ASEAN CONDEMNED FOR BURMA'S ADMISSI (r)

Subject: ASEAN CONDEMNED FOR BURMA'S ADMISSION

ALTSEAN-BURMA
A L T E R N A T I V E     A S E A N    N E T W O R K    O N     B U R M A
tel: 66 2 275 1811,  66 2 693 4515            fax: 66 2 693 4515
<altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>
c/o FORUM-ASIA  109 SUTHISARNWINICHAI RD  SAMSENNOK   HUAYKWANG   BANGKOK
10320   THAILAND

For Immediate Release: July 18, 1997
MEDIA RELEASE
ASEAN CONDEMNED FOR BURMA?S ADMISSION

KUALA LUMPUR: An alliance of Asean-based activists and political leaders
today slammed the regional grouping for proceeding with the admission of
Burma at the Ministerial Meeting scheduled to begin next week.

Democratic Action Party (DAP) Secretary-General Mr Lim Kit Siang,  Parti
Rakyat Malaysia (PRM) President Dr Syed Husin Ali, U Tin Maung Win of the
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB) and representatives of
ALTSEAN-BURMA (Alternative Asean Network on Burma) from Indonesia, Malaysia,
Philippines and Thailand spoke at a press conference to launch the book, "
>>From Consensus to Controversy - Asean?s Relationship with Burma?s Slorc".

The joint statement by ALTSEAN-BURMA said: "We view with deep regret Asean?s
disregard for the voice of its own peoples and the international community
by accepting an illegitimate ?government? into it?s ranks.  Burma?s State
Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc) has far less political legitimacy
than Cambodia?s Hun Sen.

"As a matter of urgency, we respectfully urge Asean to seek Slorc compliance
with its agreement to transfer power based upon the outcome of the 1990
elections, in which the National League for Democracy won overwhelmingly.

"We reiterate our call for tripartite dialogue, between the military junta,
the National League for Democracy, and ethnic nationalities.  It is a matter
of immense concern that Slorc has defied Asean requests for dialogue. We
respectfully urge Asean to increase determined and co-ordinated efforts to
ensure that their desire for dialogue is heeded by the Slorc.

"We are concerned with the inconsistency shown in the application of Asean
standards. If Asean is to be  credible, it must be consistent in the
application of standards for civilised behaviour ? Asean should look at
Burma as a nation of 48 million people who are suffering under a reign of
terror at the hands of a regime that Asean supports.

"We call for the end to the systematic murder, torture and imprisonment of
innocent civilians and political activists by the SLORC regime," the joint
statement emphasised.

Malaysian Opposition leader Mr Lim Kit Siang said: "Asean should learn from
the failure of the "constructive engagement" policy on Burma and craft a new
pro-active approach to protect Asean?s international credibility by helping
Burma embark on the road of democratic reforms and national reconciliation."

PRM President Dr Syed Husin Ali said: "Now that Burma has joined Asean,
progressive and freedom-loving people in this region have a greater and more
difficult task to struggle for democracy and human rights not only in Burma,
but also in all Asean states ? now, more than ever, the duty of the people,
political parties, people?s organisations and non-governmental organisations
has grown in urgency."
MORE

U Tin Maung Win, representing the NCUB, an umbrella organisation of elected
MPs, ethnic nationality groups and pro-democracy groups from Burma,
described Asean?s appeasement approach to the Burmese junta as a sign of
weakness: "Most people view Asean membership as Slorc?s licence to kill.
Slorc will become more arrogant and increase the killing, rape, torture,
drug production and widespread repression.  The people of Burma won?t buy
Asean?s excuses nor forgive this blow.  It is deeply disappointing that
Asean did not defer membership in order to facilitate a peaceful solution in
Burma."

Ms Puttannee Kangkun of the Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma
said: "Constructive engagement did not help the refugees or migrant workers
of Burma.  In these past years, the number of recognised refugees have
increased greatly to 140,000.  Migrant workers who have been escaping
extreme poverty and brutality in Burma now number about 700,000.  Asean
doesn?t seem to care about people, only about money."

Mr Fan Yew Teng of Burma Solidarity Group Malaysia described the Cambodia
crisis as Asean?s "bitter harvest". "Asean should have acted firmly when the
Slorc refused to honour the 1990 elections which saw the National League for
Democracy win by a landslide.  Its inaction on this issue sent the message
that coups and grabbing power by force was acceptable in this region. It is
no surprise that the Cambodian coup happened."

"From Consensus to Controversy" is a compilation of articles by political
leaders, academics, journalists and activists from Burma and Asean member
states.
ENDS

For more information, please call 016 322 6152 (++ 60 16 322 6152 if dialing
from outside Malaysia) or 010 217 8011, or email <altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>