U.S.DEPARTMENT OF STATE BRIEFING ON

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE BRIEFING 25/8/97

questions & answers between a reporter & Spokesman James Rubin on Aung San
Suu Kyi

Q: On Burma, General Abel of the SLORC has accused Aung San Suu Kyi of

using her status to get a green card in the U.S. Does the State

Department have any knowledge of that?

RUBIN: I've not heard any discussion of a green card for Aung San Suu

Kyi. I can tell you this -- that Secretary Albright believes very

strongly in the work that Aung San Suu Kyi is doing. She has been a

long-time supporter of her. We, as you know, have taken additional

sanctions in recent months to try to send the message that the elected

leader of the party that won the elections should have a role to play

in that country.

This is a very brave and courageous woman who deserves an opportunity

to play a role in the affairs of her country. We are very supportive

of her, but I have not heard anything about a green card.