United States senate letter to Made

Subject: United States senate letter to Madeleine K.Albright.

							UNITED STATES SENATE
							COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN RELATIONS
							WASHINGTON, DC 20510 3225

								April 30,1997

The Honorable Madeleine K. Albright
Secretary
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street N.W.
Washington, D.C.

Dear Madam Secretary:

	We are profoundly troubled by the plight of Karen refugees along the
Thailand-Burma border. Since January, Burma?s military forces have brutally
attacked the Karen in a blatant attempt to wipe out one of the last
remaining forces of opposition to the SLORC regime. Thailand has forcibly
repatriated many Karen refugees who fled the fighting. Although  there has
been a lull in Thailand?s repatriation efforts, we are apprehensive that
another and larger forcible repatriation may be imminent.

For that reason, we respectfully urge that you communicate directly with
Prime Minister Chavalit the strong United States opposition to any forcible
repatriation of Karen refugees, as well as the United State?s concern that
humanitarian agencies be granted access to the refugees.

As a longtime ally of Thailand, the United States has assisted the Thai
government in providing assistance to the Karen and other refugee
populations. We whish to continue providing such assistance.

We genuinely appreciate your efforts on behalf of democracy and freedom in
Burma and the Administration?s recent decision to impose a ban on new U.S.
investment in Burma.

Sincerely,

Signed by.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan			Jesse Helms

Mitch Mc Connell				Patrick J. Leahy

Alfonse M, D? Amato				Edward M. Kennedy