Is Burma at a cross-road again?

Present situations in Burma are indicating that the old regime in Burma
is making its final preparation to exit the old millennium the best way
they possibly could. After the latest restructuring of SLORC to SPDC,
they even claim that army no longer would need to have a military coup
in the future.

NLD, the opposition party in Burma which has the mandate to rule from
the people in the last general election in May 1990 is also striving
very hard to get to the discussion table and regain democracy by
peaceful means.

At the time of this posting, a United Nations special envoy lead by
Alvaro De Soto arrived in Rangoon on Tuesday (20Jan'98)for a three-day
visit. It is believed to be a follow up to the UN Secretary General Kofi
Annan's  meeting with Senior General Than Shwe, at a regional summit in
Kuala Lumpur in December 1997.

It may appear now that Burma is at a cross-road for a possible
reconciliation.

I hope this will be the final chance for the military regime to uphold
the image of the army once and for all and save their dignitary at the
same time when they have a third party to witness their agreement inside
our own country. I just wish they don't try to start smart something
like they did in 1988 again. If you are determined to do the best for
the country and its people, show it to the world now.

I therefore urge SPDC to agree to hold dialogue with Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and other Myanmar ethnic group leaders to lay ground for a national
reconciliation seriously.

The pretext to this meeting should be no less than the military regime's
acceptance to the results of the May 1990 election.

Minn Kyaw Minn