The BurmaNet News, September 1, 199

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: September 1, 1997
Issue #810

HEADLINES:
==========
THE NATION: VOID APPEARS BETWEEN MALAYSIA AND UK
KNPP: HUMAN RIGHTS & BATTLE NEWS 29/8/97
KNU: SURVEY OF SITUATION IN MUTRAW DISTRICT
JOURNAL OF COMMERCE: BUSINESSES BATTLE SANCTIONS
BKK POST: ETHNIC THAIS IN BURMA TO BE GIVEN CITIZENSHIP
BKK POST: BURMESE LET THAIS SEARCH FOR COPTER
BKK POST: THE SLOW RESPONSE TO SPEED PROBLEMS
BKK POST: KANCHANABURI CHAMBER CALLS FOR END
SLORC: INFORMATION SHEET NO. A. 0107(I)- 0109
NLM: MINISTER EXPLAINS $50,000 LIMIT ON REMITTANCE
THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS IN BRIEF

THE NATION: VOID APPEARS BETWEEN MALAYSIA AND UK ON HUMAN RIGHTS
August 29, 1997

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Britain and Malaysia held talks yesterday and
emerged with wide differences on human rights and Burma.

The talks were held between visiting British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook
and Malaysian Foreign Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and other officials.

Speaking jointly to reporters after their talks at the Foreign Ministry here
Cook reiterated the strong commitment by the new Labour government to
support human rights around the world, including in Burma.

Cook said, "We are committed to promoting freedom and human rights," and
added as for Burma, "We are very concerned about the violation of democracy
and freedom there."

While Cook backed the European Union's stand for strong action to bring
human rights and democracy to Burma, Abdullah reiterated the Malaysian and
the Association of Southeast Asian Nations' (Asean) stand for "constructive
engagement, which we think is the best way".

Cook accused the military junta ruling Burma of "not doing anything" to stop
the drug trade in Burma" and added, "This is a criminal act."

Asean admitted Burma as a member two months ago although the European Union
and the United States had hoped Asean would keep Burma out until its human
rights and democracy record improved.

While the United States and some European Union members do not want a review
of the Human Rights Convention, Malaysia has been campaigning for a review
at various forums.

Abdullah said, "Malaysia and Asean agree there must be human rights and
freedom ... But we feel there must also be political stability and security."

In previous statements Abdullah has explained that human rights and freedom
could not be imposed to an extent where it hinders economic development,
peace, stability and security.

Malaysia and some other Asean countries have internal security laws under
which people can be arrested and held without trial indefinitely and they
have refused to repeal these laws despite repeated appeals by opposition
parties. The governments say they are necessary to maintain peace and
security and ensure economic progress.

Asked if Burma, as a member of Asean, would be allowed to attend the
Asean-European Union talks next year, Cook said so far there had been no
decision "and it will be decided by consensus" among the European Union members.

Abdullah said, "We are against linking any assistance and economic
cooperation with human rights."

Malaysian government officials said in the proposed review they want this
clearly stated.

[excerpts from related article]
------------------------------------

BKK POST: COOK URGES EXPANSION OF MILITARY TIES
August 31, 1997 [abridged]
Manila, AFP

British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook yesterday called for expanded military
ties with the Philippines and promised to crack the whip on
trans-continental sex tours preying on Filipino women and children.

Burma's admission into Asean last month which was vigorously opposed by
Britain and other western countries because of the Rangoon junta's human
rights record was also discussed, officials said.

Cook said that despite Burma's membership in Asean, it was unlikely that it
will be allowed to attend the Asia-Europe Meeting (Asem) in London next
year. Asem links Asean as well as China, India and South Korea, with the
European Union.

He said acceptance of new Asem members are reached through a consensus,
adding: "I do not wish to hold out the prospect that there will be a
consensus agreement for Burma to be present."

KNPP: HUMAN RIGHTS & BATTLE NEWS 29/8/97
August 29, 1997

THE GOVERNMENT OF KARENNI
MINISTRY OF PUBLIC RELATIONS AND INFORMATION

SITUATION REPORTS

HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATION COMMITTED BY SLORC
IN NO. (2) DISTRICT, KARENNI

On 25 August 1997, Slorc troops of LIB 261 under the command of Lt. Col Khin
Mg Htay burnt down 25 houses including the church of Hu Muu Ka Lah village.

