Sweatshop Curriculum Packet

/* Written  9:27 AM  Sep  2, 1997 by clr in igc:labr.announcem */
/* ---------- "Sweatshop Curriculum Packet" ---------- */
Labor Alerts/Labor News
a service of Campaign for Labor Rights
1247 "E" Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
clr@xxxxxxxxxxx   (541) 344-5410   http://www.compugraph.com/clr

GLOBAL SWEATSHOP CURRICULUM PACKET

Written and edited by Campaign for Labor Rights staff, the Global
Sweatshop Curriculum Packet has more than 50 pages of useful
information for teachers wanting to present this timely and important
topic in their classroom: key terms, classroom exercises, background
on several high-profile sweatshop and child labor campaigns, Q&A,
further resources, profiles of young activists and their work and
more -- all presented in classroom language.  Separate versions for
the U.S. and Canada.

There is nothing else like this available.  The sweatshop curriculum
packet is campaign-oriented.  It presents a highly abstract concept
-- global economics -- in concrete terms.  Throughout the packet,
issues are framed with reference to two specific campaigns dealing
with child labor (FoulBall and Rugmark) and three specific campaigns
dealing with sweatshop practices (Nike, Disney, Guess).  The packet
discusses sweatshop issues both at home and overseas.

The packet is intended for use in classrooms for 4th through 12th
grade students.  The material is not divided by grade levels.
Instead, teachers are invited to select and adapt as appropriate for
their students.

This resource is by PRE-PAY ONLY:  $12.50 (US) to U.S. addresses,
$20.00 (Canadian) to Canadian addresses.  Send check or money order
to Campaign for Labor Rights, 1247 "E" Street SE, Washington, DC
20003.

1247 "E" Street SE, Washington, DC 20003.  For a sample copy, send
your postal address to clr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To receive our email Labor Alerts, send a message to clr@xxxxxxxxxxx
with "labor alerts -- all campaigns" in the subject line or specify
which labor issues interest you:  Nike, Disney, Guess, child labor,
Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, El Salvador, US farm workers, US
poultry processing workers. If you would like to receive information
which falls outside those categories (prison labor, workfare, other
policy issues, additional briefing material on some campaigns),
indicate that you want to be on our Additional Labor Information list
AS WELL AS our All Campaigns list.  To stop receiving this service,
check to see whether you have received our alerts directly from us
or as a reposting via some other list.  Send an email message to the
address listed in the "return path" saying that you want to
unsubscribe.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE A BREAK IN OUR LABOR ALERT SERVICE, send us an
email verifying that you still want to receive our alerts and
indicating which lists (see above) you want to be on.  For various
technical reasons, many email messages are "bounced back."  We drop
subscribers whose messages have been returned to us twice.