LETTER FROM U.S.MISSION TO THE U.N.

Subject: LETTER FROM U.S.MISSION TO THE U.N.(9/5/97)

/* Written 3 Jun 6:00am 1997 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -----------" Letter from U.S.Mission to U.N.(9/5/97) "------------ */

LETTER FROM U.S. MISSION TO THE U.N.
************************************
UNITED STATES MISSION TO THE UNITED NATIONS
799 United Nations Plaza
New York, N.Y. 10017

May 9, 1997

Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St. Marys SA 5042
Australia

Dear Dr. U Ne Oo:

Thank you for forwarding your letter about Burma to the Ambassador. The
United States Government shares your concern about the situation in Burma,
which we would like to see evolve into a democratic and open law-abiding
society.

As you may know, on April 22, President Clinton announced his decision to
impose a ban on new U.S. investments in Burma under the terms of the
Cohen-Fenstein amendment. It is the President's judgement that recent
actions by the SLORC constitute large-scale repression of the democratic
opposition there. In addition to the Cohen-Feinstein sanction, the U.S. has
suspended all assistance to Burma, imposed an arms embargo, blocked
assistance from international financial institutions and adopted visa
restrictions on SLORC leaders and their families.

We will continue to press the SLORC to begin a direct dialogue with Aung
San suu Kyi, and to urge the NLD to democratize Burma. We also demand that
the SLORC lift restrictions on the rights of Burmese to orgainze and
demonstrate peacefully and release persons detained for the peaceful
expression of their beliefs. We maintain close contact with Burmese
democratic leaders, in part to demonstrate publicly U.S. support for
democracy.

We hope that these and other efforts encourage the end of repression in
Burma. Thank you again for your letter.

Sincerely,
Sd. Alison HUnter
Public Affairs.