The BurmaNet News, July 18, 1997

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: July 18, 1997
Issue #775

HEADLINES:
==========
SLORC: INFORMATION SHEETS A- 0065, A- 0064, A- 0063, A- 0062
REUTER: PRESIDENT MANDELA CONCERNED ABOUT SUU KYI
REUTER: BURMA CURRENCY TRADING RESUMES
THE NATION: BEHIND BURMA'S IRONY CURTAIN
THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS BRIEFS
ALTSEAN: ALTERNATIVE ASEAN BOOK LAUNCH IN KL

SLORC: INFORMATION SHEETS A- 0065, A- 0064, A- 0063, A- 0062

A- 0065(I)
18-7 - 97

(A) U Aung San U ( elder brother of  Mrs. Aris / Daw Suu Kyi ) and spouse
Daw Le Le Nwe Thein who are in Myanmar  to attend the 50th. Anniversary of
the Martyr?s Day donated cash towards the funds of Myanmar Nurses
Association on the morning of July 17th. in Yangon in memory of mother Daw
Khin Kyi. The donation  will  be used in the construction of Home for
Retired Nurses.

(B)             Direct shipping of massive construction materials from
abroad to coastal regions in Myanmar being made possible. Myanman Five Star
Line is shipping massive  construction  materials from abroad direct to
respective ports of coastal regions.

Altogether (55) of (110) buoys conveyed  by mv Chin Shwe Haw of MFSL from
Nanjing, the People?s Republic of China, were unloaded at Dawei Port in
Taninthayi Division on 4th. July and the remaining (55) at Sittway Port in
Rakhine State on 8th. July. They will be used in building bridges covered by
projects in Taninthayi Division and Rakhine State. Formerly, construction
materials were unloaded at Yangon Port from which they were sent to
respective coastal regions, causing large expenditures, delays and
difficulties in handling them. MFSL now uses 3,000 ton mv Chin Shwe Haw and
mv Mongla, built in China for the direct shipping.

A- 0064(I/L)
17-7 - 97

Today at 9 am Secretary (1) of the State Law and Order Restoration Council
Lt. General Khin Nyunt received U Aung Shwe ( Chairman of National League
for Democracy ),U Than Tun and U Hla Pe (Central Executive Committee
Members)  at No.(2) Defence Services Guest House.

The Chief Justice, Attorney General and the Minister for Home Affairs were
also present on the occasion.

Secretary (1) explained to U Aung Shwe in the meeting about the current
political and economic developments of the country as well as the
development projects going on in the country. Secretary (1) also gave
clarification about the foreign interferences in Myanmar?s internal affairs
and had cordial discussions afterwards, it is learnt.

A- 0063(I/L)
17-7 - 97

Statements and Comments from various national groups which have
returned back into the legal fold.

Since 1988 September when the State Law and Order Restoration Council
assumed the state power. This government has successfully managed to have
peace agreements with (15) armed ethnic groups. It is the first time in her
modern history that almost 95 % of all the insurgency have come to a stop.
Unfortunately a small group of ethnic insurgents which have based their view
on narrow racism still refuses to come to join the other national brethrens
to participate in the rebuilding of a new nation. More unfortunately, this
organization which calls itself the Kayin National Union (KNU) has now
openly resorted to terrorist activities with the financial support, material
assistance and terrorist training from western
countries.
                After the Secretary One's clarification on 27th. June 1997 on
? The acts of terrorism presented by illegal expatriate anti-government
organizations ? and also on ? How some western power have been aiding and
abetting terrorism committed by certain organizations operating under the
guise of Democracy and Human Rights by giving them assistance in both cash
and kind ?. All the armed groups which have come into the legal fold and are
currently participating in the nation building activities as well as the
strengthening of national unity have expressed their views and comments on
Mrs. Aris'(Daw Suu Kyi's political activities as such : -

1.      New Democratic Army - Kachin ( Kachin State Special Region -1 )
        ? We fully appreciate Secretary One's clarification. Terrorist
activities
are being systematically carried out with the support and assistance of
western countries which is of great danger to us. Daw Suu Kyi has been
exploited by the western countries including the United States and she has
put herself in a situation where she has got herself trapped. The mass
should be properly informed about the current situation and it is important
for the mass to participate in safeguarding the nation .?