On 26 August 1997, Slorc troops of LIB 102 under the command of Major Win
Htwe burnt down the church of Kwa Kee village and 54 houses of Htee Sar Beh
Htee village.

On 27 August 1997, the Slorc troops of LIB 261 burnt down 28 houses of Bwe
Lay Kho village including the church. On the same day Saw Jelley, 23-y-old,
of Kho Baw Deh village was killed by Captain Min Ko Oo of Battalion No.
(531) of Slorc while he went to Mawchi town to buy salt and fish paste.  Saw
Jelley was stopped and searched while he was on his way to Mawchi. The
Captain accused him of being Karenni intelligence after finding 10,500 Kyats
(Burmese Currency) on him, and then shot him dead. This incidence reached
the Commander of the Unit who covered the truth and explained to the public
that Saw Jelley was killed because he was trying to escape while he was
being questioned.

Battle News in No. (2) District area

On 26 August 1997 at 0830 hrs, one Slorc soldier of LIB 102 stepped on a
Karenni land mine near the cemetery of Kwa Kee villlage and one of his legs
was blasted off. On the same day at 0930 hrs, the Karenni Army again
attacked the Slorc troops near the cemetery. The Slorc troops suffered one
wounded. On the same day at 1100 hrs, the Karenni Army again attacked the
Slorc troops of LIB 102 under the command of Major Win Htwe, while the SLORC
troops were burning the church of Kwa Kee village.  4 Slorc soldiers were
wounded in the attack.

On 27 August 1997 at 0550 hrs, the Karenni Army attacked Slorc troops of LIB
423 under the command of Major Naing Thein near Daw Tha Shi  village. 2
Slorc soldiers were wounded in the attack. On the same day at 0650 hrs, the
Karenni Army ambushed the Slorc troops of LIB 423. Casualty was not
available. On the same day at 0705 hrs, the Karenni Army again attacked the
same troops of LIB 423 of Slorc near Daw Tha Shi villlage. The Slorc troops
suffered one dead and one wounded. On the same day at 0820 hrs, the Karenni
Army attacked Slorc troops of LIB 426 under the command of Win Soe, second
in command of the Unit, near Sho Ka Hseh village. The Slorc troops suffered
one dead and one wounded. On the same day at 0835 hrs, the Karenni Army
attacked Slorc troops of LIB 102 that were taking position in Kwa Kee
village. The Slorc troops suffered 2 wounded. On the same day at 1000 hrs,
one Slorc soldier of LIB 531 stepped on a Karenni land mine and one of his
legs was blasted off.

KNU: SURVEY OF SITUATION IN MUTRAW DISTRICT
September 1, 1997

[This information from the KNU has been edited by BurmaNet]

The SLORC has been intensifying its atrocities against the Karen people,
especially in hilly regions where there news collectors have little access.
Where journalists are barred, the worst SLORC troops atrocities against the
Karen people occur. This survey is confined to a specific area about 100
square miles, but many other areas have suffered a similar fate.
The data was collected by a local responsible personnel. The areas where
SLORC committed all these atrocities lay within the junction of three
townships of Mutraw (Luthaw, Butho, and Dweh Lo).

>From March to June, 90 villages were burned down by SLORC troops in Mutraw
District.  19 villages in Mutraw District have also been forced to relocate.
>From March to May the murder of 36 villagers was documented in the area.
The villagers' only 'crime' was being Karen.

