Letter From President Clinton

THE WHITE HOUSE
WASHINGTON

May 14, 1997

Nyi Nyi Lwin
Democratic Burmese Students Organization
13113 Twin Brook Parkway
Rockville, MD 20851

Dear Nyi Nyi Lwin and Yin Aye

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding the situation in Burma. I
am concerned about human rights abuses and the silencing of voices of
political dissent, including the repression of the democratic movement in
Burma. I am particularly troubled by the continue efforts to restrain the
activities of Aung San Suu Kyi.

I April I announced my decision to impose a ban on new U.S. investment in
Burma. I took that step in response to the unacceptable pattern of severe
repression by the State Law and Order Restoration Council in Burma. In
addition to this recent measure, my Administration has led an international
effort to encourage democratization and improve human rights in Burma. We
have suspended aid and trade benefits, placed a ban of visas for Burmese who
have benefited from SLORC actions, and poosed loans being sought by Burma
from international financial institutes.

I am urging our friends and allies in the region and around the world to
stand with us against repressive by the SLORC and in support of those who
seek freedom and democracy.

We will keep faith with the people of Burma, who made clear their support
for human rights and democracy in the 1990 election, which the regime has
chosen to disregard. And I will continue to monitor Aung San Suu Kyi's
situation carefully.

I appreciate your interest.

Sincerely,

Bill Clinton

Note: This letter of copy is available to use for publication and other
goodwill purposes. E-mail me at waterly@xxxxxxxxxx

After May 22, 1996  the SLORC arrested more than 500 NLD members in Rangoon
when the party prepared to call a party congress. I along with Ko Yin Aye,
now in England, Ko Zar Ni, Free Burma Coalition, and Ko Shwe Sin Tun, DBSO,
called a hunger strike to urge the SLORC to release all detainees and to
urge President Clinton to sent special envoys to Burma to negotiate with the
SLORC to release all political prisoners. The U.S. send two envoys to Asia
countries and expressed the policy of U.S. toward Burma. Later, the SLORC
released most arrested leaders, and said the SLORC put the NLD's members in
special gust house temporarily.

Without the U.S. pressure, the 500 members from NLD might be killed in Burma
at that time. We glad that Mr. President took such serious action against
the SLORC.

In May 23, I and Ko Yin Aye sent a letter to President Clinton from in front
of the White House where we stationed for the hunger strike. In the letter,
we requested Mr. Clinton to impose sanctions and to call the SLORC to
release all detainess immediately.

I and other 59 Burmese and American took 30 days hunger strike. At night, we
slept in Lafayette park, 200 miter away from the White Hose. In day time, we
sit in the park and collected signatures. Some times, the rain fell very
hard but we slept there and we sit there. Our bodies were wet and cooled.
Police officers came every midnight and checked us where we were safe. Dr.
Moe Thu and Dr. Sein Win donated us medicines and mineral waters.

We saw the lights in the White House off and on at the nights. Then we
prayed President Clinton and his family, and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
NLD's members in Burma before we slept.

In July 19, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's birthday celebration ceremony in Senate
building, the strike was announced to end by Prime Minister Dr. Sein Win and
Mrs. Lantos.

I just recalled the May hunger strike today why we refused our daily foods
to commit with our leaders who were illegally arrested in last May by the
SLORC, and I thank Ko Shwe Sin Dr. Win and his wife and other friends who
took the strike with us to express our sacrifices for our people and their
will to restore democracy and human rights in Burma.

The anniversary of May election day is coming up again but the SLORC is
refusing to honor the election results.  How grave they are!!

I today pray, "May Buddha bless people of Burma and NLD's members."