*** Some details omitted or replaced by 'XXXX' for Internet distribution.
***

__
                                   #15.
NAME:    "Naw Hsah Lwe"     SEX: F    AGE: 30       Karen Christian farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 2 children aged 1 and 4
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Dta Greh township            INTERVIEWED: 7/97

["Naw Hsah Lwe" describes the looting of her village by a column of
SLORC and DKBA.]

Q:  When the Burmese entered your village what did they do?
A:  They entered the village, they came into the houses, they searched
through everything in our houses and took it.  They took my medicine,
over
100 tablets, and some clothes, and chickens, chillies, rice, tinned
sardines,
my torchlight, a radio, and 2 packs of candles.  While they searched
through
everything in my house they said to us, "You people are trying to set up
bomb".  They gave me nothing, except 100 Kyats [33 cents US at current
exchange rate] for the radio.  It was someone else's radio which had been
left at my house.  I hid in my house and didn't dare go out because I was
afraid Ko Per Baw would see me, so I didn't see what they did at other
people's houses.  They never listen to you no matter what you tell them,
they
just take everything they want.  They took 4 of my mother's goats, and 2
from another woman.  They ate 5 of my chickens.  And they pulled down
one house.  This was the first time they've come here.
__
                                   #16.
NAME:    "Naw Lah Htoo"     SEX: F     AGE: 24        Karen Animist farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 1 child aged 4, 2 other children already died
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Dta Greh township              INTERVIEWED: 15/7/97

["Naw Lah Htoo" had her house and her entire village looted in early July
by a routine SLORC patrol.]

Q:  What did the Burmese take from you when they entered the village?
A:  They took one basket of dogfruit and one tin of rice, 2 packets of
Ajinomoto [commercial MSG seasoning] and one machete.  They wouldn't
listen to me and they grabbed me, they pushed me and punched me.  They
opened my box [wooden box where people keep their best clothing and
belongings] and searched through everything.  People said these soldiers
come from Po Three Kyo.  Ko Per Baw came together with them.  I didn't
dare go out and look at them, I just stayed in my house.
__
                                   #17.
NAME:    "Thra Ler Muh"     SEX: M   AGE: about 30     Karen Animist
teacher
FAMILY:  Single
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Pa'an District                  INTERVIEWED:
15/7/97

["Thra Ler Muh" talks about the education situation in the area,
particularly the problems faced by villagers who try to set up their own
school because SLORC never provides one.]

Q:  How is your work?
A:  Padoh xxxx [a KNU official] asked me to reorganise the school because
they dared not enter the village anymore.  Places such as K--- and K---
they
also can't enter, so he asked me to go back, try to collect all the
[students']
names, give them chalk and open the school, then send him the list.  I
went
back, but I couldn't open the school because people [meaning SLORC and
DKBA] wouldn't allow it to open.  Later [after the start of school in
early
June] I asked people there, "Did the school at T--- already open?"
People
told me it had opened but only for 2 weeks - then the Ko Per Baw asked
for
100,000 Kyats, so the school had to close.  I don't know why they asked
for
the money.

I have been teaching for 4 years.  We have over 50 students - some of
them
come from xxxx [a nearby village].  We wanted to open our school, if M---
[village] could open their school then we were going to open our school
as
well.  The high school at Ker Ghaw, the schools at Toh Aw, Pah Klu, all
the
lower places [in the plains], we just waited to see if they would open,
and if
they couldn't open then we couldn't either.  Now I think it won't be easy
open the school this year.  If they [SLORC and DKBA] allow us then we can
open it, otherwise we cannot.  Last year we opened it and they asked,
"Whose school is this?"  We said it's the villagers' own school, it's not
a Kaw
Thoo Lei [KNU] school, not a Buddhist school, not a Burmese school, just
our own village school.  But whenever the Army came we had to close the
school.  And if they saw us outside the village, they made problems.
Once
they arrested one of my teacher friends and he had to be their porter for
over
a week.  His name is Saw H---.  We were teaching together when the column
of soldiers came, so we closed the school and went to the monastery.  We
had no time to run, so we  let all the children go home, it was just the
two of
us.  Then the Burmese arrested him and made him a porter.  They also
arrested me, but the monk came and told them, "This man has to look after
the monastery", so they let me free.  That was last year in rainy season
[mid-
1996].

Q:  Didn't they know that your friend was a teacher?
A:  No, no one dared to tell them, even he himself dared not tell them.
He
said that he was a villager who works on his farm.  All are afraid of the
Burmese.  If they know you're a teacher, they will ask many questions,
like
"Where did you go to school?" and things like that.  [Any teacher
suspected
of having been educated in KNU territory would be arrested.]  If we kept
the school open when they came I'm not sure what they would do, but the
old men in the village don't dare face this problem so we also don't dare
face
it.  We can't tell what they will do, so we have to think of our own
safety.

Q:  Why don't you go and ask permission to open your school?
A:  No, I dare not.  If the old men in the village ask I don't know what
they
will say.  We just wait to see what the old men will do.  [Note: this may
sound cowardly, but young men like "Thra Ler Muh" are always suspected
of being rebels by SLORC, and run a very high risk of arrest and torture
every time they deal face to face with SLORC authorities.]  We have no
way
of knowing what they [SLORC] are thinking, we only know that they are the
Burmese and that whatever they choose to do to us we simply have to face
it.
Even if we are teachers or headmen, if they see us away from our place
they
will take us and keep us for no reason.  We are Karen, and we have to
think
and know about these things.  If they enter the village and they see
anyone
running, they shoot them dead.  If you don't run, they make you a porter
for
2 or 3 days.  So everyone runs away as soon as we hear they are coming.

One old man named Saw B---, the Ko Per Baw came and asked his wife
where he was and she said he wasn't at home.  Then the Ko Per Baw went
and searched through the house and found him, so they hurt his wife, they
showed her a knife and said to her, "The old man is here but you said
he's
not.  I'll cut your throat", and the woman's eyes turned white [i.e. she
almost
fainted from fear].  The Ko Per Baw are all captains, they don't have any
leaders in their organisation. Any one of them can kill people.   They
always
eat our animals, people can't stop them, and they demand porters.
Yesterday
people had to carry their rice for them, and this morning more people had
go to be porters.  If they ask for seven porters we have to send seven,
if five
we have to send five.  We have to hire porters [to go in their place] for
2,000 Kyats each for 5 days.  If they ask for 5 porters and we only send
4,
then they say, "I asked for 5 porters but you sent only 4, so if I come I
will
arrest people, and furthermore you will have to give money before I
release
the porters already here".  They say, "We asked only seven people but you
didn't send them, so I don't want these porters, I'll come and arrest
some
myself."  So whatever they demand, we have to fulfil it.  If they come
they
will destroy things.  Last time they went to L--- village they demanded 2
tins
of paddy from each house, and then they made the people grind it for
them.
Ah-ah, so many problems, even if we try to run we can't run!  It's like
coughing and coughing but nothing ever comes out [i.e. no matter what you
try to do it never helps].
__
                                   #18.
NAME:    "Mugha Lwee Paw"    SEX: F    AGE: 49       Karen Buddhist farmer
FAMILY:  Widow, 4 children
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Myawaddy township             INTERVIEWED: 4/7/97

["Mugha Lwee Paw" had to flee her village after being arrested and
tortured by DKBA.  Her testimony shows how the village structure breaks
down when the lack of any rule of law causes people to make false
accusations over personal grudges.]

