statement of Rep.Furse on Burma San

Subject: statement of Rep.Furse on Burma Sanctions (04/23)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:23:43 -0400

The following is the insert of Rep.Furse's statement on the House floor on
April 23, 1997.
-------------------

    BURMA SANCTIONS AT LAST

    HON. ELIZABETH FURSE
  in the House of Representatives
  WEDNESDAY, APRIL 23, 1997

Ms. FURSE. Mr. Speaker, I congratulate the Clinton administration for its
announcement yesterday to impose new sanctions on Burma . This is
absolutely the right thing to do in the face of growing oppression of the
Burmese people at the hands of Burma 's State Law and Order Restoration
Council.

This is an important message to other nations considering further
investment in a nation with a repressive military junta illegally governing
it. The imposition of sanctions will facilitate a dialog with those who are
seeking democracy and will help to make 1997 a year of change. This could
be the year the SLORC's power is broken.

I have written to Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to encourage her to
pursue these sanctions with all due vigor, and to consider other options
which may be necessary in order to restore true law and order to this
beleaguered country.

In February, prodemocracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi called on the rest of the
world to block investment in her country. United States sanctions are an
urgently-needed step in the struggle being waged by Aung San Suu Kyi and so
many others in Burma . I have had a long-time interest in this issue and I
urge my colleagues to join me in advocating for democracy there.

### end insert  ###

For U.S. Govt.'s activities on Burma, Visit to:
Burma and U.S. Congress:  http://www.clark.net/pub/burmaus/
Washington Burma Report: http://www.clark.net/pub/wbr/