(07/25/92)Prime Minister Dr. Sein W

Subject: (07/25/92)Prime Minister Dr. Sein Win's Speech

                                         BBC
                          Summary of World Broadcasts

                            July  25, 1992, Saturday

HEADLINE:  SEIN WIN'S  ADDRESS BROADCAST BY ''DEMOCRATIC VOICE OF BURMA''

SOURCE: Democratic Voice of Burma in Burmese 1430 gmt 22 Jul 92

 BODY:
   Text of ''opening address'' by Dr  Sein Win,  Prime Minister of the National
Coalition Government of the Union of Burma, at the inauguration of the
''Democratic Voice of Burma'' radio station in Oslo, Norway on 14th June

   Esteemed public, today [14th June] is an auspicious day for all the people of
Burma, the struggle for democracy and human rights in Burma and national
solidarity among national races. Today is the first time in the 50 years of
modern Burmese history that a free broadcast programme in accordance with
the

genuine desires of the people has been made. It is not an easy task to
implement.

   The Norwegian government and the majority of the Norwegian public, to show
their sympathy for the loss of human rights, the difficulties faced, and the
violation of the democratic rights of the Burmese people have allowed the
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma [NCGUB], on behalf of the
democratic forces in Burma, to broadcast. From this place, I would like to
express my appreciation and thanks to the Norwegian government and people for
their sympathies and their decisive stance.

   Esteemed public, today the entire Burmese public is facing various
difficulties. The one and only way to get out of this crisis is to fulfil the
true wishes of the Burmese people. The true wishes of the Burmese people were
openly expressed at the elections held on 27th May 1990. The main responsibility
for fulfilling the desires of the public lies with

   1. The State Law and Order Restoration Council [SLORC] ,

   2. the democratic forces, and

   3. the defence forces.

   Esteemed public, today the SLORC is talking about holding a national
convention and drawing up a new constitution. If the SLORC has genuinely good
intentions for the country, it should quickly release all political prisoners,
hold discussions with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi for national reconciliation as soon
as possible, stop the civil war and hold discussions with leaders of the
national races. If they cannot perform these tasks, the national convention and
the new constitution will have no meaning at all.

   By looking at the democratic forces' Gandhi Declaration [the declaration on a
transfer of power made by elected National League for Democracy representatives
at a meeting at the Gandhi Memorial Hall in Rangoon in July 1990] , the decisive
principles and policies of the Democratic Alliance of Burma [DAB] and the
principles and policies adopted for proposed meetings and discussions, one can
clearly see that the democratic forces never say no to anything that is for the
good of the country. SLORC should also officially respond to Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi's invitation to hold discussions for national reconciliation. As you know,
the decisive principles and declarations prove that the NCGUB has never closed
the door to peace.
   Finally, I would like to speak to the defence forces. In accordance with the
prevailing historical situation, the defence forces are mainly responsible for
the betterment of Burma and the fulfilment of the desires of the country. The
idea that the defence forces must obey orders and fulfil every command is not
applicable to the present situation in Burma and contrasts with the prevailing
practices of defence forces in other countries. The defence forces must analyse
every action to see whether it is beneficial to the people or harms the public,
whether it is in accordance with defence force discipline or just reckless, and
whether they are for the interests of the populace or the interests of an
individual, group or organization.

   If we all work together, knowing our own responsibilities and striving for
the benefit of the country, we can quickly overcome the present crisis in Burma.
I would like to conclude by urging the esteemed public to join hands with us in
trying to fulfil the desires and wishes of the people in the march to reach our
goal, which is democracy.