News from India (r)

             "Nation can no longer be isolated"

Rangoon,  July 28: Burma became a member of the Association
of  South East Asian  Nations of its own  accord and can no
longer be isolated despite efforts by the West,  especially
the   United  States,   official   media  said  on  Monday,

"We  Myanmar (Burmese) are fully exercising our sovereignty
with  our won decision,  no  matter who is putting whatever
pressure  on  us,"  said  a  commentary  in  both state-run
Burmese-language newspapers.

The  commentary said Burma was isolated for several decades
of its own volition but had now decided to join Asean along
with its other Southeast Asian neighbors.

It  said  Burma was  not frightened  by Western  efforts to
isolate the country.

"One  can  neither frighten  Myanmar  (Burma) nor  turn her
head.  Never put pressure on Myanmar,  (Burma) which United
States  earlier this year imposed economic sanctions on for
human   rights  abuses  and  the  government's  failure  to
recognize   the  democracy  movement  led  by  Nobel  Peace
laureate Aung San Suu Kyi," a daily said.

Washington  and  many Western  nations  urged Asean  not to
accept Burma as a member,  saying acceptance was tantamount
to approval of the government's actions.

Burma  joined  the  regional grouping  last  week  in Kuala
Lumpur along with Laos.  "Never try to practice the "carrot
and  stick"policy of  the Western  countries toward Myanmar
(Burma),"  the commentary said adding,   "We are not overly
fond  of carrots and  we are patriotic  enough to break the
stick." (Reuter)

                               The Asian Age July 29, 1997.
   News  and Information Bureau,  All Burma Students League

************************( End )****************************

    |  A  B  S  L                         |
    |  All Burma Students League          |
    |  3, Krishna Menon Marg              |