Following is a summary of materials taken by the SLORC from March to May:

Item					Number/Value
1. Burmese currency			261,100 kyats
2. Thai currency				6,800 baht
3. Paddy					8,988 baskets
4. Buffaloes				58
5. Pots					91
6. Houses (burnt down)			65
7. Shirts					42
8. Golden Rings				5
9. Golden Earrings			9
10. Silver coins				72
11. Blankets				68
12. Goats (killed)				14
13. Hoes					5
14. Plates				149
15. Knives 				48
16. Chicken				33
17. Spoons				98
18. Pigs					1
19. Lady costumes			55
20. Men costumes			66
21. Lady Longyis				72
22. Sewing Machines			3
23. Rice 				29 tins
24. Silver ingots				4
25. Gongs				3
26. Silver Lime bottle 			9
27. Silver Head belts (for ladies)		3
28. Silver waist belt			1
29. Silver bracelets			2
30. Hand saw				3
31. Longyis				37

JOURNAL OF COMMERCE: BUSINESSES BATTLE STATE SANCTIONS
August 28, 1997
John Maggs

Corporate leaders to file constitutional challenge

Move is in response to a flurry of state and city trade curbs that the
group says usurps presidential authority.

WASHINGTON -- A group of big U.S. businesses is planning to file a
constitutional challenge to a recent flood of state and local economic
sanctions, despairing of the Clinton administration stepping in to halt
such actions.

Massachusetts, New York City, Berkeley, Calif., and 27 counties and cities
have adopted sanctions that bar government purchases from companies that do
business in Burma, China and Nigeria.

California, Texas, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Connecticut and
Rhode Island are considering such sanctions on an even broader assortment of
countries.

While the United States has varying levels of economic sanctions on some of
these nations, in all cases the state and local actions go beyond actual
trade and investment with these countries to impose a "secondary boycott"
on businesses that choose to trade with these regimes.

President Clinton has signed laws recently that impose such secondary
boycotts on companies doing business in three countries -- Cuba, Iran and
Libya. Nevertheless, because such boycotts are widely seen as illegitimate
by the United States' top trading partners, these laws have been enforced
very reluctantly, and so far have had a negligible commercial impact.

In this case, senior Clinton administration officials privately criticize
sanctions, such as those imposed by Massachusetts on companies doing
business with Burma, as an unconstitutional usurpation of federal powers.

Yet the administration itself will not challenge the sanctions out of fear
of angering local political interests.

At the same time, U.S. trade officials are trying to convince Massachusetts
to amend its law to avoid a showdown in the World Trade Organization, which
prohibits local economic sanctions.

The constitutional case is being put together by lawyers hired by USA
Engage, a coalition of 634 big businesses that have mounted a campaign
against the use of unilateral trade sanctions of any kind.

It is not clear now whether the case will be financed by the full coalition
or a group of the businesses.

Meanwhile, a top Clinton administration official sympathetic to the case
has been meeting regularly with USA Engage officials.

Undersecretary of State Stuart Eizenstat asked representatives of the group
to delay the lawsuit until after a debate in Congress this fall on granting
President Clinton special trade negotiating authority.

The lawsuit will probably force the administration to take sides for or
against local governments, and Mr. Eizenstat told the businessmen he's
worried this possible conflict could become an issue in the uphill fight
for negotiating authority.

Peacemaker role

Representatives of the business group made no commitment about the timing of
its lawsuit, but said it will probably not be ready for filing until
after the October congressional recess.

Yet many congressional aides and business lobbyists expect the debate over
new trade authority to drag on into the spring, especially in the Senate,
which was not actively considered the topic for several years.

As an undersecretary at the Commerce Department, Mr. Eizenstat took the
role of peacemaker with the European Union, working to defuse a
confrontation over U.S. sanctions on European companies that do business
with Cuba.

More recently, he has sought to smooth relations with Switzerland, which
faces a number of local sanctions efforts in the United States over its
handling of claims that Swiss banks hid many millions of dollars in
deposits from victims of the Nazi Holocaust.

Sanctions counterproductive

In congressional testimony, Mr. Eizenstat said, "Efforts by state and local
officials around the United States . . . to impose various economic
sanctions are inappropriate and counterproductive . . . They will
complicate (the federal government's) ability to develop a healing and
reconciliation process, hurt U.S. as well as Swiss economic interests, and
increase strains in U.S.-Swiss relations."

The constitutional challenge by the business group is expected to turn on
three arguments.

Three arguments

First, the companies will argue that the state and local sanctions would
change U.S. foreign policy, which the constitution says can only be
conducted by the president.

The lawyers have collected ample evidence that the sanctions imposed or
proposed so far have already affected U.S. foreign policy, triggering a
fight with the EU in the WTO, and threatening relations with Switzerland.

In three cases, state courts have in the past judged whether state and
local sanctions related to South Africa abrogated federal foreign
policy-making, and have struck down the sanctions in two of the three.

Federal pre-emption

The second argument is federal pre-emption: that the state actions,
specifically the Massachusetts sanctions, pre-empt a federal action -- a
partial embargo on Burma that was recently strengthened by President Clinton.

The Constitution and subsequent Supreme Court decisions have prohibited such
pre-emption. The businesses will argue that Mr. Clinton could have imposed a
secondary boycott, but chose not to, and thus the Massachusetts action
pre-empts his decision.

Third, the lawyers will argue that the state and local actions would usurp
the federal government's responsibility for regulating foreign commerce.

Just like a tariff, the Massachusetts law and others have the effect of
restricting and even halting commerce with a particular company.

BKK POST: 5,736 ETHNIC THAIS IN BURMA TO BE GIVEN CITIZENSHIP
August 30, 1997
Nussara Sawatsawang

As many as 5,736 displaced Burmese nationals of Thai origin will be granted
citizenship by the end of next year as part of a bid to reintegrate ethnic
Thais, government officials said yesterday.

The move is largely aimed at ethnic Thais who were lost to Burma along with
pockets of land as a result of an "unfair" Anglo-Thai treaty in 1868. At the
time Burma was under British rule, which covered the entire 2,400-kilometre
Thai-Burmese border from Chiang Rai to Ranong, added the officials.

Descendants of Thais who had been taken to Burma as slaves following
Thai-Burmese wars more than two centuries ago will also be considered.

The citizenship move, which received cabinet approval about two months ago,
is open to Burmese of Thai origin who sought refuge along the Thai-Burmese
border before March 9, 1976, officials emphasised.

The estimated 20,000 ethnic Burmese who fled to Thailand in the decade
following the 1962 coup by strongman Ne Win do not qualify, they pointed out.

Neither do the Burmese students and asylum seekers who fled to Thailand
after the State Law and Order Restoration Council came to power in Rangoon
in 1988.

For starters, about 1,396 Burmese citizens of Thai origin living in Ranong
will receive Thai citizenship next month. The rest live in Tak, Prachuab
Khiri Khan, and Chumphon provinces. "This is part of Thailand's policy of
assimilation. We are getting our people back and they do not threaten our
national security," a Foreign Ministry official said.

The cabinet decision allows for Thai citizenship to be granted to a total of
7,849 people believed to belong to this group, officials said. But a survey
conducted in August saw only 5,735 people apply for the provision.

Applicants will have to prove their Thai origin, and have had at least 20
years of residency in Thailand.

They will also have to look Thai, speak and understand the Thai language,
revere the monarchy, and observe Thai customs, said an Interior Ministry
official.

BKK POST: BURMESE LET THAIS SEARCH FOR COPTER
August 31, 1997

Burma has allowed Thailand to send men and equipment to search for an army
helicopter believed to have disappeared inside its territory on Thursday.

The Jet Ranger chopper carrying a pilot and four passengers vanished in
heavy rainstorm in an area straddling Phop Phra and Umphang districts of Tak.

Rescue operations could only begin yesterday after being disrupted by the
bad weather.

It was highly possible that the helicopter was in an area in Burma opposite
Ban Ruam Thai Pattana, south of Phop Phra district, said Chatchapat
Yaem-ngarmriab, commander of the Fourth Infantry Regiment Task Force.

Col Chatchapat could not confirm whether the helicopter had crashed or
managed to land safely. He also could not confirm a report that it had made
a safe emergency landing in Tee Ka Plor in Burma.

BKK POST: THE SLOW RESPONSE TO SPEED PROBLEMS
August 29, 1997 [abridged]

Organised methamphetamine manufacture and smuggling is now so prevalent
along the northern Thai-Burma frontier that police have no chance of
stopping it. In Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai, fully 50 percent of police
and their time is spent trying to intercepting Burma-made amphetamines. Pol
Col Panurat Meepien, Chiang Rai's police superintendent, admits the efforts
of his men are futile. Even if police managed to halt the influx, the drugs
are openly and freely available on the Burmese side of the Mai Sai River.

The Office of Narcotics Control Board has taken the controversial and
desperate step of calling in the military. A special task force has been set
up using troops of the Third Army Region to gather intelligence on ya maa
traffickers. The troops also will be available for interception operations
if needed. Civilian control has been maintained by placing the task force
under the Northern Narcotics Control Centre.

A report by the largest US drug task force last week said international
methamphetamine trafficking has become, in one year, the greatest new drug
threat. As in Thailand, methamphetamine has already replaced heroin and
cocaine as the abused drug of choice in many parts of America. The Drug
Enforcement Administration is putting more agents and resources into the
task of dismantling speed traffickers. Our own authorities can do no less.

BKK POST: KANCHANABURI CHAMBER CALLS FOR END TO 'SENSELESS' PROTESTS
August 29, 1997 [abridged]
Boonsong Kositchotethana

Environmentalists told to place needs of country first

The Kanchanaburi Chamber of Commerce yesterday issued an open letter urging
opponents of the Thai-Burma gas pipeline project to stop their "senseless"
protests,

In his four-page letter, Kamthorn Lorwongngarm, vice-president and secretary
of the chamber, appealed to environmental activists to cease their protests
for the sake of the progress in the country.

Opponents of the project have criticised a six-kilometre stretch of the line
which will go through the pristine forest in Tong Pha Phum, Kanchanaburi,
near the Thai-Burmese border.

Mr Kamthorn said the country needed Burmese gas for its development.

"If we had to sacrifice 100 to 200 rai of land for pipeline laying and we
can get the energy needed for building up our nation, then that should be
acceptable," he said.

************************************

SLORC: INFORMATION SHEET NO. A. 0107(I)- 0109
excerpts only

SLORC: INFORMATION SHEET NO. A. 0107(I)
August 29, 1997

(1)     Yadana Offshore Natural Gas Project

The project to sell natural gas from Yadana Natural Gas Project to Thailand
covers two main sectors-production and transportation. The production sector
includes Rig 1 and Rig 2 set up at Yadana Offshore Block. It is selected to
produce natural gas from one vertical well and six horizontal wells from
each rig. Relevant Authorities started spud-in at the first well of Rig 2.
August 28th spud-in marked the beginning of operation at the first rig to
drill down to 4,700 feet. The 36-inch pipeline has been laid 40 miles inland
to send natural gas from Yadana Project to Thailand. It is to be laid 216
miles offshore and has been laid 10 miles at sl1allow-sea area in March this
year. Laying of the remaining part by SEMAC-1 is scheduled for completion
within three months.

(2)     Heroin, Raw Opium Seized in Mandalay, Nawgnhkio
 (3)     First Myanmar IT Exhibition
 (4) Bwetgyi Bridge on West Yoma Beltway Railroad Completed

OFFICE CALLS IN YANGON ON 28 AUGUST

(A) Minister for Transport Lt. Gen. Thein Win received Deputy Chief
Executive Officer Mr. David SS Chin of Singapore Trade Development Board of
Singapore and party at his office. The Singaporean  delegation also
discussed With senior officials of the ministry and marine advisers on the
transport sector at the ministry.
(B) Minister for National Planning and Economic Development Brig.Gen. Abel
received Chairman Mr. Maris Samaram of SGV-NaThalang & Co Ltd, a
Thailand-based firm at his office.
------------------------

SLORC: INFORMATION SHEET NO. A-0108 (I/L)
August 30, 1997

The Free Press Journal (New Dehli) 12 August 1997

"No Political Prisoners in Myanmar"

        As the India government is currently negotiating with the Naga
rebels to shun violence and join the national main stream, the Myanmar
government has reaffirmed its stand that it will not allow Indian militants
to operate from its soil. However, the Myanmar government finds it difficult
to guard its vast inaccessible terrains and 1,490 km long mountainous border
with India, which has become a hot-bed for dozens of North-East militant
out-fits who have been waging a proxy war against India since 60s.
        The inclusion of Myanmar into the ASEAN trade bloc last week has
annoyed the western countries. The State Law and Order Restoration Council
(SLORC) government welcoming the ASEAN decision has admitted for the first
time that it will now move forward towards achieving the real democracy.
        On the eve of the 9th anniversary of the people's uprising in Burma
on August 8, 1988 the Myanmar Ambassador to India, Win, in an interview with
The Free Press Journal Correspondent A.B Mahapatra, told that his country
will never bow down to western pressure at any cost.