2.      Kachin Independence Organization (Kachin State Special Region -2)
        ? Secretary One's clarification is very effective. Daw Suu Kyi made
a great mistake relying on outside countries. We immediately left Methawatta
once we realized it was a wrong movement and we will never again get
ourselves involved in such  activities in the future.?

3.      Myanmar National Democracy Alliance ( Northern Shan State Special
Region -1 , Lauk-Kai )
        ? The governments of US Australia and Thailand should cooperate and
find ways to arrest these terrorists. The explosives can be smuggled in from
Indian borders just as it did from Thai border. The people have gradually
come to realize the government's sincere intention and activities which make
instigation among the people and workers difficult. The people will
definitely inform the government to prevent terrorist activities from taking
place due to their understanding of the government's sincerity.?

4.      Myanmar National Democracy Alliance. Mong-Ko Defence Army
( Northern Shan State Special Region -1, Mong-Ko )
        ? It shocked us to learn that May 26 was targeted for creating
disturbances. The situation would be frightening if the explosives and
other related objects were not seized. Daw Suu Kyi should be punished
severely like they do in China for her activities to disrupt the development
of the economy, religion and social sector. ?

5.      Myanmar National Solidarity Party ( Wa ) ( Northern Shan State
Special Region -2 )
        ? We agree and support Secretary One's activities and guidelines. The
political events taking place can be more appreciated after following
Secretary One's clarification. We commend the government for being able to
expose the involvement and interference of Western Nations in Myanmar's
internal affairs. The NLD once came to us to win us over. We told them we
are not interested in their party politics and that we are only interested
in the development of economy and this present military government has
improved our living conditions and raised our living standards. We support
this government. ?

6.      Shan State Army ( Northern Shan State Special Region -3 )
        ? There are a lot of instances and evidence of outside countries
blatantly interfering in our internal affairs. We came back into the legal
fold because we place our trust and confidence in this present government.
We do not trust the NLD which is causing the destruction of our country and
more over we know the NLD can never keep the country united and stable as it
is now even when it is given the role to do so. ?

7.      Kachin Defence Army  ( Northern Shan State Special Region -5 )
        ? We have our areas much developed and upgraded since we had peace
agreement with the government. Because of the mutual understanding,
confidence and respect we have with the government. No political party can
drive a wedge in between us. We are much concerned about the peace
agreements being shattered if civil unrest take place and if this government
is replaced by another group. ?

8.      Pa-O National Organization  (Southern Shan State Special Region-6)
        ? According to the government's clarification it is obvious that our
nation is in grave danger. We fully support the government and time has now
come for all our national brethrens to unitedly repel the interference
coming from inside the country and outside as well. ?

9.    Palaung State Liberation Party (Northern Shan State Special Region -7)
        ? There is no denying of Daw Suu Kyi's and NLD's acceptance of
assistance and support from abroad. There are a lot of evidence which can
not be refuted and it is also a fact that the NLD is striving to gain the
state Power.  This press conference is not only a success for the government
but also a major political achievement and the NLD should be taken action
severely to the extent that the party itself should be de-registered. The
country made significant changes and developments since the military
government took over the state power. It is very obvious that the US does
not want Myanmar and China to have cordial relationship and it is trying to
harm this friendship. Daw Suu Kyi is a puppet dancing to the tune of the
western countries. If she comes into power our national unity will be
destroyed and we do not support her at all.?

10.     Shan State National People's Liberation Organization ( Pa-O )
        ? CIA could create misunderstanding and distrust among our national
brethrens. We should safeguard our national unity very carefully. ?

11.     National Democracy Alliance Army, Military Local Administration
Committee ( Shan/Akha ) ( Eastern Shan State Special Region-4 )
        ? We denounce foreign interference in Myanmar's affairs and do not
accept their involvement. We fully support Secretary One's clarification
held on the 27th. of June.?

12.     Kayinni National People's Liberation Front (Kayah State Special
Region -2 )
        ? NLD will exploit the situation whenever an opportunity arises. We
will join hands with the government to get rid of the destructionists.?

13.     New Mon State Party
        ? Secretary One's clarification of 27th. June serves as a reminder
to us. Foreign organizations and the Kayin National Union's (KNU's)
infiltration into our party is a possibility which we have to be very
careful and more united. The statement issued during the Methawatta
Declaration is something which is harmful to the national unity and can not
be accepted by any national  group. There is nothing to object in Secretary
One's clarification.?

