Government to take to skies to prot

Politics

      Government to take to
      skies to protect forests

      LAMPANG -- Prime Minister Chuan
      Leekpai Sunday ordered a more extensive
      crackdown on illegal logging which will
      incorporate air surveillance with the work of
      soldiers, police and forestry officials.

      Chuan said planes and helicopters would
      be flown over areas difficult for ground
      officials to access to monitor the felling of
      trees by loggers, and a fast moving unit
      would be deployed to the areas once illegal
      activities were located.

      Illegal logging, especially at Salween
      National Park in Mae Hong Son, came
      under renewed scrutiny after Bt5 million in
      cash was left in front of the house of
      Forestry Department deputy
      director-general Prawat Thanadkha last
      week.

      Prawat tried to donate the money to the
      Thais-Helping-Thais fund but Chuan
      declined to accept it. The Agriculture
      Ministry is investigating whether Prawat
      knows the source of the money and whether
      it was a bribe from loggers who had felled
      trees in the park.

      Chuan flew to inspect the park on Saturday
      and was given a list of alleged illegal
      loggers in the area by a local retired police
      sergeant, Thaweesak Angtha.

      Chuan said he would give the list to officials
      concerned. The prime minister said the
      retired sergeant did not request special
      protection.

      The premier said the illegal logging must
      be stopped ''not only at Salween, but it is
      the government's policy to protect forests
      nationwide. The Cabinet has been
      informed about the stepped-up
      suppression''.

      Chuan was granted an audience with Her
      Majesty the Queen in Chiang Mai on
      Saturday. The prime minister said HM the
      Queen was concerned about illegal logging
      in the park.

      Chuan, also defence minister, said he had
      consulted the armed forces about using
      military personnel and equipment to help
      suppress illegal logging.

      ''We will have to change some techniques,''
      he said. ''We will have to use planes to
      survey forests. When we know the locations
      of illegal activities, officials will be deployed
      to suppress them.

      ''Salween Park has been encroached upon
      since 1996. Forest officials who turn a blind
      eye on such activities are present in most
      units. This has made it easier for
      wrongdoers.''

      Maj Sunchai Jaruwan, commander of a
      task force in Mae Hong Son, said parts of
      the park had been encroached upon by
      some 1,800 Karen refugees who have fled
      fighting in Burma.

      Sunchai said the refugees began to move
      back to Burma Sunday.

      Meanwhile in Bangkok, Interior Minister
      Sanan Kachornprasart said he would
      speak with the army commander-in-chief
      and the agriculture minister this week about
      cooperation to protect forest area.

      ''And we must also find out who the
      masterminds of illegal logging are,'' Sanan
      said.

      Police Director-General Pol Gen Pracha
      Promnok said Sunday that Central
      Investigation Commission head Pol Lt Gen
      Seri Temiyavej was tracing the source of
      the Bt5 million.

      ''I asked him to fear no influence in the fight
      against illegal loggers,'' Pracha said.

      Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Chettha
      Thanajaro said the Army had units and task
      forces along the border which can help the
      government in its crackdown.

      The Nation