Statement by NLD (LA) AUSTRALIA ON (r)

Statement by NLD (LA) AUSTRALIA on the 50th Anniversary of Independence.

To-day marks the 50th anniversary of Independence from the British
colonialism.  It is
a general notion that no body wants to live under foreign rule.  In our
past history
many Burmese patriots took arms against the intruding colonialists and gave
up their
lives for the country.  Having been subjects under colonialists for over
100 years, our
national leader U Aung San made the whole nation united and succeeded in
gaining the
Sovereignty and Independence back from the British colonialist on 4th
January 1948.
While Burma was on its spree to a progressed democratic state,
unfortunately it fell
again into the brutal rule of the military regime.  Even though Burma
appears to have
its own sovereignty, in essence the people has been losing its basic human
rights.  In
other words, it means that Burma has lost its independence.  That was why
Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi, our charismatic national leader, said on 26.8.88. at the mass
rally on the
open ground west of  the great Shwedagon pagoda that "This national crisis
could in
fact  be called the 2nd  struggle for national Independence". We must
pledge on this
50th anniversary of the first independence to continue our fight
relentlessly for 2nd
Independence from the militarism.  All the democratic forces should be
united for that
purpose.  On such an auspicious day, we strongly call on the military
regime in Burma

1.  To release all the political prisoners unconditionally and immediately

2.  To convene Pyithu Hluttaw (Parliament) after recognising the results of
1990 general election.

3.  To accept the call made by the National League for Democracy to settle
the national problems through the national reconciliation and negotiations.

Executive Committee
National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Australia