        Q:      You may be aware that the Indian government is trying hard
to bring all the Naga militants for peace talks without any precondition. It
is alleged that Naga rebels have set up their bases across the border and
often take shelter in the Myanmar side at the time of any Indian Army
operations against them. What is your stand on the situation in the North-East?

        A:      We never supported Naga rebels. We have reaffirmed our stand
that the soil of Myanmar will not be allowed to use as a base for any
anti-India activities. The Myanmar government considers India an Important
neighbour and being a sincere neighbour we want to maintain cordial
relationship with India. After all Nagas have been waging war against India
since a long time. Moreover, violence has its own limitations to achieve any
goal. The Indo-Myanmar border is covered with densely forest areas and
hilly-terrains which is humanly impossible to guard all the time. Rebels are
exploiting our disadvantage. Yet we carry out operations to prevent them
entering Myanmar border. We have never supported anti-India elements for any
reason. Even if it is for humanitarian ground or whatsoever assumed value
(in a lighter vein).

        Q:      Since 1993 both India and Myanmar are cooperating in
combating the drug trafficking along the border. Similarly, has the Indian
government ever approached Myanmar to counter the insurgency in N-E region?
Or showed its concern about Naga rebels' operations to the Myanmar government.

        A:      The Indian government has never sought out cooperation in
the context of Naga problems. But they did in a wider perspective in the
form of insurgency in the North-eastern region bordering Myanmar.

        Q:      India has got nearly half-a-dozen immediate neighbours and
the Prime Minister I.K Gujral has advocated friendly relations with all the
neighbours. That is known as "Gujral doctrine". You may be aware that your
country has no where figured in the "Gujral doctrine". Why Myanmar is left
out of the "Gujral doctrine". Do you think that India attach less importance
to Myanmar?

        A:      Please ask your government. It is India's own affair. I
cannot comment.

        Q:      During the Myanmar's inclusion into ASEAN meeting last week,
the US and western countries have strongly opposed the ASEAN move and raised
their concern over military rule and human rights violation in Myanmar. How
do you welcome the development?

        A:      The issue of human rights is a very vast topic, very
confusing and debatable. The western countries have their own way to assess,
based on their own values, what human rights are all about. They are very
much biased against Asians. They have exploited the whole of Asia and now
they are trying to impose their values on Asians without understanding the
feelings of common people in Asia. We have achieved tremendous progress
within a short period, ensuring the basic rights and minimum needs of
Myanmar people.

        Q:      Now you have got the ASEAN membership. But the democracy and
human rights issues have over-shadowed the Myanmar's triumph, as the ASEAN
and its dialogue partners argued that politics and economics are intertwined
in any decision making process. What is your position on the issue. Don't
you think it will imperil bilateral relations if political issues are raised
in an economic fora?

        A:      The dialogue partners, particularly the US and the European
Community should understand whether it is a right place and right time to
raise such issues. But it is a wise move on the part of ASEAN members who
have set aside these objections and has given priority to admission of
Myanmar. But I do not think this will lead to any misunderstanding among
members. This is the age where we resort to sorting out things without any
conflict.

        Q:      Don't you think that there is justification to the US and
West claims. After all what can be the apparent motive behind it other than
problems faced by Myanmar people?

        A:      Human rights and democracy are the latest USA "mantras" to
subjugate any Asian country. Therefore, Myanmar is not an exception. Even in
case of India, they use "child labour," "bonded labour" and human rights
issues to curb its  exports to their countries. In early 19th century,
England had child labour problems and Charles Dickens earned world wide
popularity on the subject. It seems, the US and West are still interested in
neo-colonialism.

        Q:      The US and the West have set conditions that Myanmar should
free political prisoners and hold election for popular government in which
the SLORC should invite Aung San Suu Kyi for talks, How do you react?