14.     Kayinni National People's Liberation Front ( Kayah State Special
Region-2)
        ? We see Daw Suu Kyi as a person who is taking financial assistance
from the Western Bloc and is being manipulated by them. Kayin National Union
(KNU) and Kayinni National Progressive Party (KNPP) are also being supported
by CIA and these groups are traitors to the nation. KNPLF shall under the
guidance of the government, resist all external interference and influences.?

15.     Kayan New Land Party  ( Kayah State Special Region-3 )
        Daw Su Kyi most probably has received far more financial assistance
from the western countries than what is being exposed now. She is acting
according to the instructions from the West. We do not accept the western
interference. The Kayin National Union (KNU) and Kayinni National
Progressive Party (KNPP) are under the influence of the western countries
and CIA. These (2) groups are also given support from the West. ?

A- 0062					                 17-7 - 97

(A) On the 16th of July in Northern Shan State in LAUKKAI  a ceremony was
held to destroy the seized narcotic drugs. It is the 7th destruction of
seized narcotic drugs in Kokang area of the Northern Shan State. The
destruction included 783.13 kilos of opium, 64 blocks of heroin weighing
21.33 kilos, 15.26 kilos of morphine, 92 gallons of liquid opium, 45 gallons
of  opium oil, 4.47 kilos of opium precursor chemicals,  89 gallons of
ether, 553 kilos of other chemicals (powder), six liters of ammonium
chloride and paraphernalia. The  Kokang leader of the region U Phon Kya Shin
and nationalities leaders, narcotic drug control officials, police officers
and law officers from Yunnan Province of the People?s Republic of China
attended the ceremony together with  Myanmar Minister for  Religious Affairs
and  the Minister for the Progress of Border Areas and National Races and
Development Affairs.

(B) U Aung San U (elder brother of Mrs. Aris) and spouse donated cash to the
Dagon University Library on the 16th. of June while they were in Myanmar to
attend the 50th. Anniversary of the Martyrs Day. U Aung San U resides in the
United States and visit Myanmar occasionally, it is learnt.

REUTER: PRESIDENT MANDELA CONCERNED ABOUT SUU KYI
July 17, 1997
By Deborah Charles

BANGKOK, July 17 (Reuter) - South African President Nelson Mandela said on
Thursday he was concerned about fellow Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi
in Burma and called for dialogue to solve the political problems in Rangoon.

Mandela, who called the Burmese opposition leader very courageous, told a
news conference he had been discussing how best to try to find a solution to
the political standoff in Burma.

``(Suu Kyi's) position has been a matter of concern in almost every part of
the world,'' Mandela said.

Suu Kyi has often been referred to as the ``Mandela of Asia.'' The 1991
Nobel prizewinner was freed from six years of house arrest in July 1995.

But she told Reuters last week on the second anniversary of her release that
repression had increased since then.

Suu Kyi herself is closely monitored and members of her National League for
Democracy party have been arrested over the past year.

``I discussed the matter with one eminent leader in this region and put
forward that point (of her lack of freedom),'' Mandela said.

He said the Asian leader did not support a plan proposed by South Africa's
Archbishop Desmond Tutu to send a delegation of Nobel Peace laureates to
Burma to call for reform.

``As (he) said, as a result of the pressure that had been put on the
leadership, the government of Burma, they had become hardened in their
attitude and it would be better not to send a delegation but to send
somebody...and do it quickly,'' he said.

``It is easier to persuade people in private conversations... If we want a
quick result it is better to do so through dialogue,'' Mandela said, without
saying who might be sent or when talks would take place.

Since her release from house arrest, Suu Kyi has made repeated calls for
dialogue with the military government.

But leaders of the State Law and Order Restoration Council, which seized
power after crushing pro-democracy uprisings in 1989, have not responded.

Mandela was speaking at the end of a two-day visit to Bangkok where he was
trying to drum up investor interest in his country.

Thailand was the last stop on a three-nation tour that included Britain and
Indonesia.

Mandela, who turns 79 on Friday, received an honorary degree in the morning
from Chulalongkorn University.

REUTER: BURMA CURRENCY TRADING RESUMES AS TRADERS RELEASED
July 16, 1997

RANGOON, July 16 (Reuter) - Trading in the Burmese kyat resumed late on
Wednesday after the military government released some dealers from
questioning over the currency's recent fall.

The kyat, which has plummeted nearly 46 percent this month, firmed to 230
per dollar-denominated foreign exchange certificate (FEC) after a trading
interruption of nearly two days, dealers said.

