KHRG #97-07 Part 6 of 6 (Offensives

Subject: KHRG #97-07 Part 6 of 6 (Offensives)

		    REFUGEES FROM THE SLORC OCCUPATION

	  An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
		    May 25, 1997     /     KHRG #97-07

*** PART 6 OF 6 - SEE PREVIOUS POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

[Some details omitted or replaced by 'XXXX' for Internet distribution.]

		       The Tenasserim Offensive

Just before launching its offensive in Dooplaya District, the SLORC
launched a similar mass offensive in Tenasserim Division of southern
Burma, hoping to capture strongly KNU-controlled territory along the
Tenasserim and Paw Kloh valleys, and the entire strip of territory between
the Tenasserim River and the Thai border.  In early February, SLORC
troops were already conducting mass roundups of civilians all along the
Andaman seaboard, from Moulmein (capital of Mon State) southward to
Ye, Tavoy and beyond.  Troops surrounded Moulmein town market and
other markets and captured all adult men, rounded up men on their way out
of video halls and other gathering places, and even set up checkpoints along
the main north-south road between Ye and Tavoy to stop passenger
vehicles and capture all able-bodied men.  The attack force, much of it from
#55 LID, set out from Tavoy area and moved eastward, capturing Myitta at
the junction of the Tenasserim and Paw Kloh rivers on 8 February 1997.
The force then split into three groups, one pushing southward up the Paw
Kloh River, one to the northeast toward Tho Ka at the Thai border (just
south of the planned gas pipeline route), and the third and largest force
continuing eastward and then southward down the Tenasserim River.  The
first force captured the entire Paw Kloh valley before the end of February,
but the force trying to head down the Tenasserim River encountered stiff
resistance and sustained very high casualties.  The terrain in Tenasserim is
much more rugged, forested and sparsely populated than most of the
offensive areas in Dooplaya District, giving the Karen forces an advantage.

The attack force in the Tenasserim valley split into two groups, one
sweeping southward along the Thai border and a second force taking a
parallel route southward along the Tenasserim River and adjacent valleys.
As in Dooplaya District, SLORC clearly wanted the border sealed against
the escape of refugees.  KNLA 4th Brigade headquarters at Minthamee Hta
and Minthamee Kee fell on 25 and 26 February respectively.  The SLORC
forces then headed further south, sometimes using Thai territory, while
another force came eastward from Mergui to take positions further south on
the Tenasserim River.  Fighting is still going on several hours' journey to
the south of the former 4th Brigade headquarters.

The situation in the Paw Kloh valley was similar to Dooplaya - some
refugees managed to escape across the hills to the east to reach the
Tenasserim River valley, but the Paw Kloh fell so quickly that many people
were trapped there.  The strong resistance put up against the SLORC force
heading down the Tenasserim River valley allowed most of the villagers in
the upper Tenasserim valley to flee to Thailand, but many were then forced
back by the Thai Army into vulnerable areas of Burma just slightly further
south.  South of the 4th Brigade headquarters the offensive bogged down,
with strong resistance and most of the troops' supply lines overextended and
cut off.  However, the force following the border then moved 10 km.
further south through Thai territory to attack the KNLA from behind, and
shortly thereafter the force following the river managed to move undetected
through terrain just west of the river and suddenly appeared a long way
further south, in the area of Tee Neh Paw and Way Toh Ray.  Thousands of
displaced people were still in this area and suddenly had to flee for their
lives for the Thai border, including many refugees who had previously been
forcibly repatriated by the Thai 9th Division.  This flight was so sudden
that
there were even instances of children, the elderly and the sick being left
behind to the mercy of the SLORC troops.

