9TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ABSDF STATEM

          STATEMENT ON THE 9TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT
                            OF THE ABSDF
                            ============

                                          Date : October 31, 1997

On November 1, 1997, the All Burma Students' Democratic Front
(ABSDF) marks nine years of  unrelenting struggle for democracy
and human rights for the people of Burma following the nationwide
pro-democracy uprising of 1988.

At this time, we honour our many colleagues who have over the
past nine years sacrificed their lives in the jungle and in
prisons throughout the country for the restoration of democracy
in Burma. To uphold the honour of these colleagues, we will
persist with our struggle until democracy in Burma is achieved.

During the August Central Committee meeting of the ABSDF, we
unanimously decided to promote more political activities inside
the country, which will culminate in a nationwide "general
strike" against the military. The ABSDF firmly believes that a
people's democratic movement has the strength to overthrow the
military dictatorship.

Although ASEAN has admitted Burma as a member, it can be clearly
seen that their "constructive engagement" policy does not work.
At the same time, the SLORC military regime is under great
pressure from the international community which has expressed
serious concerns about political repression and human rights
violations.

The military regime has still refused to enter a meaningful
dialogue with the democratic forces, led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
and ethnic representatives. The ABSDF fully supports the National
League for Democracy (NLD) and its leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
for attempting to enter a meaningful dialogue with the SLORC in
order to solve the country's problems peacefully.

The ABSDF continues its struggle with the following objectives:

1. to liberate all nationalities under military rule,
2. to restore democracy and human rights,
3. to restore internal peace,
4. to establish a Federal Union of Burma.

Central Committee
ABSDF
Headquarters (Dawn Gwin)