Statement of the Karen Youth Organi

Subject: Statement of the Karen Youth Organizations on Karen National     Martyrs' Day

Statement of the Karen Youth Organizations on Karen National Martyrs'Day
( August 12, 1997 )

August the 12th, 1997, marks the 47th anniversary of Karen National
Martyrs' Day. Exactly on this day in 1950, our national leaders -
Saw Ba U Gyi, Saw San Kay and colleagues - bravely sacrificed their
lives while struggling for the liberation of our Karen people.

While on their way to an important meeting, on August 12, 1950,
Saw Ba U Gyi and his other nine colleagues were surrounded near
Hto Kaw Koe village and brutally murdered by the enemy.  With  love
for peace and their desire for freedom for their people, they showed
their steadfast commitment to free their people from injustice.

They have died, but the principles that they laid down for us will
live forever. The struggle will continues until the Karen people are
able to decide their own political destiny. Therefore, on this solemn
occasion, we Karen Youth Organizations around the world not only pay
our highest tributes to their selfless efforts and sacrifice, but
unitedly vow to carry on the unfinished struggle for our people till
the victory is gained.

Today,we the members of the Karen Youth Organizations around the world
salute those who died for the sake of the entire Karen people. At the
same time, we urge all the nations of the world to join hands with us
by calling/faxing the military regime in Burma or its embassies around
the world with the following demands :

* To stop all military offensives against the ethnic nationalities.

* To respect the rights of all the ethnic nationalities.

* To implement everlasting peace and prosperity.

Karen Youth Organization   (  Australia  )
Karen Youth Organization   (  Canada  )
Karen Youth Organization   (  France  )
Karen Youth Organization   (  India  )
Karen Youth Organization   (  Japan  )
Karen Youth Organization   (  Kaw Thoo Lei  )
Karen Youth Organization   (  United States Of America  )