Bangkok Post January 19: Narcotics

January 19, 1998

                                NARCOTICS

              Suppression
              measures hit snags

              Cooperation from schools sought

              Subin Khuenkaew
              Chiang Mai

              Lack of cooperation from school administrators and a limited
              budgets have hampered efforts by anti-narcotics agents to
              combat the drugs menace in educational establishments in the
              North.

              Northern Narcotics Control Centre director Bunpot Phumdee
              said drug abuse among students is still rampant in this region
              despite tough anti-drugs measures, including urine tests of
              students and drastic crackdowns on drug rackets.

              Mr Bunpot said: "We have launched many anti-drugs projects at
              schools to tackle the use of drugs among youths.

              "Officials are always sent to give information about drug abuse
              and its danger to students. However, we receive little
              cooperation from school administrators, particularly from
              well-known educational establishments.

              "They are afraid that the reputation of their schools will be
              tarnished if their students are found to be addicted to illicit
              drugs," he added.

              Chiang Mai, which is a hub of education in the North, houses
              many educational institutions, including 20 private and
              state-owned vocational colleges and three universities, with a
              combined total of students of more than 200,000.

              Students who are addicted to drugs normally gather at nightspots
              where they can easily obtain illicit drugs, especially
              amphetamines and ecstasy (Ya-E).

              Dr Damrong Somboontanond, chief of the Chiang Mai provincial
              public health office, said budget and manpower constraints were
              the main obstacles for his office to prevent the spread of drugs
              among youths.

              "This year, we have received requests from 35 schools asking us
              to conduct urine tests among their students.

              "However, we may not be able to respond to all of them due to
              our budget and personnel constraints. Our budget for this
              purpose covers only 30,000 students," pointed out Dr Damrong.

              A female student from Mae Sai Vitthayakhom School in Mae
              Sai district, Chiang Mai, confessed she used to be addicted to
              amphetamines which were given to her by her male classmate.

              "I had been addicted to amphetamines for several months. When
              I had no money to finance my drug habits, my friend induced me
              to be a drug dealer. Now, I have quit taking and selling drugs
              with the help of the school headmaster," said the 15-year-old
              girl.

              Another female student from a university in Chiang Mai revealed
              the spread of drugs in the campus. She said ecstacy and cocaine
              have become popular among students from well-to-do families.

              Meanwhile, Prasert Thanarit, owner of the privately-run Sirthana
              Panich and Technology College in Chiang Mai said the drug
              situation in this province has gradually improved compared to
              recent years where many students were enslaved by illicit drugs.

              Last year, a number of students in Chiang Mai and Lamphun
              were addicted to drugs, prompting local vocational colleges to
              join hands to tackle the use of drugs among their students

              A total of 11 privately-run colleges jointly set up a narcotics
              testing centre, the first in the region, said Mr Prasert, adding
              member colleges sent suspected drug addicts to have their urine
              tested for drug use.

              The results of the tests and information about those were
              selected for testing were kept confidential. The centre, staffed
              with teachers who were trained from a provincial medical
              sciences centre, also provided counselling and treatment and
              gave support to the addicts to prevent them from re-addiction.

              Mr Prasert, also chairman of the Association of Privately-run
              Colleges in Chiang Mai and Lamphun said: "Our narcotics
              prevention measure is successful and more importantly it doesn't
              affect our colleges and students.

              "We haven't expelled students who are addicted to drugs. Many
              returned to schools after treatment."

              In an effort to cope with the spread of drugs among northern
              youths, the association has planned to seek financial support
              from various agencies to set up a rehabilitation centre for addicts.

              Mr Prasert said: "We have now sought permission from the
              Chiang Mai Army to use a vacant plot in its compound to set up
              the rehabilitation centre.

              "Under our proposal, we will organise various activities such as
              sports, planting fertiliser-free vegetables, with the aim of
              encouraging the addicts to use their time constructively.

              "All information about youths who seek treatment from the
              centre will be kept confidential."

              He denounced the proposed mandatory drug test by the
              Narcotics Suppression Bureau as being too harsh and not
              constructive.

              "The mandatory drug test violates constitutional rights of
              students. The drug testing should be conducted with the consent
              of students and their parents. It's against the law if all students
              are forced by anti-narcotics police to undergo urine tests for
              drugs," claimed Mr Prasert.

              The NSB has recently backed down its controversial urine test
              on students following strong opposition from parents and
              teachers.

© The Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. All rights reserved 1997
Contact the Bangkok Post
Web Comments: Webmaster

Last Modified: Mon, Jan 19, 1998