States has imposed in
 response to the utter lack of political freedom in that
 country, and because its government has failed to cooperate
 in the war against drugs.

 In combination with the earlier actions we and other nations
 have taken, and shareholder concerns around the world, we
 believe this step will deal a further blow to investor
 confidence in Burma. It will send a message to the military
 that it will not attract the investment it clearly craves,
 unless it begins a genuine dialogue with its own people.

 We remain ready to review these measures and our overall
 policy towards Burma should events there warrant. We
 continue to express our admiration and support for Burma's
 courageous democratic leaders. And we urge nations around
 the world to join in the call for a peaceful transition in
 Burma government that reflects -- rather than rejects -- the
 will of the people.
-------
End