        A:      The demand of the US is, surprisingly, identical to the
demands made by National League for Democracy party and the dissidents
abroad. I do not know who instructed whom and who imposed whom. We have no
political prisoners in Myanmar. For your kind information, all put in jail
are not political prisoners. The national convention for shaping the future
of Myanmar has been going on for some time. This forum also included the
representatives of political parties, elected persons and national races. It
is, in a sense, dialogue with wider perspective and broader base. Therefore
the demand for separate dialogue with one person is not justifiable.

        Q:      What benefit Myanmar will achieve, particularly on economic
front, after becoming a full member?

        A:      Ever since the very inception of ASEAN, they have been
asking us to join the bloc. Since our Independence we have not joined any
regional group because of our own reasons. We are progressing towards a
modern democratic state with market economic system. Time is now ripe for
joining ASEAN. Thus, for an effective regional bloc. ASEAN needs Myanmar and
vice versa. The strength of each other could be interdependent. You know
Myanmar is not alone anymore.

        Q:      How will you adopt democracy within a military set up per
your promise to ASEAN?

        A:      Democracy should prevail in accordance with the values and
requirements of each country. It should not be in quantity while it should
be in quality in utmost value. There should be a "silver line" between
security and freedom. We will go according to ASEAN way of democracy. As you
may be aware, the people of Myanmar know basics of democracy and peaceful
existence from the teachings of the Lord Buddha since time immemorial.
-------------------------------

SLORC: INFORMATION SHEET NO. A-0109(I)
August 31, 1997

 (1)             Myanmar Police Force Urged to Become Second Most
Disciplined and Powerful National Defence Force
(3)             Chief Justice Returns From Manila
(6)             Myanmar Delegation to Attend 18th ASEAN Parliament Work
              Committee and General Assembly
(9)             Organon Seminar on Birth Spacing Methods

                The first seminar on modern birth spacing methods in
Myanmar, organized by Organon of the Netherlands, was held at the Traders
Hotel on 30th August. The first presentation titled "Contraceptive Choices
for the Nursing Mother", it highlighted the results of studies done with
Exulton, a tablet presentation and Megestron, an injectable for three months
birth spacing protection. The second presentation titled " personal
experience with Multiload 375, an IUCD" was presented and exchange of views
on the modern ICUD, multiload 375. The third presentation "Overview of
Modern Oral Contraceptive pills, results of clinical trials on Marvelon, the
Malaysian and Asian Experience" was presented.

OFFICE CALLS IN YANGON ON 29&30 AUGUST

(F)Minister for Energy U Khin Maung Thein received Head of Operation of
Total Exploration and production Mr. J. Ropers at his office on 29 August.

(G) Minister for National Planning and Economic Development Brig. Gen. Abel
received Japanese delegation led by member of the Parliament Mr. Yoichi Tani
at his office on 29 August.

*********************************

NLM: MINISTER EXPLAINS $50,000 LIMIT ON REMITTANCE OF CURRENCY [slightly
abridged]
August 27, 1997

Yangon, 26 Aug - Clarification on remittance of currency received from
FECs [Foreign Exchange Certificates] and FE [Foreign Exchange] received from
exports was given at the Central Bank of Myanmar this afternoon. Minister
for Finance and Revenue Brig. Gen. Win Tin said after FECs purchased in kyat
are deposited in the account of the Foreign Exchange Bank, payment for
imports and remittance abroad on showing related documents will be permitted
up to only US $ 50,000 per month.
After depositing FECs received from sale of imports and local goods
and other FECs in the account of the FE bank, payment for imports,
remittance abroad and repayment for loan and interest on showing of related
documents will be permitted up to only US $ 50,000 per month.
Export proceeds, remittances from abroad and foreign exchange received
for house rent, car rental, salary and others will be dealt with in accord
with the system in practice.