Due to heavy fighting, difficulty of terrain and difficulty of access, there
is as yet relatively little information available as to the behaviour of
SLORC troops on entering villages.  Most information indicates that upon
capturing each village, if there was any resistance encountered then the
troops burn all or part of the village and torture or execute some of the
villagers.  For example, there are reports from several sources that when
they reached Kaneh Khoh village in the Paw Kloh valley, SLORC troops captured

12 women and took them to Ler Muh village.  After there was fighting in Ler
Muh village, the 12 women were all raped and killed as a retaliation,
including Naw Kri May, 25, who was raped in front of her husband and family
by 3 soldiers and then executed with a knife.  If there is no resistance
encountered on entering a village, the troops are reportedly under orders not

to destroy the village but they often do anyway.  Villagers who are caught
outside villages face possible execution or at least conscription as porters,

while villagers found in their villages must depend on luck - their treatment

depends on the mood of the troops.  Women porters have been sighted with
SLORC troops at Amla, Minthamee Kee and other locations.  It is
important to emphasise that these troops are somewhat desperate due to the
fact that their supply lines are not functioning; many of them are no longer
receiving any rations or supplies, and they are hungry.  SLORC units have
crossed into Thailand and demanded rice and porters from the Thai Army
9th Division.  While not supplying them any porters, the 9th Division is
now supplying some of the attack force with rice.

Those fleeing to Thailand have faced abuse and humiliation by the Thai
Army 9th Division.  When the first floods of refugees flooded across the
border at Bong Ti, on 26 February the 9th Division sent back all boys and
men aged 10 and above directly into a combat zone, telling them to "fight
or surrender".  Then over 800 others, mainly the women and children who
remained, were told they would be taken to a safer place in Thailand and
put on trucks, which then drove them southward to the Thai village of Na
Hay where they were summarily pushed back across the border to Hta Ma
Pyo Kee by Thai troops.  The 9th Division has conducted similar
repatriations further north at Tho Ka and Tee Lai Pa (with Dooplaya
refugees from Tee Hta Baw).  Fortunately, international pressure appears to
have put a temporary stop to such actions.  However, those fleeing across
the border are still facing great insecurity, as Thai authorities continue to

insist they are going to be repatriated and the Thai 9th Division is actively

spreading disinformation in the camps (which are closed to most outside
access) that the fighting is over and the SLORC troops have withdrawn
from the refugees' home villages.  The refugees are not allowed to build any
semi-permanent structure, and many have been living in the dirt under a
plastic sheet in unshaded farmfields for over a month, during a time when
the weather varied between daily rains and blazing sun.

Many of the villagers are still trapped in the villages and forests between
constantly moving SLORC patrols, and their future is uncertain as the rainy
season approaches.  Many of these people were already internally displaced
by SLORC's forced relocation campaign which began in September 1996.
Between September and January, relocation orders were given to almost
every village between the Tavoy-Mergui-Kawthaung car road in the west
and the Tenasserim River in the east, from Palauk in the north to
Tenasserim town in the south - an area measuring about 120 km. north-south
and 30 km. east-west, containing at least 35-40 villages ranging in size
from 20-150 households [see "Free-Fire Zones in Southern Tenasserim",
a KHRG report to be released shortly].  This region lies just
west and south of the main offensive areas.  The villages there had already
been declared as free-fire zones before the offensive began; most villagers
were living in hiding, while several hundred had fled eastward to the
Tenasserim valley, where they were staying in villages which have now
been overrun by SLORC as part of the offensive.  Many of these people
have been on the run non-stop for 9 months already, with no end yet in
sight.  Their home areas remain free-fire zones.  Though these areas were
not included in the offensive, it is likely that once SLORC secures the
Tenasserim valley it will sweep these areas for villagers as well.

Consolidating its control over this region will be much harder for SLORC
than it will be in Dooplaya District, because of the difficulties of terrain,

supply, and lower civilian population.  There are no good roads to Burmese
coastal towns, and this part of the Tenasserim River is fast, dangerous and
only navigable by small motorized canoes.  Part of the reason for the
offensive is the SLORC/Thai plan to build an all-season trading road from
Tavoy eastward along the Tenasserim River valley, crossing the Thai border
at Bong Ti.  To this end, bulldozers came just behind the main attacking
force to start work on the road as quickly as possible.  However, much of
the area SLORC is taking will still remain inaccessible to easy transport,
and
they will probably not be able to maintain a heavy troop presence there.
Any villagers still in the area will probably be used as porters to carry all

supplies for the troops in the area, and will also be forced to build their
camps and act as servants and sentries.  Extortion and looting will be
conducted as per routine by any troops in the area.

