FW: Telephone Scam Alert

Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 9:38AM

The following is an alert we received from another agency.  I have no idea
what a "QMOW" is but the concern about the telephone scam is legitimate.  If
you receive one of these calls, refuse to cooperate and just hang up.  Then
report the call by email to our "Helpdesk, IRM (FTA)" group...

"On Saturday, 24 January 1998, Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base, New
Orleans' Quarterdeck received a telephone call from an individual
identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician that was running a test
on our telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test the QMOW
should touch nine (9), zero (0), pound sign (#) and hang up. Luckily, the
QMOW was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company we
were informed that by using 90#  you end up giving the individual that
called you access to your telephone line and allows them to place a long
distance telephone call, with the charge appearing on your telephone bill.
We were further informed that this scam has been originating from many of
the local jails/prisons. Please 'pass the word.'"

The AT&T Rep spoken with also verified that AT&T NEVER has a technician
call to test a line as described above. Their technicians can test lines
safely, without interrupting your service, from a remote site.  If a
technician is sent to your home or business, they will be in uniform and
have the proper identification. If you receive a call like this, just
refuse to cooperate and hang up.  Do not offer to call them back to
verify their request.  That will also give them an opening to access your
telephone line.

David J. Crockett, Information Systems Security Officer, FTA