***************************************

THE NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: NEWS IN BRIEF
[excerpts]

August 21, 1997

MS, JAVA MARINE LINES PTE LTD SIGN CONTRACT TO BUILD
TWO SHIPS

YANGON, 20 Aug- Myanmar Shipyards of the Ministry of Transport and
Java Marine Lines  Pte Ltd signed a contract to build two 56-metre ships
worth Singapore $ 8 million at the meeting  hall of MS this morning. The
ships will be used in offshore drilling. The contract to build two 640-ton
landing crafts was also signed on 25 May this year.  According to Managing
Director Mr Pang Yoke Min of Java Holding Group, some more ships  worth
Singapore $ 50 million will be built at MS for increasing number of ships of
Java Marine  Lines.

August 22, 1997

MEPE, MALAYSIA'S GENTING POWER HOLDINGS LTD SIGN
AGREEMENT TO GENERATE, DISTRIBUTE POWER

YANGON, 21 Aug Myanma Electric Power Enterprise signed an
agreement with Genting  Power Holdings Ltd of Malaysia for generating
and distributing power in Kanbauk region, Yebyu  Township, Dawei
District, Taninthayi Division, at the Ministry of Energy yesterday evening.

FOUR KNU MEMBERS WELCOMED INTO PEOPLE'S BOSOM

YANGON, 21 Aug  Realizing the genuine goodwill and endeavours of the
State Law and  Order Restoration Council or the Tatmadaw Government,
remnants of armed groups are  exchanging arms for peace to come into the
bosom of the people, after renouncing their destructive  acts which do not
benefit the nation and people.

 Privates of KNU Defence Battalion 4 of Brigade 2 Saw Lay Nadi (a)
Arikan, Saw Tun Lwin (a)  Saw Adi, Saw Kha Lay (a) Saw Debo and Saw
Ju Ju came-in at Leiktho military camp in the  Southern Command area on
24 June.
August 23, 1997

DEPUTY COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF DEFENCE SERVICES,
COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF (ARMY) RECEIVES CHIEF OF GENERAL
STAFF (ARMY) OF THE ARMED FORCES OF BANGLADESH

YANGON, 22 Aug  Vice-Chairman of the State Law and Order
Restoration Council Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services
Commander-in chief (Army) General Maung  Aye received Chief of
General Staff (Army) of the Armed Forces of People's Republic of
Bangladesh Maj-Gen Mohammad Anwar Hossain and party
at Tatmadaw Hall, Zeyathiri Beikman,  Konmyinttha, at 4 pm today.

 Present also together with General Maung Aye were Secretary-1 of the
State Law and Order  Restoration Council Chief of the Office of Strategic
Studies and Director of Defence Services  Intelligence Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,
Secretary-2 Chief of Bureau of Special Operations and Chief of  Staff
(Army) Lt-Gen Tin Oo, Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Vice-Admiral Tin
Aye,  Commander-in-Chief .(Air) Lt-Gen Tin Ngwe, Adjutant General Lt-
Gen Win Myint,  Quartermaster-General Lt-Gen Tin Hla, Commander of
Yangon Command Maj-Gen Khin Maung  Than and Commandant of the
National Defence College Maj-Gen San Aung.

 The guests were accompanied by Ambassador of Bangladesh-Mr Jahangir
Saadat and Defence  Attache of Bangladesh Embassy Brig-Gen Nasiruddin
Sarwar.

PUBLIC WORKS, KINSHO MATAICHI SIGN AGREEMENT TO
PURCHASE CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT

YANGON, 22 Aug The Public Works signed an agreement with Kinsho
Mataichi Corporation of Japan to purchase construction equipment at
Traders Hotel on Sule Pagoda Road  this evening.

Public Works will purchase 30 items of construction equipment,
numbering 264, and spare parts  worth Yen 3,689,020,290 for special
bridge and road construction projects as well as two sets of  hydraulic
bored pile equipment worth Yen 467,990,435 for bridge construction
projects including  Mottama Bridge Project.

 Payment can be made in installments including grace period.

ACCORD ON INCORPORATION OF MYANMAR HELICOPTERS
INTERNATIONAL CO LTD SIGNED

YANGON, 22 Aug  Myanma Airways of the Ministry of Transport and
Canadian Helicopters International signed an accord on incorporation of
Myanmar Helicopters International  Co Ltd at Traders Hotel on Sule
Pagoda Road this morning.