A Man of Some Influence

What Ne Win wants still matter

Asiaweek February 13, 1998.

Although he officially stepped down amid growing turmoil in 1988, Myanmar's
former dictator, Gen. Ne Win, 86, continued to cast a shadow over the
country. Did the reclusive Ne Win really order the current military junta
to make last November's dramatic changes? Says and Asian diplomat: "The
jury is still out on that." The generals themselves deny it. Cabinet
minister Gen. David Abel says: "He is a man of very clear decision. When he
left, he just got up on the stage and said, 'I am responsible for what
happening and I'm out. Thank God, I've turned my back on politics.'"

Others disagree. Says another diplomat: "He is involved, definitely." Some
say he should become more inprochement between the NLD's Aung San Suu Kyi
and junta. Says a top civil servant: "Everyone hopes he can bring Khin
Nyunt and Aung San Suu Kyi together, since he is closed to S-1 and he knew
her father." Military men dismiss idea.

Just who is Ne Win? He was born in a town north of Yangon to ordinary
family. His real name is Maung Shu Maung but, like other independence
fighters, adopted a nom de guerre; "Ne Win" means "bright sun." While
working as a postal clerk, he was swept up in the fight for freedom. Ne Win
came to power by force in 1962 and ruled with an iron fist for 26 years.

Economic problems led to widespread unrest in 1988 and by July the general
stepped down. Many wish he had done so sooner. Saya Ba Thaung, a former
U.N. ambassador: "He has always been a very stubborn man."

And one unbothered by conventions. The number of his wives is a matter of
jovial conjecture -- most say between four and six. His second and most
influential wife was the American-educated Khin May Than. They had three
children, including his favorite daughter, Sandar Win, a hotelier and
powerful figure in Yangon.

Last September, Ne Win visited his old chums, Singapore Senior Minister Lee
Kuan Yew and Indonesia's President Suharto, both of whom reportedly in
Myanmar. Afterward, Ne Win told Khin Nyunt that corruption had to be rooted
out. So it came to pass on Nov. 15.

It may well have happened. Even if it didn't, the generals may not mind the
rumors. They prefer the military to believe that Ne Win has approved, if
not directed, their more portentous decisions. Such is the wily old
dictator's clout these days.

CCT