17/6/97: LETTER FROM AUS. DEPT OF F

Subject: 17/6/97: LETTER FROM AUS. DEPT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

/* Written 22 Jun 10:30pm 1997 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Letter from DFAT (17/6/97) "----------------- */

[ Following is the reply from Australian Foreign Affairs in regards to visa
ban on the military personnels from Burma. This response is rather
peculiar, to my perspective of this government, which remained to let
kept opening of entry visa for some Burmese military officers.

I wouldn't be surprise if this response is given by the previous Labour
government. The previous labour government approach to Asia in general and
Burma in particular was a rather proactive approach (this include some
political rhetoric about Australia's place in Asia too!). It has been such
a case, I used to ask previous government, quite frequently, to assist
mediation for Burma disputes, persuasion through ASEAN etc.

Present Coalition government, excluding the Foreign Minister and Trade
Minister (the Deputy Prime-Minister), do not make such public exposure
about its interest in Asian countries and its responses to events in this
region seems to be of merely reactionary. I, therefore, tend to assume that
the present government is not going to pursue active interest in the case
of Burma. In that case, the Australian Government may rather be happy to
stay away from Burmese politics and, therefore, a pro-isolationist stance
on Burma might better suit to this government (to my way of thinkings).
That doesn't appears to be exactly of the Minister Downers' thinkings. In
any case, we are to find out if he has any other plans. However, it is
clear that the SLORC already has left the international community with very
little choice of response. -- With Best Regards, U Ne Oo. ]
LETTER FROM DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND TRADE
CANBERRA ACT 0221

Dr. U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Rd
ST MARYS SA 5042

Dear Dr. U Ne Oo

Thank you for your letter of 20 May 1997 to the Minister for Foreign
Affairs concerning your request that the Australian Government bans the
entry into Australia of military personnel from Burma. Mr. Downer has asked
that I reply on his behalf.

While you have raised a number of concerns about the role of Burmese
military personnel in Australia, I have to advise that the Government has
decided against imposing visa bans on senior officials from Burma at this
stage. Screening procedures currently in place allow the Government to
consider the foreign policy implications of sensitive applications from
Burma, including those from military personnel, on a case-by-case basis. A
blanket visa restriction would restrict the Government's flexibility in
dealing with Burma. There may, for example, be occasions when a visit to
Australia by a senior Burmese official would be judged to be not only
appropriate, but useful from a foreign policy perspective.

Yours sincerely
Sd. Frank Milne
Assistant Secretary
Mainland Southeast Asia Branch.