Q:  When did they arrest you?
A:  They arrested me at my village because they had ordered me to go to
L---
post [and she hadn't gone].  I didn't know anything.  It was [DKBA]
Battalion #XXX.  Their battalion commander is Bo XXXX and the second-
in-command is XXXX.  They said that I joined with the Karen [resistance]
but I never did that.  They accused me and asked me, "Do their soldiers
come to your house in the middle of the night?"  I answered that I never
see
them, and they asked, "How many times have you sent rice to their
soldiers?"
I told them I'd never done that.  He said people told him they'd seen me
talking to Bo K--- [a KNLA officer] in my garden. I've never seen him, I
answered.  I've never spoken with him, people just said that to the Ko
Per
Baw.

They beat me with a bamboo branch that still had the husks on it.  They
hit
me one time and my skin was split, and my youngest child cried until she
fainted, and my son looked at me and he was also crying and afraid.  They
beat me because they said I had stolen some cattle.  I am a woman, why
would I have to steal cattle?  Even a chicken, I would never steal.

That was the first time they arrested me, in March.  They kept me for 2
days.
It was T--- who beat me.  The second time it was T--- and Bo H--- who
arrested me, and they kept me for 8 days in April.  They called me to go
them, and then they tied me all over my body, they tied up my neck,
around
my chest, and my legs.  I couldn't stand and I couldn't sit - they tied
me up
like a ball.  They kept me tied like that for one and a half days.  I
couldn't
stay like that.  The knots were not very tight, so I told Bo H--- I
couldn't
stay the way he had tied me anymore and then I untied my own hands and
the
rest of my body.  I told them, "I won't run.  If I run, shoot me dead and
keep
shooting until my body falls to pieces.  If I had done anything wrong I
wouldn't even have dared come here.  I only came because I know nothing."

In the afternoon they took me back to Thra K---'s place and we slept
there.
They tied one of my hands again.  I told them not to tie me, I said "I
will
follow you wherever you go.  I would die rather than run."  But every
time
we were near people's houses they tied me again - they tied my hands very
tightly, and they tied my neck and my whole body.  I said to T---, "Why
do
you tie me like this?  I won't run, untie me please".  Then he said to
me, "I
am not a leader.  We have leaders and we have to do this by order, so I
cannot untie you now."  I told him "No problem", and I untied my foot.  I
was thinking, "If you want to kill me just kill me, but I will untie
myself".
Then I couldn't sleep, so I untied my whole body again.  Their porter
told me
not to untie myself like that, he said "If people see it won't be good".
But I
told him I couldn't stay like that, and then I untied everything.  I
stayed at
their side, and I told them to sleep close to me because I was afraid.
My
child had stayed behind, and I worried about whether it could eat or not
because it is very small.  Then in the morning they tied one of my hands
and
some villagers from K--- arrived.  They  talked to each other and said
"This
woman knows nothing, don't beat and torture her."  After that Bo H---
didn't
do anything to me, even though I know he'd wanted to torture me at first.
said to him, "Don't torture me, I know nothing", and I tried to stay
close to
T---.  But then T--- said, "I'll send you to N--- post and you'll stay
with
Bo H---."  So I got angry and told myself, "If you will go back, then go.
If I die I will die."  But then Bo H--- didn't do anything, he said not to
worry because he knew people had falsely accused me.  He took me to Bo
XXXX
who asked me more questions, but then he said "This woman knows nothing.
Three people have come and accused her, but she knows nothing."

The first time they arrested me alone, but the second time they also
arrested
my relatives P--- and L--- [both men].  P--- is 40 years old and L--- is
over
30.  They beat P--- one time, but not L---.  They said that Bo XXXX's
father-in-law died because these two had joined with the Karen soldiers
come and kill him.  Bo XXXX told me he would kill 5 people to repay this
one life.  Then they demanded money for the death [when they realised
that
none of the three had anything to do with it].  At N--- village they
demanded
100,000 Kyats, and P--- and L--- had to give 50,000 Kyats, altogether
150,000 Kyats.  No one helped us.  They arrested us for no reason, and
they
released us with nothing.  When they released me they told me not to go
anywhere, not even to search for food, just to stay in the house.

