message from TharNyuntOo

Request to the International Student Community

by the All Burma Federation of Students' Union

The All Burma Federation of Students' Union(ABFSU) has struggled to improve
Burmese Education System and to enable to enjoy their basic student rights
in Burma. During the rule of Burmese Military regime(formerly the SLORC, now
called SPDC) students have been increasingly denied their rights and
educational freedom, the SPDC's oppression of students has become more
intense and widespread. At the sametime, many students' movements occured to
try and improve the situation, so the SPDC military regime is always trying
to attack the ABFSU and to crush all the students' movements. The ABFSU is
not allowed to exist legally and has had to organize itself and struggle
secretly under the military rule.
	We, the ABFSU are deeply concerned about the future of our country because
all the universities and colleges have been closed for such a long time,
while the regime had kept open the Institutte of medicine, the Institute of
Technology just for the military and their families. During the last ten
years of military rule, the universities and colleges for civilians have
only been opened for 28 months.
	Min Ko Naing, the chairperson of the ABFSU was arrested in 1989 and he has
been detained in solitary confinement for almost 10 years up until the
present. His health condition is  now critical.
	Since January 1989, We, the ABFSU and all other students' unions have been
demending that the regime release all student prisoners, including the
chairperson Min Ko Naing. Soon after the movement began, over one hundred
students were arrested again. Some of them were sentenced to long term
inprisonment. Chairperson Min Ko Naing and over one thousand other students
are now in various prisons all over Burma.
	Therefore, we would like to request the international student community to
understand and support our movement in Burma and to undertake regional
activities to pressure the SPDC military regime to immediately do the following;

(a) To reopen all universities and colleges
(b) To release chairperson Min Ko Naing and all student prisoners,
unconditionally.

Students' Action Committee
All Burma Federation of Students' Union(ABFSU)
Rangoon.
March 7,1998.

for more information
please contact to