On Monday, the last day of trade, it was quoted around 270 to the FEC.

Trading was brought to a halt when the State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC) picked up head traders late on Monday to question them about
the plunge, witnesses said.

Some illegal FEC and dollar traders were also detained, they said.

``They were just called in for questioning about the prevailing situation
and some have already been returned to their homes,'' a military official
told Reuters.

The FEC was introduced in February 1993 mainly so that foreign tourists
would not have to buy the currency at its overvalued official rate.

As of Monday, the kyat had plunged nearly 30 percent in a week and almost 46
percent since the beginning of the month. It was trading at around 270 to
the FEC late on Monday compared to 210-211 on July 9 and 185 in the last
week of June.

In the official exchange market, which is rarely used, the kyat was quoted
unmoved at around six to the dollar.

The sharp plunge in the kyat against the FEC was due to a lack of confidence
in the currency, the government's decision to open FEC-denominated letters
of credit and rumours of a possible change in the monetary system, local
analysts said.

A senior general denied the rumours.

``Unscrupulous persons are spreading rumours in Yangon (Rangoon) that the
monetary system will be changed after Myanmar (Burma) becomes an ASEAN
member,'' state-run newspapers quoted SLORC Secretary One,
Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt, as saying.

Burma is due to become a member of the Association of South East Asian
Nations (ASEAN) later this month.

Khin Nyunt said other false rumours included talk that FECs would be
withdrawn from circulation and that foreign exchange deposited in banks
would be seized by the government.

``The rumours about financial and economic matters...are utterly untrue and
have merely been concocted by destructionists,'' he was reported on
Wednesday as saying. ``Don't believe the rumours spread by the
destructionist elements.''

The government had implemented a new measure that caps the amount of FECs
that can be transferred abroad at $50,000, bank officials said on Wednesday.

Analysts said the measure should help stem the growing demand for FECs and
help stabilise the currency.

``One major drawback in our FEC system was allowing importers to transfer
money abroad by buying FECs with local currency,'' one analyst said.

The sharp drop in the kyat has caused prices to skyrocket over the past few
weeks. Some shopkeepers said they had stopped selling wholesale goods in
kyat because of the rapidly changing value.

``We don't want to change the price tags all the time to adjust with the
galloping rate,'' one store owner said. ``If they (locals) pay in FECs it is
all right.''

Since it became legal to exchange FECs for kyat, a growing number of
ordinary Burmese residents have been buying FECs as they lose faith in the
kyat, analysts said.

**********************************

THE NATION: BEHIND BURMA'S IRONY CURTAIN
July 13, 1997
Lisa Laing

Lisa Laing finds herself in a dilemma on a visit to Burma: should we
boycott the country in 'visit Myanmar year'? The Burmese people can't
decide either, and they've read Shakespeare.

"I have heard it generally said throughout the East Indies that the closer a
people lives to Burma the more lively and intelligent it is."

Simon De la Loubere, leader of a French mission which arrived in Siam in
the late 1600s during the region of King Narai of Ayutthaya.

Have you read Julius Caesar?" My 25-year-old Burmese guide is on a roll
again. I panic. Have I? I should have read it in high school. But did I?
"Sure" I say, "Shakespeare." He smiles, relieved. "Very good story. Brutus
is like the Slorc [State Law and Order Restoration Council]. When Brutus
betrays Julius Caesar it is ironic. To understand Burma you must
understand irony. Do you understand?" I nod. Like I did in high school.
And so begins my initiation into Burma behind the irony curtain of "Visit
Myanmar Year".

If you have conflicting feelings about visiting Burma you're not alone.
Many Burmese people aren't sure you should go either. They like having
you there but they're not necessarily opposed to the tourist boycott. When
asked about their opinion on US sanctions they're also likely to smile
mysteriously with a twinkle in their eyes and say "the government is not
too happy about it." If you meet the same guy I did in Mandalay he'll add,
"get my drift?"

Getting the drift in Burma is a challenge. Communication is a problem
since most people don't speak English and the people who do have to be
careful about what they say. Guide books aren't very helpful either.

The Myanmar Tourist office in Rangoon will only tell you where you're
allowed to go and how much it costs to fly there. Beyond Rangoon you're
on your own. So you swallow your traveller's pride and look for tour guides
wherever you go.