Then I stayed in my village, but one of the Ko Per Baw told me, "If you
can
go anywhere then you'd better go away".  Then Bo H--- told me, "People
still
accuse you, so you'd better go away.  You know who is accusing you, so if
you come back later you can do what you can do [i.e. get revenge]".  But
told him I would never do anything to anyone.  I dared not stay anymore,
so I
went to N--- with my child.  I saw my brother in his field planting
paddy, and
he asked me where I was going.  I told him I couldn't dare stay, that
people
will keep accusing me until I'm killed.  I told him wherever I go they
arrest
me.  He asked me to stay there a few days so I stayed and helped him in
his
field.  I was still afraid and always watching out because Ko Per Baw
come
to that village as well.  People there told me the situation there was
not good
either, so I left and came here.  Along the way I nearly met the Ko Per
Baw.
If I meet them again I will die.  I don't dare go back to my village.  I
used
to work my fields, but now I can't dare do anything.  In many places they
[DKBA] are burning all the field huts and straw, because they say this is
where the Karen soldiers hide and sleep.  Along the way here, I saw that
they
had burned all the villagers' field huts as well as their coconut trees.

With Ko Per Baw, if we can give them money things are a little bit
better, but
if not then things aren't easy for us.  They do whatever they want to the
villagers.  As long as their own families stay happily, they don't care
about
the villagers.  For them the most important thing is to get money.  They
don't
care if the information people give them is true or not, they just arrest
everyone.  The man who was killed [Bo XXXX's father-in-law] was U
XXXX, he was about 50, from XXXX village close to the Burmese post.
The villagers have had to face many problems since his death [retaliation
by
DKBA].  He was very cruel to the villagers, so earlier this year the
Karen
soldiers came and shot him dead and got a rifle and a pistol from him.
DKBA gave him permission to have these 2 guns and put him in charge of
some work for them.  He was in charge of trading logs, and he was a DKBA
spy.  He stayed in the village, did whatever he wanted and helped the
DKBA,
like if they wanted to trade logs in secret, capture your cattle, do you
want
to drink wine?  All these things he did for them.  Whenever he knew any
information he would go straight away and ask for money.  People would
shake when they heard U XXXX's voice.  For example, if some villagers
didn't have enough rice, they would sell one cow to get money to buy
rice.
Then if he heard about it he would come and take all the money, saying
that
the villagers are illegally trading.  If I planned to buy a bullock to
work in
my field and he heard about it, he would come and take all my money and
say
that I was illegally trading.  They arrest all the traders, take their
money
and divide it among themselves.  Then if their shares are not equal they
fight
each other.  No one is free to sell anything.  We have to ask their
permission
and give money for a pass before we can do anything.  If we build a
cattle hut
here near the village, there's not enough room for the cattle, but if we
build
it farther away then they demand money and punish us because they say
we're
in contact with Kaw Thoo Lei.

So now Bo XXXX is arresting villagers and saying, "My father-in-law is
dead,
he is only one, but even if I kill 5 of you for it I will not be
satisfied".
Now U XXXX's wife is staying at XXXX, and whatever she says people
have to do.  She is the same as her husband was.  Her name is XXXX, she
is
in her forties.
__
                                   #19.
NAME:    "Saw Shwe Htoo"    SEX: M     AGE: 48       Karen Buddhist farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 2 children
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Pa'an District                INTERVIEWED: 17/7/97

[When interviewed "Saw Shwe Htoo" was still suffering from a broken rib
and a fever.]

Q:  Where did  the DKBA arrest you?
A:  At T--- village, last month.  A woman had died in T--- village so I
went
there with 4 friends.  In the afternoon they came into the village and
asked
one of the women, "Did you see our 2 or 3 friends come through here?"
She
answered that we didn't know, and then they said to us, "Why didn't you
see
them?"  They were drunk, and they arrested us, beat us and tied us up at
T---
for one day.  They tied my feet, my hands and my neck [i.e. they tied him
up
in a ball].  Then they took us to N--- and demanded 22,500 Kyats from us.