As the rains come in June, many of the attack troops may soon be rotated
out or withdrawn and those still in the area may concentrate on setting up
secure positions.  If this happens, movement will become easier for both
villagers and KNLA troops, and there will probably be extensive guerrilla
activity in the area.  This will likely result in the usual retaliations,
arrests, torture and executions against villages.  It is possible that forced

relocation campaigns may be initiated against some of the remaining villages
in the Paw Kloh and Tenasserim valleys, and villages between the Tenasserim
River and the Thai border.  However, as yet it is still difficult to predict
the future of this area, as the situation is not at all stable or resolved.

The interviews below were conducted in late March and early April with
refugees who had just fled the Way Toh Ray area when the SLORC troops
arrived.

		    Interviews with Initial Refugees

				   #T1.
NAME:    "Saw Ber Kaw"    SEX: M    AGE: 42              Karen farmer
ADDRESS: Ta Pi Lay Ko village, Ler Mu Lah township       INTERVIEWED: 3/4/97

[When interviewed "Saw Ber Kaw" had just arrived at the Thai border
with a group of 500 new refugees.  A large SLORC force had moved
southward undetected through valleys parallel to the Tenasserim valley
and had suddenly appeared in villages like Ta Pi Lay Ko, which had been
far from the frontline, with little or no warning.]

I'm from Ta Pi Lay Ko.  1,000 refugees had gathered there [from villages
further up the Tenasserim River closer to the frontline].  On 25 March we
started to leave Ta Pi Lay Ko and flee up the Ka Kyu stream.  When we
arrived at Haw Thu area we heard Burmese gunshots, and the refugees
divided into 2 groups.  One group of about 500 people fled [upstream, east
toward the border] to Ta Pi Kee and the other group went back
[westward] to Ta Pi Lay Ko.  The people who ran to Ta Pi Kee hid there,
500 of them.  The people who went back to Ta Pi Lay Ko then ran down
the [Tenasserim] river to Si Praw Hta.

At Ka Kyu Hta [upriver from Ta Pi Lay Ko] there was not a single Karen
soldier.  In Haw Thu area there were no Karen soldiers.  When the
Burmese fired on the villagers around Haw Thu, our group of 500 villagers
fled to Ta Pi Lay Ko, and then down the river to Si Praw Hta.  The
Burmese ran after us place to place and then when they arrived at Si Praw
Hta they fired their big guns on us.  In Si Praw Hta the Burmese shelled
with 30 big shells.  At that time there weren't any soldiers there.  Everyone

was villagers.  There were only one or two Karen soldiers.
Q:  Where did you run to?
A:   Me, I was with the group at Si Praw Hta.  One was wounded.  A man,
over 20 years old.  He is from Ta Pi Lay Ko.  When the shells landed we
ran, we ran up the streams, place to place until we arrived at the border on
the 28th [of March].
Q:  Now where are the refugees?
A:   Along the way near Si Praw Hta there are still 80 to 100 people,
because they are sick, they can't walk or they have small babies.  Halfway
along the way there's another group of about 300 [a long distance
upstream from Si Praw Hta, towards the border].  At the border at Lay
Per Ko there is a group of 50.  Near the border at Huay Ba Klai there are
80 or 100 refugees back there.  Some others are in Thailand now.  About
another 400 refugees are coming to Naw La Daw and will arrive at 10 a.m.
tomorrow [to cross the border].
				   #T2.
NAME:    "Tha Doh Htoo" SEX: M AGE: 45 Karen Mo Lu Pa La (animist) hill
farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 2 children
ADDRESS: A'May village, Ler Mu Lah township      INTERVIEWED: 31/3/97

["Tha Doh Htoo"'s elder sister is blind and was left behind in the village
during the rush to flee from the approaching SLORC Army.]

At first I lived in Kyi May, but now I live in A'May village.  There are 18
households in A'May village.  All of them came here.  I arrived 4 days ago.
I spent 3 days coming here from my village.
Q:  I heard that one old woman stayed behind near the village.
A:   She was left behind at Kleh Pa Taw because we could not carry her,
she couldn't walk and she is blind.  She couldn't walk.  She is more than 50
years old.  Her name is Naw Nweh.  Once a long time ago she had a
husband but no children, now she no longer has a husband and she is alone
now.
Q:  Where is she now?  In the forest?