That's when the adventure begins. Licensed tour guides are the official
ambassadors of "Visit Myanmar Year" but if you think that means being
condemned to a dreary official tour of temples, government-run handicraft
shops and enthusiastic support for all the wonderful things the government
is doing for the country, you're in for a subversive surprise.

Burma's people are as lively and intelligent as they were in the 1600s. The
guides I had the pleasure of meeting were analytical, philosophical,
politically astute and not only understood irony, but were patient enough to
help me understand it too. If you're willing to take a mental-leap into the
unknown you'll be in awe of the way the Burmese negotiate the crazy
contradictions of their lives. You will see how the decisions of Burma's
whimsical rulers affect people in the most fundamental ways and you'll
begin to appreciate how insidious political repression can be.

Take the simple act of driving. The rules of the  road were laid down by the
British, long before Burma's independence and before Burma became
Myanmar. To throw off the yoke of colonialism, those rules had to be
changed.

The architects of the "Burmese Way to Socialism" came up with the perfect
compromise; use vehicles with steering wheels on the right, while also
making people drive on the right hand side. That way, the government
can't be accused of pandering to the Americans, who drive on the right
with the steering wheel on the left,-for remaining mired in the British
system of right-hand steering, while driving on left side. The resulting
system makes it difficult to avoid head-on collisions.

Since getting around is an intimidating prospect, the ideal solution is a
tour guide with his or her own wheels. One I met in Mandalay had driven
an American couple around the country for several months. They said he
had the heart of a racing driver. They were right. He negotiated hairpin
turns on treacherous mountain roads with the same casual fearlessness that
characterised his running commentary. "See those workers over there?" I
could barely see them in the distance.

"That's forced labour. They're from the prison, you can tell from their
white clothes. See that car? It's driving to the Chinese border where it will
be sold for a big profit. See that over there? That's a prison. Is that pagoda
in your guidebook? That's a school. It's closed. Schools have been closed
since December." He shifts gears. "Did you know that?" I nod. "After the
student demonstrations?" Another shift. We pass vendors with their
children selling mangoes by the roadside. He sighs. "There is nothing for
students to do right now." He has two daughters. Nobody knows when
schools will re-open. So where do you find the students? In the temples.

A medical student who was forced to return home when the universities
shut down in Rangoon is now one of many temporary monks at temples all
over the country. He speaks excellent English.

"You must remove your slippers," he said sternly when we first met, "this
is sacred ground." We were standing in the sun outside a temple. Labourers
were constructing a new temple building and all the monks were wearing
slip-on sandals.

Unlike Thailand, the temple grounds are just as sacred as the temples
themselves and pilgrims must respect that. Embarrassed, I removed my
offensive footwear and made a frantic run for a shaded bit of concrete.
Taking pity on my unenlightened feet, he showed me around the shady
parts and explained how the mental discipline required to understand
Buddhism kept him sane amid the chaos and uncertainty of life outside the
sacred ground. He smiled wryly. "Until I can go back to school I must
study so I don't lose my mind."

He introduced me to his teachers, the senior monks, and then we all
hopped into a kind of tuk tuk and toured the other temples and meditation
centres in the hills. "See that land? That used to be my family's orchard. It
belongs to the military now. They cut down all the trees." Trucks of
soldiers passed by. A stone wall followed us for miles, punctuated by holes
at regular intervals just big enough for canons to poke through. Just in
case. We passed through pine forests and eventually came upon a Buddhist
sanctuary. Hundreds of women wearing their finest longyis (Burmese
sarongs) fussed over young monks while just as many monks and generals
looked on. The medical student said they were the mothers and relatives of
some one hundred soldiers who had just been ordained. "Even soldiers are
Buddhists", he said, "they're like me, they want to make merit for their
mothers, they want their parents to be proud of them."

Another student keeps his mind sharp by talking to strangers in a town that
until very recently was closed to tourists without official visiting permits.
There is only one hotel that has a license to accept foreigners. The staff
don't speak English very well but when they figured-out I needed a guide
they introduced me to my Irony Teacher.

When I asked him how many tourists come to town he grinned widely, and
said, "Oh, many! Sometimes 13 a month! From all over the world
Singapore, Thailand, even China!"

He makes friends with tourists who try to send him books. Sometimes he
gets them, sometimes he doesn't. He reads everything: Medical
encyclopaedias, physics texts, geology books. He has read the great
philosophers, all the classic novels I keep meaning to read but probably
never will, and of course, Shakespeare. He wants me to send him English
translations of Japanese and Egyptian novelists and was disappointed when
I admitted I had never heard of the Canadian economist Herbert Casson.
"He's so famous!," he said, shaking his head in amazement.

