(12/30/88) Students Go Home

The Associated Press

                      December  30, 1988, Friday, PM cycle

SECTION: International News

HEADLINE: Students Return To Capital After Fleeing Military Crackdown

DATELINE: RANGOON, Burma

 BODY:
   Thirty-six students who fled Burma's military crackdown flew home today, and
authorities allowed a one-month extension for thousands of others to return from
the Thai border region.
   Government spokesman Kyaw Sann told reporters the government had extended its
deadline from Saturday to Jan. 31 for the students to return.

   A Burmese air force plane brought back the second group of students since the
government announced all students who fled after the Sept. 18 military coup and
had sought haven could return without retribution.

   A group of 80 students arrived in Rangoon on Monday from a special transition
camp in the northern Thai city of Tak, near guerrilla-held border areas.

   Among the second group was Aung Mo Myint, 20. His elder brother had returned
on Monday, and at that time their father made an emotional plea for the return
of his other son.

   Aung Mo Myint wept when he asked a reporter about his father, and was told of
the plea.

   He said he did not accompany his brother earlier because, "I was skeptical
about the government's intention. I am now convinced that it is genuine, and we
are safe to be back in our country. I am sure others will also return. We heard
on the radio about the receptions here."
   Another student, Hkun Thaung Myine, said he felt sorry for his colleagues
left behind, some of whom he said "may have difficulties in escaping from the
rebels."

   Thai officials said 19 other students remained in the camp in Tak, including
some whose departures were delayed because they were waiting for friends and
relatives still staying with Burmese insurgents along the border. They estimate
7,000 students remain along the border.

   University students led massive nationwide demonstrations for democracy in
Burma until the new military authorities crushed the protests.

   Many of the students found jungle life too harsh or said the guerrillas
mistreated them.

   The protests prompted the resignation in July of Ne Win, who overthrew a
civilian government in 1962 and led Burma's only political party since then. In
August, Maung Maung became Burma's first civilian leader in 26 years, declared
an end to a multiparty state and promised elections.

   He was overthrown by army Gen.  Saw Maung  a month later.  Saw Maung  also
has promised elections but has not issued a date for elections.
   The agreement to repatriate the students was reached by  Saw Maung  and Gen.
Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, the Thai army chief who on Dec. 14 became the first high
foreign official to visit Burma since the coup.