New York City Passes Burma Sanction

Subject: New York City Passes Burma Sanctions

NEW YORK BURMA SUPPORT GROUP

NEW YORK CITY, WEDNESDAY, 14 MAY 1997
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New York City Passes Burma Sanctions

The City of New York will no longer do business with companies doing
business in Burma under the provisions a law adopted unanimously by the New
York City Council Wednesday afternoon at City Hall here . Bill #647A passed
by 50 votes to none opposed

City Council Speaker Peter Vallone said the Council voted for the
legislation only after hearing strong proof of human rights abuses by
Burmese ruling military junta, the State Law and Order Restoration council
(SLORC). "New York City has a right and an obligation to invest our money to
do good and not to encourage evil," Vallone said.

A March 4 Council hearing on the legislation heard detailed and often
disturbing testimony regarding the Burmese military dictatorship's denial of
democracy, responsibility for severe human rights muses and ecological
devastation and links Burma's booming heroin trade.

New York becomes the thirteenth US city to adopt selective purchasing
legislation aimed at the repressive Burmese military junta On the state
level, Massachusetts adopted a similar law last year and legislation is
today under active consideration In Connecticut and Texas. US Federal
(government sanctions enacted on April 22 bars all new American investment
In Burma

Council member Mary Pinkett of Brooklyn said the new law showed there could
be "no business as usual when dealing with dictatorships. This shows as New
Yorkers we will take a stand to not only to protect our own Interests but
the rights of diners who are suffering so terribly. To the people of Burma
we say, 'Please know that you are not forgotten. "'

Councilman Kenneth Fisher, one of the law's original sponsors was among
fifteen council members who spoke in support of the bill. "I hope the
Burmese Junta will pay attention to what we did here today," Fisher said,
"but it's more important if it helps make them pay attention to democrats in
Burma."

City Council member Thomas Duane of Manhattan, another strong supporter of
the bill, added: "New Yorkers today showed our support for Aung San Suu Kyi
and the vast majority of Burmese who want a peaceful and democratic country.
and our belief that corporate greed must not be allowed to prop a cruel and
corrupt dictatorship."

UNOCAL, the California-based petrochemical giant, is partners with the SLORC
junta in a billion dollar gas pipeline project associated with serious human
rights abuses, and faces suit in federal court in California by victims of
these abuses. UNOCAL is using the New York firm of Davidoff and Malito to
lobby against Bill 647A.

Unocal and Texaco are today targets of consumer boycotts because of their
business in Burma. Other companies which have already pulled out of Burma or
announced they will not do business there include Apple Computer, Motorola,
Kodak Pepsi-Cola Anheuser-Busch, Heineken, Columbia Sportswear, Macy's
(Federated Dept. Stores) Amoco' Levi Strauss, Eddie Bauer and Liz Claiborne.

New York City Mayor Rudy Giullani now has 30 days to either sign or veto the
bill. His Administration has twice testified against the bill but City
Council members expressed confidence that the Council would easily muster
the two-thirds majority needed to override a mayoral veto.

For further information, please contact;
	New York City;         Nina Reznick, Coordinators NY Burma Support Group
212-473-0048
	                                   Dr. Than Htun, Burma UN Office
212-338-0048
	                                   New York City Council    212 788-6948
	Connecticut:             Representative Jessie Stratton   860-240-0440
	Texas	                 Representative Lon Burnam   214-522-8905
http://www2.gol.com/users/brelief/Index.htm