Informarion Sheet A.0077(I)

                               Informarion Sheet
                               ********************

     A.0077(I) 					       28-7-97

Work Coordination Meeting Held by Work Committee for Women's Affairs

		On the 27th. of July in Yangon the Myanmar National Committee for Women's
Affairs held its Work Committee Meeting No. 2/97 at the Ministry of Social
Welfare, Relief and Resettlement. During the discussions the Myanmar
authorities concerned pointed out that tasks are being implemented for
development of Myanmar women based on significant aspects of Myanmar's
situation and all have to be mindful of the fact that the way Myanmar tackles
women's affairs is different from those of other countries.

		In the western countries women's and youth's affairs are carried out under
a lot of restrictions whereas Myanmar women enjoy equal rights granted to
them without discrimination and they always conduct themselves not because of
restrictions but basically because of their own cultured manner.

		Myanmar has also adopted several laws to safeguard the rights and
privileges of women and children and thus, good opportunities are opened to
all women and children. Myanmar people always uphold their cultural traits
and traditions which are related with their religion Theravada Buddhism and
teachings of Lord Buddha. Myanmar women must be nurtured to safeguard and
promote the race, language and religion and uphold culture and traditions so
as to prevent infiltration of the alien's culture and depravation of
character.
		Women's cultural development is the most crucial task of all organizations
and it is essential to carry out educative and organizational work all over
the country, especially in border regions, and uplift all women's health
education and social standard and promote their economy at grass root level
effectively.

***

Excerpts From Myanmar Foreign Minister's Opening Statement at the 30th ASEAN
Ministerial Meeting

		?---1997 has turned out to be an eventful year for many of us in Asia. In
the larger Asia-Pacific framework, we have witness the return of Hong Kong to
Chinese sovereignty. Now the legacy of Colonialism in Asia is truly a thing
of the past.?

		?---As a responsible member of the Association, Myanmar understands the
responsibility we have to shoulder as a part of the family, part of the team.
We appreciate the fact that our mutual cooperation and joint endeavors will
bring about prosperity for all in the ASEAN family. We are proud to be part
of this family, proud to be able to participate and contribute our effort.?

		?---We have reached nearer to the goal of elevating functional cooperation
to a higher plane by the formulation of ASEAN's vision 2020 for a partnership
in Dynamic Development.?

		?---We sincerely believe that ASEAN, and Myanmar, as a responsible member
of ASEAN, represents a sustainable and harmonious approach towards achieving
the peace, stability and well-being of the region. On our part we look
forward to increased participation and enhanced contribution to this process.

***

Myanmar Delegation Leaves for Indonesia

		A delegation from the Ministry for Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement
left Yangon on the 27th. of July by air for Indonesia. The team will attend
the Seminar for the Asia Pacific Region on the International/Regional Use of
Military and Civil Defence Assets for Disaster Relief Operations to be held
in Jakarta from 28 to 31 July.

***

Fukuoka-Bound Middle School Children Leave for Japan

		Eight school children from various middle schools of different States and
Divisions left Yangon yesterday for Japan to attend the Ninth Get-Together of
Children of Asia and Pacific Region in Fukuota. The children are being
accompanied by the Headmistress of No.2 State Middle School, Sittway of
Rakhine State, it is learnt.