MYANMAR MONITOR (Aug 1, 1997)

               MYANMAR MONITOR (Aug  1, 1997)

(The purpose of this publication is to provide a broad and balanced view of
the Union of Myanmar)

" WE CANNOT STAY ISOLTED"

	" We cannot stay isolated. We have, in fact, stayed nearly 25 years in
relative isolation. What was the result? We were left economically and
socially behind, " said Minister for Foreign Affairs U Ohn Gaw in a July 29
CNN interview in Yangon.
	The Foreign Minister's first extended interview since Myanmar's recent entry
into ASEAN on July 23, revealed a deep insight into the development and
progress currently underway in Myanmar society today.
	"From a greater exposure in ASEAN, we'll experience how to successfully
establish a prosperous economic system in the country, " said Foreign
Minister U Ohn Gaw. "With  such a foundation, we can continue to develop our
domestic stability. These are our immediate objectives."
	Minister U Ohn Gaw also emphasized the institutional nature of the Myanmar
Armed Forces, noting in particular how it differs from western conceptions of
other such military bodies. "In response to allegations of a repressive
regime--well , that is very simple, " said Minister U Ohn Gaw. " The Armed
Forces have been the singular, disciplined institution since even before our
independence decades ago. It has  been, and serves as a national unifier of
our cultural minorities, races and other groups. And furthermore, once
domestic stability is completely institutionalized, the Armed Forces have
full intention to hand power of the State over to a properly established an
organized group under the aegis of our constitution."
	" Foreign Minister U Ohn Gaw concluded his interview by stressing Myanmar's
commitment to transitioning to a full democracy. "For example, Suu Kyi was
largely promoted by outside democratic forces. I can say irretrievably, that
with or without Ms. Suu Kyi , Myanmar is committed to a democratic
transition."
	" Certainly, some observers have linked democracy in Myanmar solely to the
personage of Suu Kyi, yet that is not an accurate assessment. We are
committed to building the institutions of a civil society and a full- fledged
democracy, Such institutions, I am certain you agree, are dependent upon
domestic and economic social stability. To reiterate, those are the sole
goals of Myanmar."

A SEAN VOICES SUPPORT FOR MYANMAR

	Foreign Minister and other  ASEAN leaders came out in support of the newest
member of the ASEAN community, while severely criticizing US condemnation of
Myanmar.
	" We feel that the dialogue with Myanmar over the past few days has been
quite cordial and fruitful, " said Phillppine Foreign Secretary Domimgo
Siazon at the close of the ASEAN Ministerial conference, " despite the rather
high - decibel in which some statements have been made by the West."
	Siazon emphasized the contradictory stance the West maintains to wards
Myanmar in contrast to Western relationships with countries such as Cuba.
"Cuba, for example, has been under economic sanctions forever, if seems. Yet
look at the trading relationships it has with Europe, Canada and other
countries. Myanmar's potential for developing its natural resources are far
more than those of Cuba."
	Siazon also criticized Western insislence upon calling Myanmar by its
colonial name of Burma. " When you ask for change and co-operation with a
country, and then call that country by another name-- you find yourself
talking to a wall, " Siazon said, recalling US Secretary of State Albright's
insistence upon calling Myanmar by its colonial reference, Burma.
	Australian Foreign Minister agreed with Siazon on the West's policy of
proposed sanctions against Myanmar, noting. " The Australian government has
argued for quite some time that we didn't regard sanctions as being very
effective."

NEWS UPDATES

	Armed Groups Trade Arms for Peace- 41 various members of insurgent and
dissident military factions recently laid down their arms during June, In
response to changes being implemented by the State Law and Order Restoration
council.
	European Trade Delegation - An Austrian trade delegation arrived in Yangon
on July 25, led by the Austrian regional director of a multi-national
co-operation.
	Myanmar Children Participate in Educational Exchange - Eight Myanmar
students and a chaperon left Yangon for Fukuoka, Japan on July 25. The
children will participate in the Ninth Get - Together of Middle School
Students From Asia Pacific form July 26 through August 6.
	Myanmar Social Welfare Delegation leaves for Indonesia - A team of social
welfare professionals from Myanmar left for Jakata , Indoesia to attend a
seminar on Disaster Relief Operations for Asia-Pacific countries which will
be hold form July 20 to 31.

NOTABLE QUOTES

	" Eight of the most powerful nations have decided that they, and alone,
should determine the fate of every country." - Malaysian Prime Minister
Mahathir Mohammed.

	" The U.S has very little popular domestic support for the official goals in
the developing world. this isn't surprising since it is only trying to impose
structures of domination and exploitation. " U.S author Noam Chomsky.

	" Looking at Myanmar specifically, why is it that it almost always as though
western governments seem to be making a special target out of the current
government. This is totally disproportionate to what it going on there- new
buildings, more jobs, etc.-especially in its recent behavior and achievements
to date. "-- U.S writer Michael Dobbs Higginsoh , and former chairman of
Merrill Lynch Asia-Pacific.

*********