Undivided Family Nest Remains Intac

Subject: Undivided Family Nest Remains Intact

Undivided Family Nest Remains Intact

	We made our way to the International Business Centre on the evening of the
25th of July, 1997, as a ceremony to honour a renowned artist was to be held
there.

	The impressive sight of the I.B.C, standing tall above the tree line,
fringing the Inya  Lake, came into view at a point between the Kamayut
intersection and the Inya Road junctions, as we proceeded along Pyay Road. It
is always a breath taking spectacle to view this magnificent piece of
architectural achievement, especially in the golden tint of twilight.

	The occasion was to honour U Han Tin, the famous sculptor who had produced
the carvings on teak stumps that are on display at the I.B.C. The first
sculpture is titled "An idyllic Habitat" and depicts a scene of wildlife in a
serene natural setting, highlighting the necessity to preserve nature and its
natural habitats. In order words, it is meant to develop and appreciation and
awareness of the environment in all who view it.

	The other sculpture displays a bird's nest at its centre, with newly hatched
hornbill chicks being cared for by there proud parents. Being life-size, the
scene looks all so real. The hornbill is the national bird of the Chin
people, one of the major races dwelling in northwestern Myanmar. The legend
of the selfless royalty of the hornbill birds its well known, in therefore
the scene without doubt depicts the firmly sealed family ties of our peoples.
The caption of "Undivided Family Nest Remains Intact" its apt for it
signifies the unity of all our indigenous races living in harmony within our
home land, for better.

	Myanmar having become a full fledged member of ASEAN, the hornbill's nest
could be viewed in a broader  context; for Myanmar is no longer isolated but
has entered the fold of the ASEAN community. ASEAN countries being birds of a
feather will be able to stand together to weather all economics or political
storms, as a family united with nest unimpaired.

	In his address at the honour award presentation ceremony, U Han Tin
expressed his gratitude to all those who rendered invaluable assistance to
make his accomplishment possible; he thanked the Minister of Forestry
especially for having a good understanding art, thereby permitting him to
create his sculptures freely without set preconditions and for having
arranged  to display the sculpture at the I.B.C also thanked the Historical
Advisor to the Government of Myanmar Doctor Khin Maung Nyunt, for his advice.

	The Ministry of Forestry on his part pledged that U Han Tin's hornbill bird
nest sculpture would be donated to be displayed as an emblem of unity at the
ASEAN museum in the event that such a museum is established in Myanmar.

	Sculpture U Han Tin surely deserves our recognition and praise on his wisdom
and vision, in bringing about this work of art, which will be appreciated
through the years as truly an artistic achievement.

*********

to view with photos, pls browse at:
http://www.myanmar.com/others/nest.html