Dear Imre:

To clear some stuff up that you think that I imply:

1) I would never advocate for the DEA to attack poppy farmers in Burma.
The KNU, a homegrown organization seems to want to do that by themselves.

2) As you say "placing blame" on the American drug consumer seems to be
a foolish endeavor as a campaign. Tell me, how many  consumer boycott
strikes actually work. What shall we do, organize heroin users in this
country to use non-Burman heroin? It seems to me that attacking the
problem at it's source would be more effective.

3) You might have implied that I'm "liberal" on this issue of narco-dealing.
Heroin production is used to help bankroll the SPDC and a few of the
insurgent groups. Summarily in Northern Ireland Ulster Loyalist
paramilitary groups run drug fronts to help finances their weapons
caches and operations . These drugs are mainly sold in the Irish
Catholic neighborhoods and community at large. the Irish Republican
Army, not unlike the KNU/KNLA seeks to destroy those operations.
Daeling heroin in West Belfast, one would receive corporal or capital
punishment compliments of the IRA.  That is good! I heard that the KNU
generally has a similar policy.

4) You make it sound as if growing poppies is totally acceptable thing
to do in Burma, like growing a tomato garden. then why have I heard
that the KNU/KNLA has wiped out heroin production in it's liberated zones.
Oh yes, to be more clear, the KNU has been around in Burma since 1947,
it has had plenty of time to develop it's own political ideology and
policies. So if you respond that the KNU is simply a puppett of the US
DEA, that really can't be accurate.

5) I have been a witness to the "war on drugs" in this country. As you
say,"placing blame" on the drug user in this country means to me that
we should unleash police forces even more into low income communities.
Not only is that a dubious solution, it's been tried before and it
doesn't work. Over one-half the heroin on the street in the U.S. comes
from the "Golden Triangle" which Burma shares. Keeping heroin  out of
this country seems awfully easy as far as a police operation goes.
Heck, if you know where the source comes from, it's pretty easy to see
where you should intervene with law enforcement. The government and the
police may play a role in fighting heroin and other hard drugs, but
placing the police intervention at the heroin consumer's level has never
been a compellingsolution and never will. Generally speaking, people don't stop doing
illegal things just because authorities tell them that they shouldn't.
They usually stop doing illegal things because of external reasons in
their community, family or personal life.

6) I have also been a witness to what among a few other drugs, heroin
does to people in this country. I live and work in low income
community. The SPDC is primarily responsible for their share of
trafficking heroin over here.By suggesting that the U.S. Government
should help the SPDC build infrastructures in Burma would be nothing
less than rewarding the SPDC for trafficking heroin to our shores. By
the U.S. purchasing poppies from Burma, gives poppy growers legitimacy.
And I don't think that poppy growers have a lot of legitimacy in Burma
being that at least one major political force in Burma (KNU/KNLA) seem
(or so they seem) out to destroy poppy production in Burma.

Sincereley Yours,

Neil Flynn

P.S. Please forgive my mis-interpretation to a previous posting about
the NLD sharing power with the SPDC