Newsweek, May 12, 1997, INTERVIEW,

Subject: Newsweek, May 12, 1997, INTERVIEW,  "JUST SAY NO TO BURMA"

Newsweek
May 12, 1997

INTERVIEW

JUST SAY NO TO BURMA

Sukhumbhand Paribatra, a cousin of Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej's, is
a member of Parliament from the opposition Democrat party and chairman of
the Thai Parliament's foreign affairs subcommittee on Thai - Burmese
relations. One of Thailand's most respected foreign-policy experts.
Sukhumbhand, 44, is sharply critical of the policy of "constructive
engagement" that his country and the six other members of ASEAN -- the
Association of South East Asian Nations  -- follow toward Burma. He talked
in Bangkok with Newsweek's Ron Moreau. Excerpts:

MORELS: Will Washington's embargo on new American investment in Burma,
announced in April, bring about positive change there?

SUKHUMBHAND: I think the sanctions are justified in moral terms. In recent
months the junta has increased its suppression of opposition groups In
Burma. This is a worrying trend; Washington is right to register its
disapproval of the way things are going. But I have a feeling that
[sanctions] won't work. The economies of this region are so well integrated
that the temporary void created by the ban on new U.S. investment will
quickly be filled by someone else, and Burma's increasing trade with its
neighbors will go on.

Q:  Washington is lobbying ASEAN members not to admit Burma as a full member
of the regional group when they meet in Kuala Lumpur in July. Is that the
right thing to do?

I don't think ASEAN should admit Burma as a new member in July. New members
must live up to a minimum standard of decency for admission, and I think the
present junta in Burma has failed to meet that minimum standard of decent
behavior. New member governments must also meet a minimum standard of
legitimacy and I believe the Burmese junta has no legitimacy.  It has held
on to power against the verdict of the last [1990] election, which it was
responsible for organizing. So I think Burma has failed the litmus test for
both decency
and legitimacy.

Q:  What should ASEAN do regarding Burma?

In its policy of "constructive engagement" with Burma, ASEAN should put more
emphasis on being constructive and less on engagement. In the past, ASEAN
has emphasized engagement, such as investing in Burma and doing business
with the junta. Now it's time to move forward to stress constructive
intervention in Burmese affairs. We have to be more direct in talking to
them about the kind of decency and legitimacy in government that we'd like
to see in a friendly, neighboring country

Q:  But aren't ASEAN foreign ministers already quietly advising the junta to
clean up its act?

Some of that is going on.  But if (Malaysian Prime Minister) Mahathir
(Mohamad) has his way, ASEAN  would admit Burma by July without asking
anything in return. This is far too early and too easy for the junta.

Q:  Specifically, what changes should Burma make before it is admitted?

I think the Burmese junta must make progress along the road toward more
accountability and openness before we admit them. At least that means
talking to and working with the democratic opposition. ASEAN has developed
to a stage of maturity where it should be able to confidently say "no" to
countries who wish to join ASEAN but
who do not measure up to our standards of behavior. I'm not saying that all
ASEAN countries are paragons of democracy but there is growing
accountability and transparency in all ASEAN countries. We respect the main
principles of the United Nations Charter of Human Rights.

Q:  What should Thailand's attitude be toward Burma?

As Burma's closest ASEAN neighbor we should make the point very directly and
clearly that Burma's domestic affairs are having a very negative impact on
Thailand. For example, the junta's military offensive against Karen rebels
along our border is pushing refugees into Thailand. Since we abide by
human-rights conventions we cannot be expected to push all these refugees
back to Burma as the junta demands.  We must insist that Burma solve its
internal problems by bringing about enough domestic change so that refugees
and other Burmese won't fear returning to their county voluntarily.

Q: So  you think Thailand should insist on democratic change in Burma?

I don't think we should try to promote democracy anywhere before we have a
full- fledged democratic system in Thailand.  Democracy is the wrong word.
What one should realistically hope for and push for is a system of
government in Burma that is answerable to the people. That's in Thailand's
own self-interest because Thailand cannot survive as an island of democracy
in the middle of authoritarian regimes.
http://www2.gol.com/users/brelief/Index.htm