ASEAN must review its non-interfere (r)

Dear Colleagues,

I have stated this often enough: Asean's refusal to acknowledge the decision
of the people of Burma to have a democratic, civilian government, as
expressed through the outcome of the 1990 elections, IS A NEGATIVE
INTERFERENCE in the internal affairs of another country.
Through supporting the Slorc which was overwhelmingly rejected by the people
of Burma, Asean is an accomplice in the human rights violations, military
attacks and severe economic mismanagement perpetrated by the Slorc.  Many
people in Asean are not even aware that universities remain closed in Burma,
or that malnutrition is widespread. Neither are they aware of the Slorc's
brutal forced reloction and slave labour activities, nor of the terrible
havoc being wreaked on this region and the world by the rampant drug
production. They do not realise that the controlled surface "stability" in
Rangoon and Manadalay does not reflect the reality of the country.

PLEASE consider appproaching the diplomatic missions of Asean and Asean
Regional Forum members to insist on regular informal dialogue/briefing sessions.

PLEASE fax letters/press releases/news clippings to these diplomatic missons
every time something bad happens in Burma - they need to be held responsible
for their stand.  Clearly, Slorc has not improved after Asean membership.

We need to build up some type of dialogue between the democracy movement and
their supporters, and representatives of Asean member states across the
world. If they refuse to see you, keep on sending the faxes, and consider
other actions. Eventually, they will have to talk to you. Asean reps are
scared of confrontation and easily hurt by condemnation - some groups may
wish to adopt a "softer" approach to build up their confidence and a
dialogue relationship.  Remember, many of them are insecure, egotistic men
who are not used to dealing with real people, so we have to be a little
creative in approach.

The line frequently adopted now by the Asean states is that they too, like
us, want to see things improve in Burma, but have a different approach in
strategy. This is a good starting point.  Everyone realises that
"non-interference" is a poor excuse.  Asean reps don't like being seen as a
"bad guy" and hate getting insulted.  Many are at a loss as to what actually
they should do. We are in a strong position to influence the agenda, so
please seriously consider doing something that will pressure Asean to
respond positively.

Changes are gradually happening in the Asean view on Burma - we all have a
key role to accelerate this informal review. Don't forget, all of us are
making a difference in Asean - reps are feeling defensive about Burma - they
all realise it is a key issue.  Certain embassies and govts are voluntarily
making contact or attending events so that they can gain information on what
the activists are doing and talking about.  This sort of
surveillance/participation means the issue is being taken seriously.

Yours in solidarity with the peoples of Burma,

Debbie Stothard
A L T S E A N - B U R M A
ALTERNATIVE ASEAN NETWORK ON BURMA
*tel: [662] 275 1811/693 4515 *fax: [662] 693 4515 *e-mail: altsean@xxxxxxxxxx