INDIAN NEWS (r)

      PICKETING AT ASEAN OFFICE OVER ENTRY OF RANGOON

Jakarta,   June  5:   A  group  opf  student  activists  on
Thursdayu   picketed   the  secretariat   general   of  the
Association of South East Asian Nations here to protext the
organisation's   dicision  to  admit  Burma  as  a  member.

"Our  presence here is to remind Asean that its fundamental
characteristic  is as  a people  to people  institution and
not  an inter-governmental one,"  action coordinator Kuldip
Singh of the Pijar Indonesia student group said in front of
the building.

Asean foreign ministers last week, agreed to formally admit
Burma, along with Cambodia and Laos, as full memberrs at the
group's upcoming annual ministerial summit in Kuala Lumpur
in
July.

"By  accepting  Burma,   Asean  is  cliosing  its  eyes  to
repression  in Buirma,"  Mr Singh  said,  who  pickited the
Asean   office  along  with   six  other  Pijar  activists.

Mr Pijar,  he said,  deemed Asean's decision to admit Burma
into  its fold  as evidence  that the  group's decision was
motivated  solely  by  "the interests  of  the  ruylers and
economics." (AFP)

                                The Asian Age 6 June 1997
News  and Information  Bureau,  All  Burma Student Leagure.

************************( End )****************************

    |  A  B  S  L                         |
    |  All Burma Students League          |
    |  3, Krishna Menon Marg              |