Then they asked me, "Do you dare go back to your village?"  I answered,
"Why wouldn't I dare go there?"  They told me to follow them to my
village,
and I followed them there.  Then they beat me over 10 times in my chest
and
ribs.  They beat me and said, "You used to be headman and Karen soldiers
came to your house".  I said it wasn't true, but they said, "I saw you,
you had
contact with Karen soldiers."  They beat two of us, myself and a villager
from N---.  The other villager was in his thirties.  The soldiers were
all Ko
Per Baw, there were 17 of them.  They used to be villagers but now they
are
Ko Per Baw.  I knew 2 of them, C--- and L---.
__
                                   #20.
NAME:    "Saw Bo Gyi"       SEX: M     AGE: 38       Karen Buddhist farmer
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Pa'an District                INTERVIEWED: 8/7/97

["Saw Bo Gyi" was arrested and beaten by SLORC troops.]

Q:  When did the SLORC arrest you?
A:  They arrested me on June 16th at N--- and took me to A---.  I was at
N--
- for a wedding, and one person accused me before them, because they knew
I used to help collect money for the Karen [KNLA].  I was never cruel to
villagers, but the soldiers all held guns and so did I.  The Karen asked
for my
help and I used to help them a lot.

They kept me for one day.  They told me not to work for the Karen and not
to follow the headman.  I told them that if they didn't believe I'm just
villager they should go and see the headman.  Then they punched me in the
face.  They were from #XX Battalion.  There were many of them who beat
me.  They arrested two of us and tied up our whole bodies, they even tied
our necks.  The Burmese soldiers told their officer that I'd tried to
take his
gun.  How could I take his gun from him, when they are many and I am only
one?  They punched me in the face.  I tried to cover my face with my
hands
but they wouldn't allow me to do that, they told me, "Let us punch you,
just
stay still".  A lot of blood was pouring out of my nose.   Then they made
me
go with them to T---, and when we arrived at the L--- main road they
tortured me again, they tied me and tortured me a lot.  When we arrived
at P-
-- they didn't torture me anymore because then we were near their
captain,
but by then I couldn't even move anymore because I had no more strength.

Now I have scars on my face, here on my hand, and the skin on my back was
split.  They beat me on my back with a gun.  The wounds still aren't
better
because they beat me many times.  I've tried to treat myself but it's
still not
better.  My wife tried to treat me with special oil [combined with spirit
worship] to heal me and I've also taken a lot of injections, so it has
cost me
a lot.
__
                                   #21.
NAME:    "Pati Kyaw Than"   SEX: M   AGE: 37   Karen Christian
farmer/cowboy
FAMILY:  Married, 3 children
ADDRESS: xxxx village, Myawaddy township       INTERVIEWED: 28/6/97

["Pati Kyaw Than" talks about villagers being forced to buy DKBA
calendars and other general abuses in his area.]

Q:  How many years has DKBA been distributing their calendar?
A:  Two years already.  If they send 20 calendars to our village then we
have
to buy them all.  We can't stay there if we don't buy them.  If we buy
one and
keep it in our house there will be fewer problems for us.  As far as I
know the
order came from Myaing Gyi Ngu [DKBA headquarters] to sell these
calendars.  Then Maung Chit Thu [a DKBA officer] came and gave the
order for how many calendars had to be sold in each village and township.

Last year we had to buy them for about 250 Kyats, and this year 280 Kyats
[a high price compared to other calendars].  Maung Chit Thu said
everyone has to buy one, that no one can stay without buying the
calendar.
So some villagers think it must be better to have one in your house than
not
to have one.  But when the SLORC comes, if they don't see anyone in your
house they burn it down anyway, and it doesn't do any good to have a
calendar in your house.  They are honourless people.  One Christian woman
hung a DKBA calendar in her house.  A DKBA soldier who knew her saw it
so he asked, "Are you a Buddhist or a Christian?"  She answered that she
is a
Buddhist, and he laughed at her.

