Support: Freedom of Expression!

         SUPPORT: Freedom Of Expression

Support for the democracy movement in Burma and freedom of
expression are quite different issues.  One can be a supporter
for the democracy movement while criticizing the particular groups.

On 19August, 1997, we heard a program from Radio Free Asia
(Burmese Service)about the execution in ABSDF.  We were quite amazed for
the courage of the radio station and we were very glad that it did.
Before then, we thought there was no one (except Amnesty International
and some human rights groups) who pointed out any weakness of the
oppositions on the border. Many students in Bangkok, who left the border
for frustration of what had happened, expressed their concern that
someone should have done it before for a departure to a good change. The
ABSDF students who are now taking shelter in
the various refugee camps were also glad about it and hoped
that it could make the leaders think for a change.

However, the responses from the leaders, as far as we heard in
Bangkok were quite astounding.  They were angry for that program.  Even
a leader said they listened RFA because of its support for democracy but
now he said he would not listen it any more because he thought RFA was
not supporting democracy. Some leaders said it was
not the time to do it.  we have been  curious how will they respond
to the radio station since then.

If it is not the right time, when will it be the right time?  We
want them to think and compare that if SLORC says that it is not the
right time for criticism, how can we change the society and how can
we educate the people about what is happening and how can we let people
learn from the events?  We all are hesitant to admit our disorienting
dilemmas.  It doesn't. (A woman whom we know, Mi Mi Khaing who was from
NLD accused of being a spy and tortured and interrogated by Dr. Naing
Aung led ABSDF.  She was released lately). We wish Radio Free Asia
interviewed her about her experience in ABSDF interrogation centre. (Ne
Win Aung is also free and is living in Bangkok.He can also tell his
experience in the interrogation centre).

It is quite irrational to say that someone is not supporting
democracy movements for pointing out the weakness.  When we say like
this, we should notice that we are behaving like BSPP or SLORC and we
are copying their BAD EVIL BEHAVIOURS instead of removing them from our
daily activities.  The events can devastate ourselves and for
such reasons, many students feel insecure to make a
change within ourselves.  Therefore many students have abandoned the
border struggle.   We should be facing the reality and we should not be
afraid of learning from the mistakes that we made.

We hope that we should make every efforts to stop such awful events
and we should analyse ourselves for a better changes.  Internal changes
are necessary among us and we will never be able to
establish a peaceful and democratic country  if we don't  remove
those habits ourselves.  We hope that Radio Free Asia will stand
firm from its right direction.

With respect,
A Group of *8888 Pro-democracy Students

Down with Dictator! Down with SLORC! Down with Evil-revolutionaries!