When there aren't any tourists around, he likes to hang out at the market
and help with deliveries. That way he has access to newspapers. Goods
from Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia are often packed in newsprint. He
reads the ones in English. That's why he knows about super models. . After
tiring of a discussion about Albert Camus' mentor he shifted gears as
smoothly as my Mandalay guide and said, "I think Naomi Campbell is
more beautiful than Claudia Schiffer, what do you think?"

Burma is full of great minds. The tragic irony is that they aren't the ones
running the country. Even if you find guides who will steer you away from
the shops and hotels owned by the government or the drug barons, so that
your tourist dollars can go directly to the people you want so much to
support, the bottom line is you are still filling the coffers of a paranoid
regime just by being there. That's the dilemma.

The international tourist boycott against "Visit Myanmar Year" has been
successful. The hotels are empty. Some, like the luxury Trader's Hotel in
Rangoon, are closing down. The government, however, is not about to
admit defeat. People living on the riverside in Mandalay have been forcibly
relocated because the road there isn't wide enough yet to accommodate the
tour buses.

People are being shuffled all over the place in the name of tourism and
national reconciliation.

It's easier for the troubled tourist to either stay away, or go and give in to
the awesome beauty of the country and its generous people and ignore
politics. It's a holiday after all. Burmese people understand that and will
welcome you if you go and applaud you for staying away. They'll also take
you behind their irony curtain if you're interested.

My Mandalay guide thinks Burmese people go out of their way to welcome
tourists because most are Buddhist. "We Buddhists are all travellers after
all," he says, "we're just passing through this world from our last life into
our next one. That's why you find public water pots with metal cups
everywhere you go. Travellers get thirsty."

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS BRIEFS
[excerpts only]

July 6, 1997

OISCA, A & I MINISTRY OPEN AGRO-FORESTRY TRAINING
CENTRE

     YANGON, 5 July - The Agro-forestry Training Centre was opened
     under the joint sponsorship of the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation
     and Japan-based Organization for Industrial, Spiritual and Cultural
     Advancement (OISCA), a non-governmental organization, at
     Pakhangyi Village in Yesagyo Township, Pakokku District, Magway
     Division yesterday morning as a result of accomplishment in the dry
     zone development project in accord with the objectives for the
     development of agriculture, forestry and socio-economic sectors.

July 7, 1997

SECRETARY-1 RECEIVES AMBASSADOR OF PRC

     YANGON, 6 July - Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt the received Ambassador of the People's
     Republic of China Ms Chen Baoliu , who has completed her tour of
     duty, at Dagon Yeiktha of the Ministry of Defence this morning.

SECRETARY-1 RECEIVES AMBASSADOR OF BANGLADESH

     YANGON, 6 July Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt received Ambassador of the People's
     Republic of Bangladesh Mr. Chowdhury Khalequzzaman, who has
     completed his tour of duty, at Dagon Yeiktha of the Ministry of Defence
     this afternoon.

TV REPEATING SECRETARY 1'S CLARIFICATION TODAY

     YANGON, 6 July Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt clarified in the meeting hall of the, of
     Defence on 27 June 19 Western powers had been aiding and abetting
     terrorism committed by certain organizations operating in the guise
     of democracy and human rights by giving them assistance in cash and
     kind TV Myanmar will repeat its coverage at 5.45 p.m. on 7 July 1997,
     Monday.

July 8, 1997

GENERAL MAUNG AYE RECEIVES COMMANDANT OF
NATIONAL DEFENCE COLLEGE OF THAILAND

     YANGON, 7 July Vice-Chairman of the State Law and Order
     Restoration Council Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services
     Commander-in-Chief (Army)General Maung Aye received
     Commandant of National Defence College of Thailand Air Marshal
     Chanchai Chanchidchingchai and party at Zeyathiri Beikman at
     Konmyinttha at 3 p.m. today.
     Present together with General Maung Aye were Secretary-1 of the State
     Law and Order Restoration Council Chief of the Office of
     Strategic Studies and Director of Defence Services Intelligence
     Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, Secretary-2 of the State Law and Order-
     Restoration Council Chief of Bureau of Special Operations and Chief of
     Staff (Army) Lt-Gen Tin Oo, Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Vice-
     Admiral Tin Aye, Commander-in-Chief (Air) Lt-Gen Tin Ngwe, Chief
     of Armed Forces Training Maj-Gen Saw Lwin and Commander of
     Yangon Command Maj-Khin Maung Than.
     The guests were accompanied by Ambassador of Thailand Mr. Poksak
     Nilubol and Military Attache Col-Ongard Ratanawichai.