Q:  How many  new members do the DKBA try to recruit from each village?
A:  It depends on the number of houses in the village.  Generally they
ask for
2 or 3 people from each village, but if the village is especially big or
small
they ask for as many as they think they can get.  In the past they asked
for 4
or 5 villagers each year from each village tract, but now they ask for
over 10
people.  They know how the Kaw Thoo Lei [KNLA] used to do it, so they
do it the same way.  Maung Chit Thu tries to organise it.  When Kaw Thoo
Lei asked for soldiers they always said "over 17 years of age", they
didn't
want very young people.  But now many people say that the DKBA don't
care about the age, and that very young children like 15, 16, and 13
years old
are with them.  For each recruit the village can't send they ask for over
10,000 Kyats, so each village tract has to give over 100,000 Kyats.  That
is
only for one year.  Sometimes they don't need men, they only need money.
In May [after already demanding recruits once], Toh Thu Kee village was
ordered to send money again to lower officers like Bo Kya, but that time
think those officers were just taking it for themselves.

I think myself that some of that money they give to SLORC but most of it
they use themselves, because in May, Pa Klay [a DKBA officer] went to Day
Law Pya and Meh Pleh Wah Kee and told the village heads, "Ask for the
money now because we need it.  Later we'll pay it back when it's time for
you
to give the money for this year's DKBA members."  [In other words, DKBA
has financial problems supporting its own soldiers and has to get
'advances' on extortion money from villagers.]  For example with a DKBA
soldier, if we were friendly with each other back when he was Kaw Thoo
Lei
and the situation was better, now he will ask, "Friend, lend me 10,000
Kyats
because I need it for my family".  You don't have much but you dare not
tell
him that, so you have to give it to him.  Or he asks for 1 or 2 tins of
dogfruit for his family so the villagers have to collect it and give it to
you so you can give it to him.  They don't know how hard they make it for
the villagers.

Q:  What does the SLORC do in the village?
A:  For example, if they want to clear the area then they ask for DKBA to
go
with them, but the SLORC enter the village before the DKBA, take all the
villagers' belongings and eat everything.  They come in the house and one
jumps to take your Ajinomoto, another one jumps to take your chillies...
No
one can stop them.  One woman from Day Law Pya told me that when they
came to her house some stayed in the house while some others killed a
7-viss
[11-kilo] pig under her house without any noise.  When they come on April
2nd they asked for people's rice because they said their rations were
gone.
There were 2 or 3 DKBA together with their [SLORC] group.

Q:  Do the SLORC ask for porters?
A:  Two or three porters who escaped told us that the first group they
were
with made them carry very heavy things, and the soldiers put their own
[personal kit] bags on top of the porters' loads and they had to carry
those
too.  The SLORC soldiers give their rations to the porters to eat, and
for
themselves they demanded good food from the villagers.  The rations they
bring for themselves are not good so they don't eat them.  If they enter
village they kill, cut, cook and eat the chickens all night long, so by
morning
there are none left.  If they go to a hut where a woman is staying they
demand one chicken, so the woman gives it quickly hoping they'll soon be
gone.  But then 2 or 3 more come and ask again and again.  In the daytime
they demand it, at night they just steal it.

Before, when SLORC had a post in our village and Kaw Thoo Lei was
attacking them, the SLORC tried to make pressure on the villagers.  If
one of
their soldiers died or one gun was lost the villagers had to give money
for the
gun or the dead person.  If Kaw Thoo Lei put a bomb [mine] near the
village
or on the road and one of their soldiers was wounded, they made problems
for the villagers.  Now it is still like that, with DKBA also.  If we
can't
give them security then we have to give them our lives.

                              - [END OF REPORT] -