AsiaWeek: Beyond Sanctions (r)

It would be wonderful if Slorc would agree to the Sullivan principles. It
would mean that they have had a change of "heart" and are reforming.

>A prohibition on forced or child labor and on any company which uses
>such labor.

Would this mean that people would be exempt from forced labour and forced
labour taxes? Does this also extend to the Slorc, or merely foreign companies?

>A prohibition on dealing with local partners or contractors suspected of
>operating with laundered drug funds.

Would business will willing to delete at least half their list of potential
business partners? Will this also include "unlaundered" drug funds?

>A ban against engaging in corrupt practices.

I don't think the Slorc would agree to losing their cut...oops, I mean "taxes"

>Hiring a balance of ethnic groups and not discriminating in hiring
>policies against members of any political affiliation.

Sorry, that would mean the Slorc will have to stop their genocidal
offensives and arrests of NLD people or else there would be no "minorities"
left to employ

>Using a portion of profits generated locally to support NGO projects
>such as combating malnutrition or AIDS prevention.

Speechless

>Meeting the highest standard of environmental practices.

Of Hannibal? Genghis Khan? Nero?

>Compulsory periodic meetings with representatives of both political
>camps to discuss progress on the principles and other matters.

In front of blockades, or behind?

>The program should add to the stability of Myanmar. The country's
>several ethnic groups are being held together by the iron hand of the
>military. If this rule is lifted, with the gradual onset of democracy
>there is real danger that the country will degenerate into ethnic
>splintering and bloodletting. Foreign companies, creating jobs and
>economic advancement, offer an attractive alternative to these
>all-too-familiar ills.

The iron hand is the one doing the bloodletting, not just in Burma but in
neighbouring countries as well

The country is in no "danger" of degenerating - it's already gone over the
edge - economically, politically and socially.

Back to the drawing board, boys!