SPDC/SLORC RESPONSE TO THE U.N.HUMA

/* Posted 9 Mar 11:00am 1998 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* ----------" Intervention by H.E.U Pe Thein Tin "----------- */

(ADDED NOTE: Following response of SPDC/SLORC representative to UN
Special Rapporteur's human rights report was found in BURMA DEBATE,
NOV/DEC 1997, VOL.IV, NO.4. The report is clearly outrageous, which
is reflecting the Burmese military junta's lack of respect for
United Nations and the procedures of United Nations. While the
Special Rapporteur was not allowed -despite repeated requests-
to visit Burma and not being given the opportunity to investigate
the situation by himself, the junta is complaining the report as
"inaccurate".

This years' 54th Session of Commission on Human Rights meeting is to
be held on 16 March-24 April. It is a good time for our friends  to
put forward the human rights information to the UN. We should
especially ask the United Nations to put pressure on the junta in
order to get unhindered access to Burma for the Human Rights Special
Rapporteur. SPDC/SLORC must not pick and choose when and where the
Special Rapporteur want to go inside Burma - Special Rapporteur must
be able to investigate freely inside Burma anything he considered to
be appropriate. --- With best regards, U Ne Oo.)

THE INTERVENTION BY H.E. AMBASSADOR U PE THEIN TIN
THE REPRESENTATIVE OF MYANMAR.

ON THE OCCASION OF THE SUBMISSION OF ORAL PRESENTATION BY THE
SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR OF THE COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS ON THE
SITUATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IN MYANMAR

New York, 12 November 1997.

MR. CHAIRMAN,

Thank you for giving me the floor. I would like to take this
opportunity to place on the record the position of my delegation
with regard to the interim report presented just now by Mr.
Rajsoomer Lallah.

The report turned a blind eye to all the positive and constructive
achievements of my country. It has given priority and credence only
to wide ranging accusations emanating from people, inside and
outside the country, who have their own political motives.

Furthermore, just as in his last year's report, Mr. Lallah has
incorporated political statements in the guise of legal arguments
in the present one. Any person, with an independent mind and
unbiased outlook, can easily ascertain that the report is nothing
but an attempt to exert unwarranted political pressure on my
country.

MR. CHAIRMAN,

Myanmar has an unbroken report of cooperation with the United
Nations in all areas of interest, including that of human rights. We
have always cooperated with the United Nations human rights bodies
to the fullest extent possible.

Information regarding the developments in my country are provided to
the thematic rapporteurs of the Commission on Human Rights,
including Mr. Lallah, through the Office of the High Commissioner
for Human Rights, whenever they are requested. We are indeed,
heartened to find our responses to allegations in the reports of the
thematic rapporteurs.

However, Mr. Lallah's report is found to have reflected mainly the
views of those who are opposing the Government for reasons totally
unconnected with the issue of human rights. It is most regrettable
that he had ignored the official records provided to him by
responsible Myanmar officials.

MR. CHAIRMAN,

>From our point of view, there are several aspects of human rights.
These rights include among others, the right to development, the
right to live in peace and tranquility, and the right to security on
the streets and in the homes. These are among the most fundamental
of human rights. Without ensuring these basic rights, other aspects
of human rights cannot be implemented.

We have repeatedly stated that the Government and people are
endeavouring to attain unity, peace, stability and prevalence of law
and order in the country even while striving for the socio-economic
development of the people. And we are achieving unprecedented
successes in our endeavours.

None of these aspects were mentioned in Mr. Lallah's report. we
found the report to be totally inaccurate, biased, highly intrusive
and politically motivated. It demonstrates a lack of understanding
and is contrary to the actual nature of events transpiring in my
country.

How can such a report claim to show the true situation prevailing in
my country ? How can such report claim to have credibility ? The
conclusions and recommendations contained in the report are totally
unacceptable to us. As such, my delegation categorically rejects the
report.

MR. CHAIRMAN,

It is a well-known fact that Myanmar has not accepted the
appointment of a Special Rapporteur and has disassociated itself
from the decisions of UN General Assembly and the Commission on
Human Rights, regarding the situation of human rights in the
country. However, in the spirit of cooperation with the United
Nations, the Government has agreed, on several occasions, to the
visits to Myanmar of representatives of the Commission on Human
Rights. The Government, on its part, has done its utmost to enable
them to observe in a free and open manner, the events transpiring
in the country. The former Special Rapporteur on the Situation of
Human Rights in Myanmar had visited the country five times.

However, the reports submitted were found to be biased,  inaccurate
and politically motivated. They failed to reflect the true situation
of the events that were occurring in the country. Those one-sided
reportings have inflicted damage on the country and people.

MR. CHAIRMAN,

In our view, a report of a United Nations Special Rapporteur should
possess among other things, factual accuracy, overall balance and
comprehensiveness, and should strive to maintain a fair standard of
professionalism and respectability. Moreover, as an impartial
representative of the Commission on Human Rights, Mr. Lallah should
in his report, observe the universal human rights norms of
non-selectivity, objectivity and impartiality. I regret to state
that these qualities are conspicuously lacking in the report of the
Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in Myanmar
contained in document A/52/484 of 16 October 1997.

Therefore, it has become necessary for us to be cautious in dealing
with such matters and to exercise considerable restraint before
damage is properly assessed in safeguarding our national interest.
We shall continue to promote and protect human rights in our
country, while at the same time protect our sovereignty. We shall
also continue to co-operate with the United Nations and its relevant
subsidiary bodies in order to achieve these objectives. In the
context, I wish to reiterate that, as i the case of his
predecessor, Mr. Rajsoomer Lallah would have the opportunity to
visit Myanmar at a time deemed appropriate.

MR. CHAIRMAN,

Many positive developments have continued to occur in my country
throughout the period of the past year. Limitation of time
constrains me from elaborating on those events. Thus, for the ready
reference of the members of the committee and for observers, in
order to enable them to clearly understand the ongoing process
occurring in Myanmar, my delegation has undertaken to circulate a
Memorandum concerning the Situation of Human Rights in Myanmar as an
official document of the fifty-second United Nations General
Assembly.

I will also be apprising the Committee in detail of the positive
developments occurring in my country at a later stage.

I thank you Mr. Chairman.

/* Endreport */