2/2/98:A LETTER TO SENIOR GENERAL T

/* Written Tue 3 Feb 11:00am 1998 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" 2/2/98 Letter to General Than Shwe "---------- */

A LETTER TO SENIOR GENERAL THAN SHWE
************************************

Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
AUSTRALIA.

February 2, 1998.

Senior General Than Shwe
Chairman
State Peace and Development Council
c/o Ministry of Defence
Signal Pagoda Road
Rangoon, Burma.

Dear General Than Shwe

Re: The interim government in Burma
-----------------------------------
I am writing to the Chairman of State Peace and Development
Council (SPDC) regarding with teh interim administration in
Burma. I respectfully appeal you to take further steps to form a
Burma interim administration consisting of your council, SPDC,
as Executive Branch and the opposition National League for
Democracy (NLD) as an official law making body. First
appropriate step in this direction is your council, SPDC, and
Central Executive Committee of NLD to jointly announce the
formation of an interim administration.

I should also like to remind you and your council about the
United Nations General Assembly Resolution no.52/137 of 12
December 1997. In accordance with this U.N.resolution, your
council, SPDC, has no right to make laws in Burma, and various
orders and decrees made by your previous council, SLORC, have no
force of law in Burma. The only way to solve this problem is, as
I have suggested, your council, SPDC, jointly with the NLD party
to form an interim administration.

Please also note that following measures will be taken by the
international community if your council fails to work jointly
with the National League for Democracy:

1. we will further block your council's access to various
international banks and creditors, especially from Japan. The
Government of Japan will cancel its debt-relief program to
Burma.

2. the representative of your council at the United Nations may
be expelled.

I am also very concerned about continuing detention of political
prisoners and, especially, about your council's preventing visit
to Burma of U.N. Human Rights Special Rapporteur, Mr Rajsoomer
Lallah.

Yours respectfully,
Sd. U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */