the Salween chainsaw massacre

9-2-98

This news,"the Salween chainsaw massacre "made me so sorry and hurt. (See
Bangkok post, January 25,1998.)

Why have we, Burmese refugees, found ourselves in the hand of Thai
malitary. The background of politics in Burma has led to this situation. Ne
Win has controlled Burmese government since 1962. Although the names have
changed, from BSPP, to SLORC to SPDC, we believe Ne Win is the controlling
hand behind the scenes.

The current Government SPDC, is  feared by Burmese refugees and poor people
inside the country. I have been a refugee in Thailand of northern part for
three years. I believe Ne Win in co-operation with Thai citizens, control
an illegal trade in logs from Thailand.

Because of, during rainy season I had passed several times from refugees
camp to Mae Sam Lab by motor-boat down Slaween. I saw logs from Thai side,
were tied up into rafts and then were taken to Burmese army gates. People
talked about, logs can not be trade in Thailand without Burmese army's
seal. I learned that, Thai logs nust be sealed by Burmese army and then can
be trade in Thailand.

The news has accused us of supplying the labour for the illegal logging.
This is untrue. We have 3,000 refugees in my camp alone. Almost twenty of
us had been hired by Thai loggers to fell trees with hands and tied up logs
into rafts at night. Our leaders had asked them to leave our camp atonce.

But now, we refugees of northern area are forced to move to the dangerous
location which we do not want to stay, nearer to the Burmese army's camp,
Mar Ner Plaw. And we will be easy targets for attacks.Because, in 1995
April 25, SLORC soldiers attacked Mae Lamu camp and forced refugees went
back to Burma. Refugees walked for two hours, then because of Thai
authorities' help they could came back to Mae Lamu.

18-2-98

On 12th and 13th Feb we were forced to relocation, but we refused. The
background of politics in Burma which is controlled by Ne Win has led to
this tragic situation. He wants refugees to return. As he had tried Mae
Lamu he did the same to Sho Ka Lo, Bel Ka Law and Hwykalob refugee camp.

We were accused that we were illegal loggers but we are not. As I had told,
Ne Win and some persons in Thailand are illegal loggers. Because of this
illegal work, we refugees have to relocation.

Because of politics affairs we'd to become refugees in Thailand. So we
believe, politics caused us to be accused that we are illegal loggers. So
we are told that because of this illegal job we must be forced relocation.
But anyway we can't go that dangerious place.

We learned this well, so we believe, if we  go to Mae Lamu camp, the same
happening in April 5, 1995 will cause on us like that. Recently, I really
want to go back to my native land, but we couldn't ,for our securities. Our
securities can't be better unless being have peace and democracy in Burma.
We'd learned, many countries help us by making pressure to Burmese military
government in many ways. He is too stubborn to give up the chairs of
countory for peace. I'm sick with this life. I'll be ready to die if it be
a purpose of getting peace in Burma. So any country who respects peace and
democracy, please make pressure more and more instead of constructive
engagement policy.

I met a woman in Chiangmai baking to earn by the side of the road. She had
a son. Though she's being a baker by the road she could built a beautiful
cottage to live and also her son could attend at a famous school"The Prince
Royal College" to get education.I learned from this is she is a fortunate
woman to be born in Thailand and lived under the control of the good
organization by the King and Thai authorities.

So me,  a refugee from Burma, when shall I have a beautiful and peaceful
life like this Thai woman in my native land,"Burma".

Is there will be anyone who can help us,"people in Burma"?