ASEAN:Constructive Engagement or Di (r)

Subject: Re:ASEAN:Constructive Engagement or Diabolic Collaboration?

At 10:06 AM 6/8/97 +1000, degondor@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>IntelAsia wrote:
>>
>> ASEAN:Constructive Engagement or Diabolic Collaboration?
>>

>A person who the most fearful(coward?) opposition leader cannot lead.

"Fearful" means "causing fear".No wonder SLORC sympathizers are illiterate.
See any dictionary you have.

>Most ASEAN nations are ex-colonies so they will not listen to someone
>who always beg WESTERN nations for help and etc..... Suu Kyi should give
>up her British Citizenship along with her family to prove her loyalty to
>that nation. Can you imagine President of USA is a citizen of Brazil or
>Britain??

Whether to give up her hubby ,family and anything is up to her and it's her
choice.But the people voted for her in the elections.If the people say
yes,she ,as the elected representative can go ahead and carry the day.

>ASEAN made that decision based on their own interest.

Yes,indeed.In the interest of exploiting Burma's natural resources and for
fear of
Burma falling into the sway of China.

>The US & EU adopt the confrontation & isolation approach for so many
>years

Rights and values over business interests!!!The People vs  the profits.

 and the Myanmar Govt. doesn't care!!

Don't say that !any government cares about it.The nature of the pretenders
is visible.

 That country is
>self-sufficient in term of food and etc.

I pray that people won't starve and revolt again.

>Give ASEAN say 10 years to work on Myanmar.
>South Korea and Taiwan had military regimes for a long time and see
>after more than two decades of economic development they are now
>democratic nations. You need to achieve certain level of GDP to talk
>about democratic. Most people will not talk about voting rights etc.
>when they cannot be sure of their next meal.

Seeing is believing.I'll wait and see.

>If you say the current Myanmar Govt. is so hated by the people, how come
>during the last few years they are winning the war against separatist
>rebels ???

The people are unarmed.The separatist rebels have got no ample support from
any govt and when the SLORC is pounding them how can they hang on with no
ground?
It was a peace taken by force.

 They need motivated people to join their army to fight
>battles. Why don't some army commanders that has something against the
>SLORC general revolt?

Why?when army commanders are self-sufficient and paid well,why should they
care about the revolt?A bird in the hands is more sure than 2 birds on the
tree.Something like that.

 This thing happen so many time in the history of
>military regimes around the world.

Not Burma!believe me.But who knows?

Sincerely,

Peace