BWU statement (English version)

Burmese Women Union (BWU) Statement
for
International Women's Day, 1998.

International Women's Day 1998 celebrates the commitment of Burmese women to
gaining unity in the struggle for equality, liberty, peace and the
development of all women throughout the world.

In 1975, the United Nations General Assembly recognized the 8th of March as
International Women's Day, aiming to honor and strengthen the efforts of
women in their struggle for social, cultural, economic and political rights.

International Women's Day unites women around the world in the belief that
all women can join hands in cooperation with one another, and in solidarity
for the struggle for women's rights globally. The Burmese Women's Union
strongly believes that all women from Burma have a crucial role to play in
the resolution of our country's problems. In addition, such a resolution
must be found in concert with women from all ethnic areas..

Under a brutal military dictatorship, the people of Burma have, over the
past thirty years, lost the sense of real democracy and enjoyment of human
rights.  The country has been progressively falling into a social and
political abyss. Particularly, women from ethnic backgrounds in Burma have
borne the brunt of much of the military's oppression and hardships. Women's
rights cannot be enjoyed in Burma under a military dictatorship that fails
to respect the human rights of its people, and fails to acknowledge the
contribution that Burmese women can make to rebuilding a new and better Burma.

We understand that it is essential to abolish the military dictatorship in
Burma in order for peace, safety and the true development of women from all
ethnic backgrounds to flourish. Therefore, we declare that on the occasion
of International Women's Day in 1998, Burmese Women's Union (BWU) will work
together, hand in hand, with women from all ethnicities in the struggle
against the military dictatorship, and for the promotion of democracy, human
rights and equality of ethnic nationalities in Burma.

Central Executive Committee,
Burmese Women Union,
March 8,1998.

Burmese Women Union (BWU)