MINISTER FOR CULTURE RECEIVES AMBASSADOR OF ISRAEL

     YANGON, 7 July Minister for Culture U Aung San received
     Ambassador of Israel Mr. Gad Nathan at his office this afternoon.
     Present also were Deputy Minister for Culture U Soe Nyunt,
     Director-General of Fine Arts Department U Tin Htoo, Director-
     General of Department of Cultural Institute U Myint Thein Swe,
     Director-General of Department of Archaeology U Nyunt Han and
     officials.

MYANMAR, THAILAND AND LPDR HOLD THIRD MINISTERIAL
CONFERENCE ON COOPERATION IN DRUG ABUSE CONTROL

     YANGON, 7 July-The Myanmar-Thailand-Lao People's Democratic
     Republic Third Ministerial Conference on Cooperation in Drug Abuse
     Control was held in Luang Prabang, LPDR, on 4 and 5 July.
     It was attended by delegations of the three countries led by Chairman
     of the Central Committee for Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic
     Substances Minister for Home Affairs Lt-Gen Mya Thin, Minister at
     the Office of the Thai Prime Minister Mr. Werakorn Khumprakok and
     Minister of Foreign Affairs of LPDR Mr. Samsavat Leng Savad with
     representatives of UNDP, UNDCP and WHO in Laos and those of US,
     French, Russian Federation and Australian embassies as observers.
     High-ranking officials attended the first-day meeting on 4 July and
     the Ministerial Conference took place on 5 July.

     The ministers of the three nations issued a joint statement calling
     for cooperation in hill region development projects for eradicating
     opium poppy cultivation in border areas; strictly curbing illicit
     production and trafficking of precursor chemicals and materials which
     are vital for illicit production of narcotic drugs and psychotropic
     substances; exposing profits made from illicit production and
     trafficking of narcotic drugs and taking action against the
     wrongdoers; enacting laws and rules on drug abuse control in the
     sub-region by the respective nations; coordination among the law
     enforcement bodies and introducing procedures on drug abuse control
     measures including exchange of information to be able to cooperate
     practically in the border areas; cooperation in public education,
     providing medical treatment and rehabilitation to eradicate narcotic
     drugs abuse; and cooperation in exchanging study delegations and
     conducting courses and providing technical assistance.

     The conference requested the international community to provide
     financial and technical assistance to implement the joint programmes.
     It decided to hold the fourth ministerial conference in Thailand in
     1999.

MYANMAR DELEGATION ATTENDS ASEAN ENERGY MEETING

     YANÏON, 7 July Myanmar delegation led by Minister for Energy U
     Khin Maung Thein returned from Manila, the Philippines, by air today
     after attending the 15th ASEAN Ministers of Energy Meeting.

     Delegation members Director-General of Energy Planning Department
     U Soe Myint, Managing Director of Myama Oil and Gas Enterprise U
     Kyaw Nyein and Officer on Special Duty at the Ministry of Energy U
     Nyo Myint were also on the same flight.

July 9, 1997

SECRETARY-1 RECEIVES MEMBERS OF HOUSE OF
REPRESENTATIVES OF JAPAN

     YANGON, 8 July Secretary-1 of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt received nine members of House of
     Representatives of Japan led by Mr. Minoru Noda at Dagon Yeiktha of
     the Ministry of Defence, this evening.

AWB OPENS MINGALA MARKET BRANCH

     YANGON, 8 July Secretary-2 of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Lt-Gen Tin Oo attended the opening ceremony of the Asia
     Wealth Bank's Mingala Market Branch in Mingala Taungnyunt
     Township this morning.

MINISTER FOR RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS RECOUNTS SECRETARY-L'S
CLARIFICATION

     YANGON, 8 July-Member of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Minister for Religious Affairs Lt-Gen Myo Nyunt recounted
     clarification of Secretary- 1 of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt on how Western powers had been aiding
     and abetting terrorism committed by certain organizations operating in
     the guise of democracy and human rights by giving them assistance in
     both cash and kind, at the Religious Affairs Department on Kaba Aye
     Pagoda Road this afternoon.
     Minister Lt-Gen Myo Nyunt also said two motions were tabled at the
     mass meetings on implementation of community welfare services of the
     Union Solidarity and Development Association held at 16 towns in
     States and Divisions in May.
     Of the two, one denounces internal and external destructive acts and
     USDA members who attended the mass meetings have supported it
     unanimously, he said.
     He stressed the need for departmental personnel to cooperate in
     crushing the Instructionists and carrying on with the nation-building
     tasks.

DEPUTY PREMIER RECEIVES TOKIWA PRESIDENT

     YANGON, 8 July -Member of the State Law and Order Restoration
     Council Chairman of Myanmar Investment Commission Deputy Prime
     Minister Vice-Admiral Maung Maung Khin received President Mr.
     Naoyuki Soga of Tokiwa Corporation of Japan and party at his office
     today.

MYANMAR ENERGY DELEGATION ENHANCES COOPERATION
WITH ASEAN NATIONS

     YANGON, 8 July-The Myanmar Energy delegation led by Minister for
     Energy U Khin Maung Thein attended the Fifteenth ASEAN Ministers
     on Energy Meeting in Manila, the Philippines, as observers.
     In Bangkok on 4 July morning, in Myanmar Energy delegation led by
     Minister U Khin Maung Thein called on Prime Minister General
     Chavalit Yongchaiyudh at the Government Guest House. They cordially
     discussed cooperation in the energy sector. Also present were Minister
     at the Thai Prime Minister's Office Mr. Sompong Amornvivat and
     officials, Myanmar Ambassador U Hla Maung, Thai Ambassador to
     Myanmar Mr. Poksak Nilubol and members of the Myanmar Energy
     delegation.
     Next, a signing ceremony for the Memorandum of Understanding on
     the sale of electricity generated in Myanmar to Thailand was held at the
     Government Guest House.
     Members of the delegation also looked into fabrication of well
     platforms for the Yetagun Natural Gas Project. The minister heard
     progress reports on fabrication of the platforms and gave counsel.
     Minister U Khin Maung Thein and members of the delegation also held
     discussions in Singapore with organizations of Malaysia, Singapore
     and Japan which are undertaking tasks in cooperation with the
     Myanmar Ministry of Energy.

MYANMAR DELEGATION LEAVES FOR INDONESIA

     YANGON, 8 July A nine-member Myanmar delegation led by Minister
     for Livestock and Fisheries U Aung Thaung this morning left here for
     Indonesia to cooperate in fish and meat sector and to exchange
     technology and experience at the invitation of Minister of
     Agriculture Dr Sjar-lfudin Baharsjah.
     The delegation will also study livestock and breeding in Singapore.

ALTSEAN: ALTERNATIVE ASEAN BOOK LAUNCH IN KUALA LUMPUR
July 17, 1997

ALTSEAN-BURMA
A L T E R N A T I V E    A S E A N   N E T W O R K   O N   B U R M A
tel: 66 2 275 1811,  66 2 693 4515            fax: 66 2 693 4515
<altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>
c/o FORUM-ASIA  109 SUTHISARNWINICHAI RD  SAMSENNOK   HUAYKWANG   BANGKOK
10320   THAILAND

For immediate release: July 17 1997

MEDIA RELEASE:
ALTERNATIVE ASEAN BOOK LAUNCH IN KUALA LUMPUR

KUALA LUMPUR: A panel of speakers from member states and Burma will speak at
a press conference to launch the book "From Consensus to Controversy -
Asean's Relationship with Burma's Slorc" days before Burma is scheduled to
be formally admitted into Asean at its Summit in Kuala Lumpur.

The press conference will be held at the FOMCA office (8, SS1/22A, Petaling
Jaya) at 10 a.m. on Friday July 18.

The press conference will feature speakers from Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia,
Philippines, Singapore and Thailand, including contributors to the book.

"From Consensus to Controversy" is a compilation of articles by political
leaders, activists and academics from Asean and Burma, and is published by
ALTSEAN-BURMA (Alternative Asean Network on Burma).

The book will be sold for US$4.00 (Asia Pacific region only) and US$7.00
(Europe and North America).

ENDS

For more information, please contact:
(until July 27) Kuala Lumpur ++ 60 16 322 6152 or ++ 60 10 217 8011
(after July 27) Bangkok ++ 662 275 1811 or 693 4515
(anytime) Email: altsean@xxxxxxxxxx